What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
TonyD said:
Good trailer, not sure about Pa Kent saying the maybe he should have left the school bus though.
That "Maybe" sounded cutoff in the trailer as if it was part of a larger sentence like
Maybe that was God's plan.
Maybe it was their time.
Maybe you should have but you can't save everyone.
I think that was a clever edit to misdirect the actual conversation since the clips on the screen were independent of the audio.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Seeing the trailer for this during the Hobbit gave me the chills (even though I had seen it already on my computer at home). The anticipation in the room was palpable...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Empire cover
a0e4aedb_emp.jpeg
Lack of red trunks aside, it's a much better costume than the Superman Returns costume; better proportioned and more instantly screaming, "This is Superman!" I could take or leave all the excessive texturing, but the big disappointment for me is the colors. The cape looks terrific, but the blue darker than navy blue, and the yellow is washed out and grimy looking. Even the red on the shield tends toward maroon. I'd love the clean, bright, vibrant colors of the Christopher Reeve suit.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I'd like to see a red stripe around his waist or something to break it up a bit. I'll wait and see what it looks like in the movie before I freak out. I'm do a big fan of the batsuit in the Nolan movies but it looked better in the movie.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I so desparately want this movie to be a success being a huuugge Superman fan. But so far the marketing has been sub-par. The next trailer is I believe supposed to be released tomorrow and is over 3 minutes long. It will allegedly be shown in front of Oblivion.

Unfortunately, it seems in this day and age, people prefer Iron Man and Batman, hero's, but not really superheroes.

Superman can't be a likeable, but sarcastic ass-hat like Iron Man , and he won't hurt people like Batman. Iron Man, at least to me, has been successful because of the humor. I love Iron Man. Batman I can't quite peg. I loved Batman Begins, and Dark Knight Rises redeemed itself somewhat, but Dark Knight was totally lost on me. Spider-man is the next closest thing to Supes, and he has and can be successful, but he is also just human.

Has this country become too cynical for Superman? Or perhaps is the bar set too high for Superman? Superman Returns made Batman Begins kind of money, but was deemed a failure, and Batman was deemed a success. Is Superman set up for failure because... well, he's Superman. Of course he's supposed to be the biggest, and make the most money.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Why is the yellow in his 'S' insignia so faded looking? The more I see of Cavil as Superman the less impressed I am. He looks more a parody of the character.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JeremyR said:
I so desparately want this movie to be a success being a huuugge Superman fan. But so far the marketing has been sub-par. The next trailer is I believe supposed to be released tomorrow and is over 3 minutes long. It will allegedly be shown in front of Oblivion.

Unfortunately, it seems in this day and age, people prefer Iron Man and Batman, hero's, but not really superheroes.

Superman can't be a likeable, but sarcastic ass-hat like Iron Man , and he won't hurt people like Batman. Iron Man, at least to me, has been successful because of the humor. I love Iron Man. Batman I can't quite peg. I loved Batman Begins, and Dark Knight Rises redeemed itself somewhat, but Dark Knight was totally lost on me. Spider-man is the next closest thing to Supes, and he has and can be successful, but he is also just human.

Has this country become too cynical for Superman? Or perhaps is the bar set too high for Superman? Superman Returns made Batman Begins kind of money, but was deemed a failure, and Batman was deemed a success. Is Superman set up for failure because... well, he's Superman. Of course he's supposed to be the biggest, and make the most money.
Peronsally, I think an audience just wants to be entertained when they go to see a summer movie. As long as they're enjoying the movie, they probably aren't thinking about whether they're seeing a cynical and dark superhero movie or a fun and fairly upbeat superhero movie. That being said, the trailer seems like the movie is trying to be darker (for Superman anyway) than I would have expected it to be so I think Warners feels that audiences just want Batman's angst and brooding over and over again.

As for Superman Returns vs Batman Begins' grosses, I don't know but I'm willing to bet that SR cost like $100 million more than BB so it needed to make alot more money to be considered as successful.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looking at the caps i'm underwhelmed by the new costume, it lacks vibrant colours, i'll reserve judgment though until i see the film.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I passed judgement on the previous suit alterations, and changed them when I saw the film. I will not pass judgement this time. I have really high expectations for this film. Superman has always been "the" superhero for me. Zack Snyder seems to know how to do comics on film, and I am hoping for great things.

I am one of the relatively few who actually like SR. I thought the son plot was stupid, but overall I thought it was good. I loved Kevin Spacey and I thought Brandon did a swell job. (See what I did there :) )

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Burke said:
I passed judgement on the previous suit alterations, and changed them when I saw the film. I will not pass judgement this time. I have really high expectations for this film. Superman has always been "the" superhero for me. Zack Snyder seems to know how to do comics on film, and I am hoping for great things.

I am one of the relatively few who actually like SR. I thought the son plot was stupid, but overall I thought it was good. I loved Kevin Spacey and I thought Brandon did a swell job. (See what I did there :) )
I liked parts of Superman Returns, Routh was fine, the music score was excellent, the plane rescue scene was very exciting, the montage where Superman gets shot in the eye, the silly plotline of Superman carrying an island composed of Kryptonite sunk it for me and i am not much of a fan of the Lex Luthor character, as already said by me, i think Parker Posey would have made a great Lois Lane.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is the trailer I've been waiting for from the beginning for this film. Exactly the right tone:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY&feature=player_embedded

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Adam Lenhardt said:
This is the trailer I've been waiting for from the beginning for this film. Exactly the right tone:
Agreed. The geek side of the internet is beside itself right now, and with good reason. Superman looks right. Zod looks right. The action looks right, and the heart is there.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It was missing THE theme. I know, I know, not happening, but still John Williams' music is indelibly associated with Superman on the big screen. That's the only fault I can find with the trailer. It hit every note dead on, and it seems to directly go against everything wrong with Superman Returns. Namely, that Superman represents, he IS, what's best in us. Being Superman isn't a burden, it's a privilege, and one he embraces because he can. The only way to get Superman right and not have him come across as hokey or as a self-parody is to play him perfectly straight, completely earnestly, just like Capt. America did (which is also the reason that movie worked so well). Before I was interested. Now it jumped to the stop of my summer movie list.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Agreed. I'm more hopeful that it won't suck after watching the new trailer.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The new trailer looks great. I think this is going to turn out really well.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Now THAT is what I'm talking about. Excellent trailer that actually has me excited to see this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Eh, I feel like I've seen this trailer, oh, I have, it's just a bit more expanded. Still not quite "feeling" it yet.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
That trailer kicked ass! All the components look to be there. Two excellent actors playing Kal-el's two fathers. Costner really nails the, 'Of course, you're my son,' line.

Great supporting cast. The only question mark remains - Cavill. So far, he is not projecting Superman to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks