Zappa on DVD-A, DVD-V

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

Halloween '78 is headed to DVD-A (to be released on DTS).
    From Joe Travers' (vaultmeister) webpage:
    Next up, as you may have heard, is the release of Halloween '78 on a DTS DVD-Audio disc...
    He goes on to say that they are shooting to have it out before this Halloween, but that's not going to happen.
    Joe Chiccarelli is creating the new surround mix.
    Over on USENET, a caller to the Pumpkin line found out that we might see a couple of DVDs first:
    Me: We love FZ:OZ.
    Him: Great!
    Me: What can you tell me about the next release, the DVD-A.
    Him: Well, the next release is going to be Baby Snakes on DVD.
    Me: (long pause). Really.
    Him: Yes, that's according to the boss, you know, Gail. Baby Snakes WILL
    be released before the end of the year, and then the Roxy DVD will come
    out early next year, then probably an audio title.
    Me: OK, that's great.. um, what would the audio release be?
    Him: I'm not at liberty to say at this point, I'm sorry.
    Me: OK, that's fine. So, what can you tell me about the DVD Audio
    release, the 1978 Halloween thing?
    Him: I don't know what you're talking about. There's been no announcement
    about that.
    Me: (not wanting to incriminate sources inside the organization), Well, I
    read this interview with Joe Chicarelli, about him mixing it for surround.
    Him: All I can say is there is no official information about that at this
    time.
    Me: So, you'll neither confirm nor deny.
    Him: I don't even know what a DVD is. (laughs).

I'm trying to be optimistic that delays won't push these back over and over for the next 8 years.
    I'm emailing Joe Travers right now to beg for uncompressed PCM stereo tracks to be included on all releases.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh man, that would be so great. A DVD-A of Zappa? Sounds too good to be true.

Baby Snakes would be cool to have. Does "the Roxy DVD" refer to the same concert from which "Roxy & Elsewhere" was recorded? That would be a dream come true- it is simply one of the most phenomenal live albums ever.

OZ is a pretty cool live album- not great, but musically interesting.

I started visiting their web page more often.

NP: Miles Davis, Musings of Miles, DCC gold CD

3. Michael St. Clair

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. Michael St. Clair

BTW, Dweezil has also confirmed this DVD-A.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Michael, maybe you and I are thinking of different things when we say "overdub."

All through YCTDOSA, except maybe #2, Zappa took solos and various musical bits from all over the place and slapped them together- sometimes even taking things from other band lineups and different songs. I was considering this "overdubbing," even though he wasn't re-playing the music in the studio; but he is presenting something that isn't an accurate recording of the performance that it is listed as.

The '88 band stuff was probably not messed around with, though. I would also guess the Roxy band and maybe the Live in New York stuff.

7. Michael St. Clair

Mike,

If I remember correctly, the entire YCDTOSA series was supposed to be completely overdub free. Heavily edited, yes. Collage, yes. But each snippet from a given performance was not to be overdubbed (either in the studio, or layering tracks from different live recordings).

Maybe my memory is failing me. A cursory search of USENET for 'YCDTOSA overdubs' seems to confirm it, though.

Of course, like 70s Crimson, some 'studio' albums (OSFA, Sheik Yerbouti, probably others) were actually based on live tracks...with both studio overdubs and also layering different live performances, even improvs, on top of each other.

Funny how many people I know who like either Crim or Zappa but not both. I've never understood that.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I can't wait to see the Zappa dvd's. I've been waiting to see the reruns of SNL to see FZ but they don't show them. I just ordered the FZ:OZ cd. Hopefully it will come soon. There's is some interesting stuff on zappa.com. If you go to Gail's page, there is some streaming audio. One is of a recent radio interview that I think sheds some light on future recordings/video.

11. Michael St. Clair

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

A couple of years ago during a case of insomnia, I was flipping through the dials and came across an old SNL. Belushi was giving an intro talking about a "great American icon" or something, very seriously- yep, it was Frank. I rushed to get a VHS tape to record the show. Hopefully, I still have it somewhere.

He performed Dancin' Fool and something else. Later on in the show they did Approximate (IIRC), with Zappa conducting. In the middle of that, Belushi, dressed up as the samurai, came on the stage with a guitar which had a microphone attached to it. He faked playing and sang into the mike, trading "licks" with the band. It was very bizarre.

Zappa was a good sport- he was in a Coneheads sketch where he imitated the way Akroyd ate, which was pretty funny, and had a plug for the then-new album Studio Tan (ironically, the only one I don't have, since all that material is on Lather). He was also in another long and boring sketch at the end of the show.

I'll have to look for that tape...

NP: Wes Montgomery, So Much Guitar, DCC Gold CD

13. Michael St. Clair

The faq at Barfko-swill has been updated.
    There are lots of smart alec questions and answer there. Here's the best stuff: