What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought he was too skinny and small to be Ozymandias, and now they want him to be Superman?!?

And the costume in the GL trailer looks terrible. I mean, seriously terrible.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Matthew Goode as Clark Kent/Superman? Noooooooo!!!!!!

http://www.movienewz.com/matthew-goode-frontrunner-for-superman-reboot/

They are thinking of CGI-ing Goode in the Superman suit (a la Green Lantern's CGI'd suit in the upcoming GL movie). *groan*
How credible is MovieNewz? I've never heard of them before. If it was coming from Dark Horizons, CHUD, AICN or IGN, I might put more stock into the rumor.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh Thomas, must you be so doubting? These are all just rumors until they make the official announcements.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Nolan has departed the Superman reboot

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18843/nolan-departs-superman-reboot

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Thats good news for Batman3.

Im not liking the idea of CGIing a the actor to make him fit the role physically. Although I loved Watchmen, I did have issues with Doc Manhattans build - His triceps and thighs were out of proportion and there was some wierdness with his back in alot of shots. It distracts me when watching the film.

Good old fashioned exercise never really fails.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Chris Reeve wasn't exactly Hulk Hogan, and yet he pulled it off. Same with Routh. Height and looks are the main thing, and just don't have him be so scrawny that it's ridiculous. This is the kind of boneheaded decision that will kill it in its crib.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I hope the studio is catching hell for this, I'll go so far as to say that if they go through with both that actor and digitally altering him I won't be seeing this movie and that's not easy for me to say, or at the very least I won't pay to see it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't see a need to CG muscles on Superman but I can't understand how anyone can make a big deal out of it either. No one freaked out that the guys in 300 had their abs CG-ed on so they would more resemble the characters they were portraying so, outside of that it's never been done in the other movies, what's the difference with doing that for Superman? If anything, it gets closer to the look of the character who is generally drawn muscle bound to a level that most human beings could never get to.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
A comic book isnt a movie though. Even comic books have taken the hint from film, and Ive noticed in some of the stuff Ive seen in recent years, although Ill admit its not much, that theyre not drawing all characters musclebound anymore, which has pretty much been standard practice all these decades (with a few exceptions like Spiderman and Nightcrawler).

Ive always felt Superman shouldnt be musclebound, more naturally large - sort of the Russell Crowe type build.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Because it's laziness.

The actor could hit the gym and work for it, making himself bigger and more muscular for real...nothing beats real.

I don't hate CGI like a lot of people but this is just plain lazy..."no need to work out, computers to the rescue!"

If we're going to take the "it's okay if they augment the actor to make him closer to an ideal Superman" mentality why not just hire DJ Qualls to play Supes?

We have to draw the line somewhere and I'm drawing mine right here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JonZ said:
/forum/thread/297988/superman-flying-under-christopher-nolan-s-wing/90#post_3757253
The actor could hit the gym and work for it, making himself bigger and more muscular for real...nothing beats real.
C'mon, it's not like they're going to take some fat guy and paste a whole new body on him. It's Hollywood, they're going to hire a handsome and already very fit actor, have him weight train so he can bulk up and then they'll augment his already existing muscles with CG (just like they did with 300 and no one complained about the actors hitting the gym for that movie).
Once again, I'm not saying that I see any reason to add CG muscles to Superman but I don't see it as a reason to boycott a movie either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
One can only hope they do that, but if they get a very fit actor who already looks the part why even bother augmenting him at all?
I agree but presumably, they want Superman to more resemble most comic book intreptations where he looks like a body builder.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I guess my feeling is that if they're going to rely on CG to make the actor look like Superman, I'd rather they just use CG to make Christopher Reeve the star of the film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Or make an entirely computer animated Superman film using motion capture. I recently watched the Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol and they did an amazing job creating an almost photo real virtual world.

I'm aware that I've just gone from damning a CG creation to endorsing an entire film using CG but if they're going to use CGI to create a Superman I would rather he be entirely CG along with an entire CG world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks