ZEIGFELD IN MANHATTAN---digital projection???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich E, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Rich E

Rich E Agent

i've noticed in the papers that "monsters inc" is listed as being digitally projected at the zeigfeld theater.

Just wondering if anyone in the area has seen this and what the verdict is.

I believe this is the first film projected digitally at this theater and was wondering if the fact that it's not live action had something to do with this.

I'm sure they will be playing LORD OF THE RINGS there so eventually i'll be able to check it out for myself.

as an analogy...

As an audio engineer friend of mine pointed out, when sampler keyboards first came out people thought they would be the new thing, but eventually became their own entity. Meaning they did not replace pianos but gave rise to a new form of expression.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a film digitally projected and leave the theater thinking that was just as good as film, I could not tell the difference.

I love old movies and belive this is the only way you will ever see them in the theater on a regular basis.

just thinking out loud.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I saw Monsters Inc. DLPed (not at the Ziegfeld) and was impressed by the projection quality, but got a headache. Whether it had anything to do with DLP I don't know.

Ted

4. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

I used to be a projectionist for a corporate staging company, where I worked primarily with DLPs from Christie Digital (formerly Roadie). After visiting Infocomm '00 and reading various trade articles, I have little doubt that digital projection is an inevitablilty ( as soon as the implementation costs are figured out). The studios stand to gain too much money by sending data rather than thousands of very heavy prints (4-5 reels apiece) while charging the same admission price. While some advantages are obvious (no print wear, less projection booth responsibility, etc.) other, more aesthetic issues have yet to be addressed (limited resolution and gamma differences between film and video being paramount). But once they are, that will pertty much be it for the large multiplexes. Local art-houses and mom 'n' pop theaters will keep actual film alive as a secondary market, but the Majors will release digitally.

-Christian

5. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I've seen several films in DLP and none of them looked as good as a good film print. The most noticable problem is that I can very clearly see the edges of pixels during any type of text or credit.