Zappa question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

This one's for the Zappa fans:

I have a lot of his stuff, but now I'm going back and filling in the gaps of the collection. I just bought Studio Tan. However, I also have Lather. It seems that all of the tracks on Studio Tan are on Lather. Is it the same versions, or are they edited differently or something? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I should keep Studio Tan. The same seems to be true for Orchestral Favorites, except that Bogus Pomp is not on Lather.

NP: Frank Zappa, Baby Snakes, CD

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I am guessing you have not opened Studio Tan. I was thinking that you should just listen and find out - but then it occured to me that you might not have opened it.

Anyway, I don't have Studio Tan but I do have Lather. I have noticed that there are a lot of different versions of the original song on Lather (or maybe it's the other way around)

It seems to me that this would be a good reason to find some free mp3's just to find out. Of course delete them once you listen.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Somewhat OT.

I hope you are collecting some Captain Beefheart to go along with your Zappa.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, STUDIO TAN was a mid 70's album. I remember hearing it at a friend's house. I'd say it has the original versions, if they're not the same anyway. Zappa made about 60 albums, give or take a few, not including greatest hits and other compilations. Who knows how many of his current albums are repackaged, I don't know?

I second the Captain Beefheart recommendation. The Captain was a high-school chum of Zappa's. He sings IN FRANCE for Zappa, BTW, and maybe a few others which I cannot remember? IN FRANCE is about as funny as VALLEY GIRL, funnier IMO, but I apparently don't count on the top 200 since IN FRANCE wasn't a big hit...it sounds like one, me thinks! My two favourite Beefheart albums are CLEAR & THE SPOTLIGHT KID, but then what do I know? Everybody else seems to like TROUT MASK REPLICA.

Beefheart's music is a mix of blues, R & B, and rock. I'd call blues the biggest influence. There's a lot of mouth harp, often. His lyrics vary from sounding very mainstream, he sounds like a soul singer on HER EYES ARE A BLUE MILLION MILES AWAY (from Clear Spot), to silly fun/ny stuff like GROW FINS, I'M GOING TO BOOGLARIZE YOU BABY from The Spotlight Kid album. CLEAR SPOT has eviormental type messge woven in to it. He has a gowling blues voice on most things but he'll suprise you and sound very different on some cuts.

Wild Man Fisher was friends with Zappa and Beefheart too. His music is very lacking though, IMO. Best wishes from the owner of about 20 Zappa albums!

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yes, I do have a couple of Beefheart albums. Trout Mask Replica and Safe as Milk. Safe as Milk is lots of fun, but I love TMR. Me and a buddy used to listen to that one all the time, and run around quoting odd snippets of lyrics.
    I'm actually a huge Zappa freak, and have over 50 CDs, maybe 60. I was just trying to figure out if keeping Studio Tan was worth it. It looks like it's not. The tracks are:
    1. The Adventures of Gregorry Peckary
    This 20+ minute long story-song is cute to hear once in a long while, but this is not my favorite thing that Zappa did. This, and Billy the Mountain, get kind of annoying. Having the one version on Lather is enough.
    2. Low Budget Music for Guitar and Orchestra
    I'm pretty sure this is the same one on Lather. I may listen to them back to back to be certain. This is a fantastic piece, and the kind of thing I listen to Zappa for.
    3. Let Me Take You To the Beach
    [​IMG] "silly poop," as Zappa would say
    4. RDNZL
    This is probably my favorite Zappa instrumental. If it is different than the Lather version, the whole CD may be worth keeping just for that.
    The other CDs that came from Lather are:
    1. Live in New York
    I've heard this, and will get it. One of the best live albums ever. Though most of it is presented on Lather, some isn't, like Cruising for Burgers, Black Page #2, and Torture Never Stops, and I Am the Slime, with Don Pardo (Saturday Night Live announcer) "singing" the bridge.
    2. Orchestral Favorites
    Duke of Prunes is on Lather, but I think it's edited differently. Bogus Pomp and Strictly Genteel are not. Though these pieces are on other albumsin verious forms, I'm a big enough Zappa fan to keep this one.
    3. Sleep Dirt
    Most of the music from Sleep Dirt is on Lather but without the annoying female vocals. I'll still probably get this one, though, just for kicks, and the guitar duet.
    Other Zappa CDs on my to-get list:
    Lumpy Gravy, Have I Offended Someone? (if only for that awesome version of Dumb All Over), London Symphony Orchestra (even though I can't make heads or tells of that stuff), Mystery Disc, Lost Episodes, 200 Motels, and Francesco Zappa. I may or may not get Playground Psychotics, as the Flo & Eddie stuff is my least favorite Zappa era.
    And, yes, I do plan on getting more Captain Beefheart at some point. The Mirror Man Session looks like a good one.
    NP: Robert Fripp, Soundscapes Volume 1: Radiophonics, CD

6. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Mike, you have to put Thing Fish on your list!!

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Chris, I got Thing Fish the other day, and have heard it before. It's... odd. Only for hardcore Zappa fans. I've seen Ike Willis perform with Project/Object a couple of times performing Zappa's music, so it's a cool album to have for that reason, but it's not the kind of thing I'll listen to more than once every couple of years.

NP: King Crimson, B'Bomm, CD

8. David Egan

David Egan Stunt Coordinator

Zappa wanted to release LATHER as a four record set but the record company wouldn't go for it and they re-edited the music and released it as individual LPs including SLEEP DIRT and STUDIO TAN. While these releases have some music on them that is not on LATHER, I prefer to stick with the original concept.

While Zappa's individualistic and iconoclastic approach resulted in much brilliant work, it also resulted in some amazing failures. MAN FROM UTOPIA and THING-FISH are among the worst albums ever recorded. I've been listening to a lot of Zappa lately but feel no need to own everything he ever released.

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The recordings on the CD for Studio Tan should be the same on Läther (I'll check when I get home) but they may be different than the original vinyl. When Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt came out on CD originally, Frank added vocals to some of the instrumental compositions (though this might only be true for Sleep Dirt).
    FYI-Barfko Swill is taking preorders for Franz Zappa and the Mothers Live in Australia 1976 (2cds, 140+ minutes). The first 5000 people who preorder get thanked in the liner notes (I ordered mine).
    I think I have about 100 FZ titles, I haven't counted lately, but I have everything that came out legit and a few boots too.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

David, I know I'm in an odd minority, but I actually like Man From Utopia. For one thing, there are two great instrumentals not found anywhere else. The Dangerour Kitchen and Jazz Discharge Party Hats are quite clever from a conceptual point of view. Some tracks are rather pedestrian, like Stick Together and Sex. Not his best work, of course, but it has enough good moments to merit the album.

Larry, none of the instrumentals on Studio Tan have added vocals.

Your Zappa collection is impressive, and I'm aspiring to match it.

NP: Randy Weston, Spirits of Our Ancestors, CD

11. Mark F Hall

Mark F Hall Agent

"In France" was sung by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson on Them or Us. not by Beefheart.

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

FYI: FZ albums w/ Beefheart (this is probably not complete, but off the top of my head):

Hot Rats (sings on Willie the Pimp)

One Size Fits All (harmonica on San Ber'dino* and Can't Afford No Shoes) * also on Strictly Commercial

Bongo Fury (vocals on Debra Kadabra, Sam With The Showing Scalp Flat Top, Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead, 200 Years Old, Advance Romance, and Man With The Woman Head)...I've also seen bootlegs for this 1975 tour on Ebay but haven't bought any.

Zoot Allures (harmonica on Find Her Finer)

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 4 (sings on original version of The Torture Never Stops)...This is also on Cheap Thrills.

The Lost Episodes (Lost in a Whirlpool, Tiger Roach, I'm a Band Leader, Alley Cat, Grand Wazoo, also cowrote Fountain of Love)

Mystery Disc: (co wrote I Was A Teenage Malt Shop, The Birth Of Captain Beefheart and Metal Man Has Won His Wings)