1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Zelda: Breath of the wild thoughts, Qs, hints and experiences

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Mar 5, 2017.

1. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Digital Foundry's video has been released that covers the new patch.

Good news for Switch owners, but all but unnoticeable for Wii U fans.

2. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Have to say that as I go between this and Ocarina of Time 3D, I love the model they went with here even more than before.

As important as dungeons are to the Zelda franchise, I find myself focusing on sidequests and such in OoT while actively avoiding tackling the Water or Fire Temples (Both seem accessible with no obvious impediment to allowing me to complete them in the order I choose).

I always most enjoyed the overworld exploration and the sidequests, so the focus Nintendo placed on those elements here is just perfect where my tastes are concerned.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    F everything about the Yiga Clan Hideout. Terrible game design made worse by inability to save.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yeah, the Yiga clan part was annoying, but honestly if you commit to being stealthy and patient it doesn't really take that long. Also, you can seek out some stealth armor and that will help.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

So I finally broke open the package and loaded this on the WiiU. Once I got past the frame rate issues, the crawling jaggies and the low level of world detail, the game itself isn't too bad. So far, it is not quite as involving as H:ZD, but it is a pretty good open world game. So far, it does have H:ZD beat somewhat in one respect and that is in the ability to climb just about anything and anywhere: although, I did find you weren't allowed to climb the goddess statue in the first area.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Did you download any updates? I believe the framerate issues were helped a bunch by those.

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

It downloaded an update automatically when I installed. I made it sound worse than it is, but this game is pretty well pushing the limits of the WiiU. I'm still in the very early stage of this game. I'll have to see what happens when I start running into bosses and more missions. Right now, I'm still collecting the stuff to get the paraglider from the old man.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oh man, you're still in the first 1-2 hours of the game. I'll admit, the very early portion you're in didn't give me the absolute best impression of the game compared to the reviews. Once you're off that plateau, you'll see more of what people were talking about.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Drained the lizard. Onward to Ganon. Dunno how much side stuff I will do, time to move on to other games in the queue

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I finished BotW after completing all 120 shrines, all 76 side quests, and a bunch of other stuff (but nowhere near total completion). Debating if I want to sink some money into another game and move on (Rise of the Tomb Raider and Horizon being the two I'd probably buy and pick between) or go full-on completionist with Zelda.

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Just got started on Friday, and I'm hooked. The trick is finding time to play.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

We were discussing amiibo locking out content a while ago, and I recently learned from a Polygon article that there are knockoff NFC card amiibo that you can buy (China, Taiwan, etc. or domestic US) that look cool and are cheap. I saw a set of 17 "pocket-sized" amiibo cards that have chips mimicking the 17 amiibo that Breath of the Wild recognizes that come on a keyring for $12. Or you could spend around $250 or more trying to track down all 17. They even hacked data from the game to figure out how the new upcoming amiibos will work and some people are selling THOSE.

I would honestly consider buying these just to get access to cool stuff, like Mario Kart outfits or free items in Zelda. I have a few amiibos but have no interest in buying dozens of them.

13. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Since you tackled this big game, are you going to give the Skyrim port a go when it appears, Morgan?

I recall you commenting about the time investment in that series being the prime motivation to not give it a try, but Breath of the Wild is pretty darn huge as well and you seemed to speed through it quickly.

I haven't played my copy of Skyrim yet on the Xbox 360, but as a fan of Oblivion and Breath of the Wild, I suspect you'd enjoy it if you did.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I happened to have nothing else to play and a lot of free time recently. That said, I've still progressed through Breath of the Wild a bit slower than I'd have liked, but now I'm trying to avoid buying anything new (save money) by doing EVERYTHING I can in the game.

However, I don't even have interest in Skyrim to begin with so I won't get it. I think it's great to have that game on the Switch but that style (first person American-style RPG) doesn't interest me. I really like Zelda, so that draws me to the franchise each time. But I played Fallout 3, enjoyed it, then had zero interest in New Vegas, Fallout 4, Oblivion, Skyrim, or anything else along those lines. And by the time Skyrim is out on Switch I'll have other things to keep me busy, Switch or otherwise.

If I wanted to play Skyrim, I'd have bought it by now on something else.

LeoA likes this.
  15. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I see a ton of similarities between Breath of the Wild and Oblivion, so I still bet you'd be surprised.

I've never bothered with Fallout. I hear all the fuss, but gameplay videos have turned me off the three or four times I've contemplated buying one of them. Just not for me, I suspect.

Bryan^H likes this.
  16. Richard_Hersey

Richard_Hersey Auditioning

Richard Hersey
    I have both WII U and Switch version. For me Wii U version is better because from the first time it used to be WII U exclusive.

The update doesn't improve the performance a lot and they are more focusing on fixing some glitches.

Have spent 50 hours and i am still in middle nowhere.

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I finally bought a Switch, a pro controller, and BotW about a month ago and have been spending some time wondering Hyrule and beating shrines. 74 down so far, I have gotten the master sword, and beaten the Devine Beast Vah Ruta. I am just about to head back to Death Mountain to take on Vah Rudania. After me previously criticizing how BotW looked and how uncomfortably awkward the joycons are to use, I have come to be ok with the visual style of the game but I'm still sticking with my previous assessment of the joycons. Using the Switch in docked mode, they are functional but terrible controllers. The pro controller makes the game a much better experience. While at home, I keep my Switch docked and use the pro controller but I have began taking my Switch to work and playing during lunch with the joycons connected to the Switch itself. Playable but uncomfortable.

As far as the game itself, it is good but a bit too massive and repetitive. I've put in about 80 hours and am about halfway through and have began to lose interest in the story and want to just go take on the other Devine Beasts, head to Hyrule Castle, and finish the game. I don't care about the Korok seeds and have just about lost interest in collecting all the memories to get the "good" ending. The destructible weapons still irk me, however they are less of an issue now since I have 21 hearts (I think) and have upgraded a couple of armor sets to a decent level. The cooking metric is neat but I rarely use it. Overall, I give BotW 4 out of 5 stars. It would get a solid 5 but it's too long, it rains too often (stuck on a mountainside for 6 in-game days because of a sudden storm), the destructible weapons is a stupid, stupid thing that I have never liked in any game, the item-farming for armor upgrades and cooking for temporary attribute boosts add another level of micro-management that a Legend of Zelda game doesn't need and did I mention it rains too often?

I'm really hoping the Switch does well this fall and we get some good Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games and maybe even a good virtual console with a retro library.

Bryan^H likes this.
  18. Message #78 of 143 Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    laser

laser Stunt Coordinator

Matty
    *exhales*

After 4 months, I finally beat BotW, meaning I can finally stop avoiding spoilers. I'm SO backed up on all my web interactions...

My review.

A couple things of slighly lesser importance I forgot to mention in it. First, After seeing all kinds of great shrine puzzles early on, you eventually discover that a LOT of shrines are either samey guardian battles or just a treasure chest handed to you on a platter. Even a dozen more actual puzzle shrines would've really helped soften the blow of the weak regular dungeons. That said, the act of FINDING the shrines is just as fun as beating them, so after I found them all, what was inside of them didn't seriously nag on me.

Second, I didn't mind the breakable weapons, mainly because it made the game harder and made you think more about strategy. But that's not to say it was the best weapon system ever. The Elder Scrolls has indestructible weapons, but the entire game has a gentle scaling system that always keeps you wanting better ones, and doles them out just as gently. Less management, fewer sudden peaks and droughts of power. It probably wouldn't have worked in BotW though, as TES is a much more elaborate game, more conducive to a "slow build".

And I must stress JUST how cool all the armor looks.^_^

19. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I thought the two worst parts about the game were the Yiga Clan hideout and Eventide Island. I don't buy DLC so I'll probably never revisit this title since I finished it last month. I also believe Nintendo could have included an option to make weapons unbreakable and the game would have been just as fun and not nearly as frustrating early on.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Some of the shrines just offered up a treasure chest without a puzzle in them, but that's because there was a puzzle to find these shrines in the first place. Most shrines are just out in the open, but a handful require you to do something (Eventide Island, the 3
    "brothers," etc.) so the "puzzle" of the shrine was already completed.

Unbreakable weapons wouldn't have worked for me, but I think having one unbreakable of each "type" (sword, bow, lance, etc.) and making it so you can eventually just fill your Link up with the best weapons would have been cool. But you'd still spend nearly the whole game with breakables so it wouldn't have made a huge difference.

The Yiga clan hideout sucked but wasn't THAT bad. And Eventide, as far as I consider it, was totally optional. It's like complaining that there are too many Korok seeds when you don't actually have to collect them all.