What's new

Zane Grey Theater (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Here you go, Michael . . . .

Amazon.com: Zane Grey Theatre Complete Season One: Dick Powell, Ida Lupino, David Niven, Eddie Albert, Mary Astor, Ralph Bellamy, James Best, Ernest Borgnine, Lloyd Bridges, Rory Calhoun, Lee J. Cobb, Robert Culp, John Derek, Jack Elam, John Forsythe

Nice bonus features: Video Interview with Norman Powell (Dick Powell's son) by Joel Blumberg, Audio Interview on the history of Four Star Productions with author Christine Becker by Joel Blumberg, Classic TV Commercials.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for that link, Bob. I see from the product description that ZGT launched no less than 5 tv western spin-offs, including "Black Saddle" where Chris Alcaide narrowly missed getting the Peter Breck role. The cover looks different than what was shown on tvshowsondvd.com though it appears that "Theater" is still spelled as "Theatre".

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Very glad to see this release has a firm date.

Now for season two of Burke's Law...

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
This looks to be released right around the time of the DD 20%-off sale (assuming it occurs again in the "usual" time frame), so pricing for this set should be very reasonable. It's actually showing at DD right now for $24.48, so it's very possible we'll see this for under $20 shipped. Sold!!!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...uctId=67455374

S

silverking

I've been looking at the spec for this & I'm a little concerned.

Run time is given as 870 minutes. Given that a typical 1/2 hour show from this period was 25 or 26 minutes, the run time here indicates just over 22 minutes which was the usual cut version when going to syndication. Perhaps VCI could confirm ?

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Chris, the first season of Zane Grey Theater was 30 episodes, which means the 780 minute run time is spot on for uncut episodes. I'll definately be picking this set up. Hopefully, sales of this show will be strong enough for VCI to release all five seasons. I also hope that VCI licenses another Four Star show, The Westerner, which is one of my all-time favorite series.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Happy to see this, but I hope season 2 is also released. It sports such celebrities as Claudette Colbert, Hedy Lamaar, Joseph Cotton, Barbara Stanwyck, etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
With this show finally getting released, let's hope VCI's next Four Star project is S2 of "Burke's Law"!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
VCI Entertainment has posted some video clips of the upcoming release at their web site. Click the movie player on the home page for more information. There are a lot of great guest stars, but there is no confirmation of the release date, only that it's coming this Summer.

VCI Entertainment: Home

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
VCI's product page is now up . . . .

ZANE GREY THEATRE COMPLETE SEASON ONE

Look at the guest star list:

Dick Powell
Ida Lupino
David Niven
Eddie Albert
Mary Astor
Ralph Bellamy
James Best
Ernest Borgnine
Lloyd Bridges
Rory Calhoun
Lee J. Cobb
Robert Culp
John Derek
Jack Elam
John Forsythe
Beverly Garland
James Garner
Sterling Hayden
Celeste Holm
John Ireland
David Janssen
Carolyn Jones
DeForest Kelley
Cloris Leachman
Jack Lemmon
Julie London
Strother Martin
Ralph Meeker
Jack Palance
Denver Pyle
Robert Ryan
Stuart Whitman
James Whitmore
and many others

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I'm in for this one! Does this title have to be purchased from VCI directly or can one buy it on Amazon or another online retailer?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Never mine Bob, I answered my own question. Amazon is selling it for $29.99 and it is being released June 9th.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

And it is being released right around the time of, knock on wood, Deep Discount's 20-25% off sale. So, if that current price holds, you're looking at a little under $20 shipped for the set.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
There is something strange about DVD Pacific now. When you put many of these smaller label items in your basket and try to check out, they say something like nonstandard item and the shipping is sometimes almost as much as the set - no free shipping. This happened to me a couple of times, and now I have given up on them.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
FYI: My credit card information was stolen after a single transaction with DVD Pacific. Apparently this has been a problem with them in the past, according to a warning thread at DVDTalk. I'm done with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks