Zelda and Metroid on the "Cube"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Reich, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

I am REAL close to making my final leap into a new machine. Gamecube looks like the winner but I must know.....will I see a Zelda title for the cube? Metroid? Knowing these titles are in the works plus the fact that Resident Evil is exclusive will be the deciding factor. I have played PS2 and Xbox at a local store, but have not played Gamecube. Are the visuals up to par with the other units?

2. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

yes both have been confirmed.

some mechanical changes in the works- zelda will be cell shaded, and metroid appears to be a FPS/thrid person hybrid.

3. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

oh, and yes, the cube (as well as it's games) is sexy.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I just got my cube yesterday and I swear to god it looks like a child's toy because its so tiny. I LOVE IT!!!

Anyway, IGN has some video and a few pics of the Zelda thing, if you want to look, but it might be hidden or part of a subscription service. I have the video. It looks really good (graphics wise) and seems to play similar to Ocarina. Some people say it looks to childish, but it still looks good.

Metroid looks very impressive as well. Only thing is, there is only about 5 seconds of video available from it and nobody has played it.

There is also Mario Sunshine, which is looking...good, I guess. Nothing amazing has been seen, but it looks like it will be classic Mario (aka, a great game).

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

[​IMG] Here's what the new Celda looksl ike.

6. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

The cel-shading on the next Zelda looks good technically...

But come on, Cel shading in videogames is becoming as commen and mundane as morphing was to cinema a few years ago. It's last years trend. I suppose it fits with Zelda (although Link now looks like Speed Racers' bastard son) but you just know the time Zelda 2003 comes out, it will be back to advancing the realism that many thought the earlier 64 games brought.

To be honost, I've outgrown Zelda. I loved the original 8bit adventure (remember the odd commercials with the psychotic kid screaming "ZELDA!, ZELDA?, ZEEELLLLDDDDAAA?!!!!???". Nintendo clearly did not know how to market the game. Or did they? I'm amazed it was so successful.) However, I'm 27 now, and while Ocarina of Time was mildly entertaining, I soon lost interest. Metroid on the other hand, I could see myself playing again, but it won't sell me a GameCube.

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Aaaaahhh! Take that picture off! It burns! It burns!

8. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Rumor has it that the plot of the latest Zelda game will feature Link getting trapped in a storybook...hence the cel-shaded look. Now, whether that'll be the whole game or just part of it, I don't know...but at least there's a reason for it to look the way it does besides being trendy.

9. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Paul,

That's an interesting twist. I never heard that before. If the game were a MIX of cel-shading and realism, then I could probably like it. However, the all-out cartoon look just bugs me. I almost expect the "Looney Tunes" logo to come up at the beginning of the game.

Mike

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The animation in the new Zelda looks incredible. It IS very Loony Tunes like, but that's fine by me. Hopefully I'll have a GC by the time this and Mario are released.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The new Zelda is the BEST LOOKING game I have EVER seen.

Anyway, Miyamoto said he was going in that more adult, dark direction with Zelda and it just felt wrong, so he decided to go in a new, more inspired, direction.

If Link is in a book, couldn't there be several different types of stories? Maybe he could be a kid, then be older or something.

In the end, we haven't seen the whole game, and it could change. Don't judge it just yet.

12. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

You have to play a game to see it??

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Mike-

You don't need to play a game to see it. I was saying visually, which is why I said best LOOKING game instead of just best game.

Graphically, the game is stunning. You can't even tell there are polygons being used and the shadows are amazing. It looks like a cartoon, and not because its cel shaded, but because of how well its done.

Even if the whole game is like this, I will still buy it.

15. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Still think the new Link looks exactly like that wanna-be Dentist Elf, Herbie, from Ruldolf the Red Nose Reindeer. LOL

16. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

for those who haven't seen it, here's the direct link to older footage of zelda in the non-toon shaded form. and here's a direct link to the toon shaded clip of the game. what i wonder is whatever happened to that original idea? maybe it is possible that the whole "trapped in a storybook" idea is true?

17. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike

18. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Matt,
    Thanks for those links (no pun intended [​IMG] ).
    There's other show footage from previous Zelda taken 'from the floor' where the audience went absolutely apeshit. Then you hear the response from the 'new' Zelda and the response was lukewarm at best.
    Seeing the older footage makes me cry. It's too bad that's not the direction they're taking the game.
    Mike

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

That video reel from last year was 100% concept footage, not gameplay footage and not video from final versions of any game. They said that when they showed it, so assuming that Zelda would look like that is somewhat foolish. It was more to show off what the GameCube could do.

In some videos for Metal Gear Solid 2, Hideo Kojima had his programmers reprogram certain parts to keep the identity of a character hidden from the public until the release day. When people actually play the game, they don't play as Solid Snake at parts where he was being used in the videos. People called it false advertising, but assuming that it was the final version is a little foolish.

Zelda could change again. Right now, it seems like this is what the game will be like, for better or worse. I have nothing wrong with it.