What's new

Zappa DVD- real? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I saw a DVD of Does Humor Belong in Music in a store recently. Since I haven't heard anything about it, I'm wondering if this isn't just some bootleg. If it's the real deal, does anyone have it? How is it? Same music as on the CD?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's not a bootleg, but it doesn't have great distribution.

Zappa sold the rights to this concert outright back in the VHS days, so the Zappa Family Trust has no control over the release.

Some may consider that a plus, some may consider that a minus.

I agree it is worth buying, though it's not my favorite era.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Got it as a birthday present. Before it came out, there was a big to-do about it all over the web, so I was anticipating it. That's why I was suspicious when I saw this DVD and there wasn't the same fanfare. That fact that it's not owned by the ZFT explains it.

I'll pick it up next time I see it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"HUMOR" is listed as "Very Long Wait" in my Netflix queue right now. Unlike "Baby Snakes", I'd never seen it before, and I'm not quite as much a fan of this period of Zappa.

Speaking of favorite band incarnations, does that trailer on the "baby snakes" DVD mean that "Live at the Roxy" (or whatever that film's called) is coming out on DVD?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

The ZFT is supposedly still committed to the Roxy project. Unless 'Baby Snakes' was a financial loss, it is safe to say that the work continues.

I think Dweezil warned a while back that the visual elements (film, I think) need a lot of work.

Anyhow, no projected release date.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Some brief comments...

I have the "Humor" DVD-V. Audio is uncompressed PCM stereo 16/48, and video is very acceptable. The stereo mix is nothing fantastic, but it is, as far as I can tell, FZ's original mix delivered back in the day when the VHS came out. It's the best I've ever heard it sound.

Cheers,

Brant

Auditioning
I still have a copy of Does Humor Belong in Music? on laserdisc. Pick it up while stationed in Japan. Fun concert, emphasis is on humor not many (if any) extended guitar solos if I recall. It's been a couple of years since I've played it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I bought and watched this DVD. Not bad. The interviews were cute even if they were in place of music.

My big problem is that it's only an hour long, but there ya go.

And there are a couple of nice solos by Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks