What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think they got some of their inspiration for this new movie from the nineties television show of Superman, in that show they had Kryptonians come to Earth in a spaceship just like we see in the trailer for Man of Steel, i think originality is dead in Hollywood, if it ever really existed, people just recycle and recycle, but then the scriptwriters of today grew up watching all the old stuff so that's hardly surprising.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
I think they got some of their inspiration for this new movie from the nineties television show of Superman, in that show they had Kryptonians come to Earth in a spaceship just like we see in the trailer for Man of Steel, i think originality is dead in Hollywood, if it ever really existed, people just recycle and recycle, but then the scriptwriters of today grew up watching all the old stuff so that's hardly surprising.
The comics since the mid-80s have highlighted this type of stuff. This is an adaptation of a comic series after all - how original do you want them to go?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
The comics since the mid-80s have highlighted this type of stuff. This is an adaptation of a comic series after all - how original do you want them to go?
More original than we usually get and i never read the comics and i would argue that most of the potential audience for the film will never have read the comics either.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
Is there no one in Hollywood with the guts to do a Brainiac story and kill Superman onscreen?
I did spot the silhouette of Brainiac's ship in one of the snippets from one of the MoS trailers. For all we know, that's how Zod and company going tripping through the universe until the AI goes Dave-HAL-Sentient. :D . Please don't let this movie be "Sucker Punch 2"...

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Chuck Anstey said:
My biggest concern over how this plays out is the possible notion that somehow a civilian who has hidden and rarely exercised his full capability is going to take on 3 trained soldiers, to whom Superman is just a normal untrained man.
Isn't Kal-El a rarity in this story? I was under the impression Kal-El was one of the first natural born children in generations based on what I've read about this story. My assumption is, despite him being from the same planet as Zod, he's also entirely different.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
It's hard to be too original when you're talking about an origin story that is known by more people than any other origin story sans the Bible. You have to build around the framework of a story nearly everybody knows. You can't re-write Superman's origin.

But you can do it differently, and there's nothing concrete about the occurences on Krypton, or Earth. There's alot of breathing room for Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan on this one. And with the cast we are dealing with here, I don't think it could be a bad movie. Well, I guess it could be, and Zack Snyder in the past has left me cold, but I so desparately want a successful Superman franchise that it just has to be good. Christopher Nolan does some great work.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
JeremyR said:
Isn't Kal-El a rarity in this story? I was under the impression Kal-El was one of the first natural born children in generations based on what I've read about this story. My assumption is, despite him being from the same planet as Zod, he's also entirely different.
If that is true in the movie then I sure hope it is well explained rather than just assuming that I or anyone else is familiar with this idea or attribute of Krypton. All I have ever known or seen is that Jor-El was the one person with the foresight to know the planet was doomed and saved his boy and other fathers might have done the same had they believed him.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JeremyR said:
Does this mean Zod and the other Kryptonians have no powers and cannot fly this time around. ?

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't know, I just know that one of the lease kept secrets about this movie is that Kal-El is completely unique in being a natural born Kryptonian, something that I don't believe any other Kryptonian is.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
More original than we usually get and i never read the comics and i would argue that most of the potential audience for the film will never have read the comics either.
Most of the audience will not have seen the 90s cartoon, either, so that type of stuff will be new to them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
Most of the audience will not have seen the 90s cartoon, either, so that type of stuff will be new to them.
That's true, although it was the live action show Lois and Clark i was referring to earlier in the thread.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I am geeked to see it! I have only one trepidation at this point as I watch materials come out...

I think Amy Adams is miscast. She's too 'sweet' and, frankly, too old for the part.

But, I don't think it will hurt the film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quentin said:
I am geeked to see it! I have only one trepidation at this point as I watch materials come out...

I think Amy Adams is miscast. She's too 'sweet' and, frankly, too old for the part.

But, I don't think it will hurt the film.
Good actress though and i think she will pull it off.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd been okay with Amy Adams for one Superman film, but we all know they are going for a trilogy of films with this franchise, and by the time they're done filming the 3rd film, she'll be in her mid-40s. I know it sounds shallow of me, but these are archetypes, characters that "never grow old", so Amy will look probably much older than Cavill will by the 3rd film. Plus, if Amy's not too old, why not Rose Byrne (5 years younger than Amy), who at least looks the part of Lois Lane from her comic book roots, while Amy Adams is more of a fit for Lana Lang. But I'm far past her casting. Just hoping for a good story.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Gave in and watched it. No real spoilers if you saw the trailers. More excited now than before!
So does General Zod and his cohorts have super powers in this new film or are they the same as humans but with armour and better technology. ?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
FoxyMulder said:
So does General Zod and his cohorts have super powers in this new film or are they the same as humans but with armour and better technology. ?
At first, I thought you could tell that from the trailer...I mean Zod is flying at him and gets punched into a train. Then, I realized that it could all be from the armor! But, if they aren't supers, how is Superman a super? The sun would affect them the same as him presumably...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Quentin said:
At first, I thought you could tell that from the trailer...I mean Zod is flying at him and gets punched into a train. Then, I realized that it could all be from the armor! But, if they aren't supers, how is Superman a super? The sun would affect them the same as him presumably...
I think its because he is a natural born Kryptonian, as mentioned above, he is the first born naturally in generations, maybe Zod and the others aren't and because of that don't have any powers, i hope not, i would like Superman to have a real challenge with his own kind being able to match his strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks