What's new

Zelda: Breath of the wild thoughts, Qs, hints and experiences (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's like complaining that there are too many Korok seeds when you don't actually have to collect them all.

I just recently became aware of the "reward" you get for doing so and, oh my! It seems nintendo is not without a sense of humor in discouraging you to actually go for all of these! :rolling-smiley:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Eventide is only optional if you don't want to finish all the shrines and claim the Classic Link gear. I wanted it so I had to play the island to unlock the shrine. All the major tests of strength were annoying until I figured out I could brute force the first one, then use the ancient weapons the guardian dropped to take on the guardian in the next test of strength and so on. That made them a lot easier.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Looking back after playing the game through, the easiest thing to do for most stuff was advance the story as far as possible, get the ancient arrows, and then just use them on the Major Tests of Strength. That said, the learning experience of going through one of those with okay-ish weapons and needed to strategize with bombs and arrows was pretty fun, anyway.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Looking back after playing the game through, the easiest thing to do for most stuff was advance the story as far as possible, get the ancient arrows, and then just use them on the Major Tests of Strength. That said, the learning experience of going through one of those with okay-ish weapons and needed to strategize with bombs and arrows was pretty fun, anyway.

The Ancient Arrows are insanely powerful, hence why Ancient Shafts are so rare compared to other parts. I used them very sparingly until my last charge into the castle.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I never used any of my ancient arrows. I spent most of the game hoarding, but never using, my really powerful weapons for fear of them breaking and then I wouldn't have them when I needed them. It turned out that I didn't really need them after I got the master sword. I would use that until it ran out of energy (again - really stupid design choice, IMO) then cling to the nearest cliff face for 15 minutes while the master sword re-energized. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Finally beat Calamity / Dark Beast Ganon. Game is a classic, only Zelda I've ever had the patience to finish. 10/10. But that final fight is stuuuuupid hard.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Finally beat Calamity / Dark Beast Ganon. Game is a classic, only Zelda I've ever had the patience to finish. 10/10. But that final fight is stuuuuupid hard.
I found Thunderblight Ganon to be a lot more difficult than Dark Beast. The final battle became a lot easier when I got off the stupid horse and just ran around Ganon.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
And this spoiled the final form how? It's not like anyone revealed the final form to be
a Volkswagen Beetle suspended by a hot air balloon
or anything.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My opinion is that we are well past the reasonable limit on spoilers for things like a name at this point. If I have offended you with that name I do apologize. It's not getting rolled back tho.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Since when has a Zelda game NOT featured some crazy beast version of Ganon as the final boss?

I remember seeing people on reddit were freaking out when the name of a flower in BotW was revealed BY NINTENDO on their twitter account. There's a spoiler (like "it was his sled!") and then there's a "spoiler" ("I didn't know this information before, but now I do").

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Since when has a Zelda game...as the final boss?

Twilight Princess has a three-stage final boss - Puppet Zelda, Ganon, Ganondorf. Anything's possible.

Also, the game's only been out for 6 months, and has not yet had a Christmas season. Being careful with at least the biggest spoilers is still the way to go.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I get that, but....I mean....the name of a boss in a series that is known for "Ganon/Ganondorf" being the final boss isn't much of a spoiler. I'd argue that the solution to temple puzzles, locations and details of special items, or even big plot points are spoilers. But saying something like "Thunder Ganon was a hard boss" isn't much of a spoiler.

There's gotta be a reasonable line between what is or isn't a "spoiler." Also, this is the Zelda BotW discussion thread. There's probably bound to be some degree of spoilers.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
I get that, but....I mean....the name of (the final boss in this series) isn't much of a spoiler...(And) saying something like "Thunder Ganon was a hard boss" isn't much of a spoiler (either).

Ganondorf did not exist before OoT. Neither he nor Ganon were in Majora's Mask. Ganon was not in Wind Waker...sort of. Twilight Princess had three final boss stages. Skyward Sword had no indication as to who the final boss was until just before the end. And at the beginning, BotW presents a form of Ganon never seen before, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for the final form.

So no, the series isn't totally predictable.

And I never said I had an issue with spoiling the dungeon bosses at this point. Major plot points (such as what happens after beating said bosses) and the final form of the final boss are on a whole different plane, though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To what extent does the name, for example (this is a fake one), "Super Evil Boss Ganon" really spoil anything significant? Is this in the realm of "if I don't already know it, it's a spoiler" or more "this could be giving away something important to the story that would lessen its impact if I knew it?"

Nobody posted a picture, nobody explained how you fight it, the details were simply, "This is his name, and I had a tough time beating him."

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, Gannon being the final boss in a Zelda game is like saying Bowser in a Mario game is a spoiler.

And Gannondorf has been around since the original Zelda game on the NES. No, that form of the boss wasn't in the game, but back then we had things called 'Manuals' which had significant backstory in them that mentioned Gannondorf.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
A lot can be gleaned from a name.

Clearly most, if not all of you here are not very sensitive to spoilers. But many are. Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I went on hard blackout for BotW starting when review copies were sent out and ending when I beat the game, about five or so months in total. I stopped looking at my Twitter feed, I stopped reading gaming news sites like IGN, and I stopped looking at YouTube recommendations. This was very difficult, but it paid off. The sense of discovery was preserved, and it made a huge difference,

(Mario series spoiler below )

Also, if you told people back in the day that Bowser was the final boss of Super Mario Sunshine, they would've been pissed. It was a new setting and style of gameplay for Mario, and nothing is suggested about the final boss until late in the game.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Been in my backlog for many years and was meaning to get to it, but never knew that about Super Mario Sunshine. :(

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
Been in my backlog for many years and was meaning to get to it, but never knew that about... :(

Aw. :(

If that's the truth, I'll let you spoil something about Halo 4 (my #1 backlog game) to me. I know about the final boss/ending already, but if you can find a big plot twist/character reveal, go ahead.

(Spoilered my post in any case.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks