Zatoichi box set?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Corey Hall, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Corey Hall

Corey Hall Agent

Does anyone know if Home Vision plans on doing a mega box set for the Zatoichi movies? They could even do like MGM did with the Bond movies and do only a few at a time. I've held off buying these just for this reason. Also, IMDB shows that there were 26 movies with Shintaro Katsu, but Home Vision has only released up to 19 not counting #16, which I've heard has legal issues. Will they release the other 7/8 movies?

2. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    No, they won't be releasing the other films.

Animeigo has the rights to most of them, and Media Blasters (via their Tokyo Shock label) has the rights to #26.

The Animeigo releases are fantastic, and Media Blasters (from what I've seen of the disk) did a good job with the final film.

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I've been holding out for a box set for this as well. I'll wait and see. I'm waiting for Lone Wolf and cub as well. I think the last film from that series was just released, so hopefully a box well come out.

4. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Even if they can't release all of the films in a single box-set, it would be nice if they released as many as they could. Even just bundling existing releases together would be great. I'd shell out for it.

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If you want a physical box, AnimEigo may provide it. I know that with anime titles they control part but not all of, they will make a box with a space for the title which has to be bought in from another company. Only people I know who do that. [​IMG] As for releasing titles in a bundle, you'd think the various companies would do that, since this is something which is collected by series.

6. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

Christopher's 100% right. If you purchase any of the Lone Wolf & Cub or Zatoichi titles from them through their website, they will include a free handsome box to store them in.

What a nice bonus!

http://www.animeigo.com/

7. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

The animeigo VHS release of LW&C had the popular continuous photo that was completed when you stacked all the tapes together from left to right. I did not see that they did the same with the DVD's.

One thing cool about the Home Vision releases is that you get posters and trading cards with your DVD's.

They usually go for around 15 bux so I would not wait for a boxed set if I were you. I have them all so far and they look great on my shelf.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Darren, thanks for the link for the boxes! I'd not heard this & luckily I still needed a volume in both the Lone Wolf and Zatoichi sets! [​IMG]

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I saw something called Zatoichi the blind swordsman : Collector's Giftset from AnimEgo on DVDsoon for March 22, 2005. It lists the following:

I've just started watching the Lone wolf and Cub series, and the DVD's on these have Zatoichi trailers that look pretty awesome. Can anyone vouch on the quality of these, as far as Zatoichi films go, and where these place in the series? the price is very attractive, $67.98, less than $10bucks a title (Canadian)

10. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

There's a Zatoichi/Samurai Cinema thread which addresses this specifically; but suffice to say that it's AnimEigo. That there is your guarantee of quality: the best available source materials, lovingly transferred, restored, translated, and subtitled. New anamorphic, or was it HD, transfers for the films as I recall. As for whether the movies themselves are any good, I'm not enough into samurai movies to say.

11. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

There is a set being released on March 8, but I think it is just a collection of Zatoichi discs previously released by AnimEigo.

Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo
    Zatoichi the Outlaw, aka The Blind Swordsman's Rescue
    Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival
    Zatoichi at Large
    Zatoichi in Desperation
    Zatoichi's Conspiracy
    Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman

They are relatively nice transfers and come in a collector's box set at a good price. I have it on pre-order.