What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/man-steel-early-tracking-suggests-100-million-splash-204941944.html

"Fandango reported Wednesday that “Man of Steel,” opening June 14, is outselling the previous 2013 summer movies at the same time in the sales cycle. The site began offering tickets on May 21."

"Still, box office observers are suggesting muscular B.O. legs for the superhero reboot, which WB will release overseas through the end of June.
“It’s very good,” one rival exec admits."

Sounds like Warner Brothers is aiming low, knowing full well this has a chance to pass Iron Man 3 as the highest grossing film of the year. To be quite honest, if Man of Steel can even come close to Iron Man 3, it will be a gigantic success for a re-boot. If it were to pass Iron Man 3 ... Katy bar the door

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Warner Bros. is in full expectations-management mode with its $75 million projection forthe opening weekend. If the movie underperforms, it allows the studio to save face. It itperforms in line with the real projections, than the studio gets to brag about how the openingweekend came in well above the publicized projections.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
WB can't afford a 'disappointment' here. Not even a whiff of it. So, the $75m is a good number to release to the press. I'm sure it breaks $100m for the weekend.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I wish the filmmakers the best but MOS has the same drag on it that Batman Begins did. Both films face(d) the task of overcoming the inertia of indifference the previous film left with the general movie going public.

MOS should break $100 million opening weekend but I would not be surprised if if didn't.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
To answer my own question about General Zod and the others and whether they also have super powers, well the BBFC website was helpful.

"In the second half of the film, General Zod and his allies arrive on Earth to kill Superman. They all have the same superpowers as Superman and their battles are therefore evenly matched. Nonetheless, huge destruction and devastation are inflicted on the city of Metropolis as the battling protagonists throw and punch each, crashing into and through buildings. During the course of these prolonged battles there are a couple of crunchy neck breaks but no injury detail is shown."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Am I the only one kind of sick of the Zod storyline? I Mean, is that all they know how to do as a movie? I've seen it repeatedly; the originals, the animated, even Superman Returns referenced and built on it, but at least it was a bit different.

It seems like we are getting repeatedly the origin story and Zod. I would be OK with them doing something totally different; I mean, hell.. there are characters like Braniac.. which just made a great animated movie (Superman Unlimited I believe) etc.

I'm still going to give this a shot, but I'm a bit worried that it doesn't seem "that original"

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Outside of Supes II, I don't know much about Zod. This is probably true for most non-Supes followers. I think Brainiac in his current iterations is too complicated and sci-fi-ish to make for a good movie villain. They needed one guy for an actor to play to the hilt. Luthor was a non-starter after the last film, and Bizarro is too...bizarre. As is Mr. Mxytlplyk (or whatever). Metallo is too Iron Man, Doomsday is too CGI/monster-ish, and Darkseid? I think they're saving him and hoping Marvel's Thanos doesn't trump them.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Reviews are scattered. But, McWeeny is gushing and Faraci is more balanced but still favorable. Those are the two guys I trust for genre film reviews.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mattCR said:
Am I the only one kind of sick of the Zod storyline? I Mean, is that all they know how to do as a movie? I've seen it repeatedly; the originals, the animated, even Superman Returns referenced and built on it, but at least it was a bit different.

It seems like we are getting repeatedly the origin story and Zod. I would be OK with them doing something totally different; I mean, hell.. there are characters like Braniac.. which just made a great animated movie (Superman Unlimited I believe) etc.

I'm still going to give this a shot, but I'm a bit worried that it doesn't seem "that original"
I agree. They seem to keep covering the same ground again and again in these movies. Why not do something new?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks for the above link, i just read the review, It does seem to be a modern day problem with films in that they need to spell everything out, are audiences today really that stupid, it sounds like they might have forgotten to give this film a heart, that's something the original Christopher Reeve version had in spades.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
Wow, the ready-to-hate in this thread is off the charts.
Not hate, that's a strong word, i'm just replying to the review, i'll probably find plenty to like about the film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ill add a very positive review to counter the negative one I posted earlier.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/man-of-steel-best-superman-movie/12497

As for being "ready to hate", Brandon, we've both been members of this foum a long time, and you should know my love for the genre.

I linked that review because the reviewers comments really struck a chord with me. I'd say his complaints for MOS relate to my dislike of The Amazing Spiderman perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks