What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
I've stopped watching movies that feature chest hair.
It can be distracting, i remember watching a Robin Williams movie once, can't remember which one, he had his shirt off and i have never seen so much body hair on one human being, not saying there is anything wrong with body hair but it gave me nightmares for many weeks afterwards, so much so i have forgotten the film that featured the scene and i hope i never ever remember.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
It can be distracting, i remember watching a Robin Williams movie once, can't remember which one, he had his shirt off and i have never seen so much body hair on one human being, not saying there is anything wrong with body hair but it gave me nightmares for many weeks afterwards, so much so i have forgotten the film that featured the scene and i hope i never ever remember.
Sounds like The Survivors, with Walter Matthau. :D

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
FoxyMulder said:
Actually I think it was the Fisher King with Jeff Bridges. (; Great movie, frightening moment. But back on topic...

I think Man of Steel has potential. But whether it can be a film that climbs to the levels of Dark Knight is a feat I'm not so sure it can remotely achieve. Why? Well what struck me as odd was the opening weekend gross for Superman Returns. At this point, we had a near 20 year hiatus since the last Superman installment. Reviews were plenty solid enough that you would think between extended absence and positive reviews, that opening weekend would have reflected alot of pent up demand for the Krptonian hero. But it didn't. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar either. And what hurts is that the people that DID see it walked away with a pretty mixed opinion about it. So fastforward seven years later. Another reboot with another actor taking the lead. This movie has none of the advantages SR had, plus carries the negative backage SR left behind.

So whether the film is actually good or not, may not dictate whether an audience shows up to see it. Because this time around, those opening weekend receipts will be influenced by attitudes about the previous SR entry, effectiveness of the current promotional campaign, and whether critics like this better or worse than the last installment. And with another crowded summer where theaters rotate their large venues for the next big opener every week, I'm not so sure Man of Steel has time to build a following if that audience isn't filling the big house seats on that opening weekend.

So am I suggesting it could bomb? Well, I would certainly hope nothing to that extreme. Right now I think it can only do about the same money as the last one. But based on practical industry measures, and the recent history of the brand, I would say it has a steeper uphill battle than what some may think. And with Warner Bro. execs placing so much weight on it's success as to whether a JLA movie gets made, the film just took another hit for having to rise to greater numbers than what is likely possible. So for all the internal hype this film has received, lets hope audiences respond early and critics do it justice in their reviews. This film will need every advantage possible to meet the lofty standards placed upon it that only the original from '78 has ever achieved. Tough duty.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
SuperMan Theme:

Pretty epic. Tip of the hat to Zimmer who has a nigh impossible job to etch out something memorable outside of William's score.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't hear it, there is a little x next to the mute button on the YouTube video, i can't unmute it, no sound.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
FoxyMulder said:
I don't hear it, there is a little x next to the mute button on the YouTube video, i can't unmute it, no sound.
Hmm, works fine for me.

Search for the clip on YouTube and try it there.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It's the same piece that plays over the latest trailer, which I thought sounds fantastic. So if you can't hear it from the above link just listen to the trailer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I listened to one called an ideal of hope, i like it, parts of it remind me of the John Williams theme when they are on Krypton at the beginning then it gets to the part with the drums ( snare ? ) and it reaches a crescendo, potentially very good, looking forward to hearing more.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hmm, works fine for me. Search for the clip on YouTube and try it there.
I was able to hear it without issue. This has me very excited for the score and despite my perpetual admiration for John Williams Superman theme, I can enjoy this without reservation.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Neil Middlemiss said:
I was able to hear it without issue. This has me very excited for the score and despite my perpetual admiration for John Williams Superman theme, I can enjoy this without reservation.
Works now, maybe a browser cache issue, its the same one labelled an ideal of hope that i listened to over at YouTube.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
John Williams has written so many outstanding movie scores, and Superman: The Movie might just be the best of them all. (It's my favorite of his.) I'm happy that the new film isn't trying to copy or imitate it, and glad Zimmer has crafted something memorable for it.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I honestly don't think there is anything memorable about this track, it will be forgotten within five years after the last sequel like most Zimmer music is. I'm biased though because I can't stand modern Zimmer, really enjoy pre-2000 Zimmer.

Unlike Sam, I can't get past Williams' Superman theme, nothing will ever sound like Superman to me except for his theme.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A new trailerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Y6VmCA4Z4Some pretty wild stuff here. I liked the tone and music of the last trailer better, but this one definitely shows more of action.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Holy cow.

First, we had the iconic, inspiring trailers that made this film look really, really good.

But, now this new trailer shows that it is also going to maybe be the most ass-kicking, badass superhero film ever. That trailer is epic.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Chris Will said:
I honestly don't think there is anything memorable about this track, it will be forgotten within five years after the last sequel like most Zimmer music is. I'm biased though because I can't stand modern Zimmer, really enjoy pre-2000 Zimmer.

Unlike Sam, I can't get past Williams' Superman theme, nothing will ever sound like Superman to me except for his theme.
I don't think Sam said he'd get past it...just that Zimmer's theme sounds promising. And, it does. You don't get "past" Williams' Superman score. It lasts forever.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Chris Will said:
I honestly don't think there is anything memorable about this track, it will be forgotten within five years after the last sequel like most Zimmer music is.
I have to disagree with this. I think his POTC trilogy music is fantastic and his Batman music is pretty good as well (even though I like Elfman's score better). No one will ever surpass John Williams. I started taking piano lessons a year ago in hope of one day being able to play music from Williams, Horner, Shore, Elfman and Zimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks