1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'm pretty sure this is pretty close to the direction they are going with.

2. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    But, on the other hand, we have had Star Trek with a new theme....Nolan's Batman series doesn't use anything from Elfman's score.
    With it being a completely new Superman series, I think we'll be fine without Williams' score.

3. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip
    Actually, the legal battle is still ongoing, and no decision has been made. In fact, WB/DC has until 2013 before they have to worry about not having control over any part of Superman. That's part of the reason we're getting Man of Steel now...it had to go before cameras to help cement DC's hold on the character.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm

They did this for the final season of Smallville and i thought it was excellent.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I'm actually intrigued. I was not a fan of the last Superman, in fact I can't even remember what happened in the movie after super baby. I'm actually looking forward to the movie because it's not tied down to anything (movies or tv shows). I was expecting to see people flipping out because he's now a Bering Sea Crabber and it's not following the comic book origins to the dot.

6. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    I am more than intrigued, I am officially thrilled with the teaser. Having watched both, I definitely prefer the teaser with the Costner voice-over to the Crowe voice-over. Jor-El's words to his sun play to the "Super", while Pa Kent's are decidedly focused on the "Man," and for me, that's where the whole strength of this hero lies.
    "You're not just anyone. One day, you're going to have to make a choice; you have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, he's gonna change the world."
    As powerful as Superman is, his destiny is not decided by those powers, but by the moral compass of his heart. And so, as a young man, like all of us do at that age, Clark must question his identity, and choose the man he wants to be. He can choose whether he'll rule the world as a tyrant, or save it as its servant. Certainly there are obvious Christian spiritual overtones to that, but those overtones have long been associated with the character of Superman, so I'm not surprised to see them. Based on the teaser, I can't help but think that perhaps this film will be like Jesus' 40 days in the wilderness before he begins his public ministry, where he must confront the temptation to be something other than what he is destined to be -- Clark exploring his adopted world, trying to decide if he is "man" enough to embrace what he believes his life's calling to be. If that's what this story is about, I have to say I find it a different and incredibly compelling character study of the first, and greatest, superhero of them all. What makes it so compelling to me is that his internal struggle is no different than what we all face every day, even though the scope of our reach is far more limited without the incredible powers Clark has. Will I dominate my world (wife, kids, friends, neighbors, coworkers, community), or will I serve it? Which course has the capacity to change my world for the better?
    What's wrong with me that a 94 second movie teaser can inspire me to be a better husband, a better father, a better friend, and a better citizen? That the few sentences of words and quick shots of a boy with a red cape on his shoulders can give me the chills, and make me show it to my wife and kids?
    This teaser just kicked my anticipation for this film from a 3 straight to a 10.

7. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Nicely said, Jacinto, and I agree. I hope what we see is a young Clark being a hero without really knowing who he is yet, or fully understanding what he wants to be. There's the description of him saving a busload of children when he's a kid, and then there's the fishing scenes in the teaser. Maybe he takes dangerous jobs like being at sea so he can be there to save others who put themselves in harm's way and might not be able to save themselves. That he's a silent protector, or guardian angel.
    And then something happens that makes him have to decide whether these small "saves" are enough. Some enormous problem that will require him to step out into the light, so to speak, and reveal the true extent of his powers to the world at large.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    So they're copying Smallville since that's what happened in the last season. It would be cool by me since i enjoyed that show.

9. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Really? I never watched Smallville so I wouldn't know.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/11/12/zack-snyder-on-watchmen-legacy-as-the-anti-avengers-movie/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=57774

12. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    New Poster!
    And for anyone who wants to complain about the suit, we could have had this:

13. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Not liking it. At all. And no, I'm not referring to Nic Cage.

14. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Obviously I'll wait to reserve complete judgement before I see some actual footage, but so far I'm not digging the new suit.

15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I like the look of the suit, though the waist area could use a little something. I just wish it was a bit more colorful.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    What a bizarre poster, Superman in custody and wearing handcuffs??? WTF??
    I hate this suit with a passion.

17. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I agree, maybe it will make sense in the context of the film.

18. MattBradley

MattBradley Second Unit

Matt Bradley
    I wish he had red in place of his missing red underwear. (That sounds funny) I'm starting to dig the vibe. He's handcuffed which is him showing respect for the people he lives around. They've done this in the comics recently too. Or perhaps he's luring them into a trap. One thing is for sure, he's doing it by choice. I'm thinking this movie is going to really take people by surprise and in a good way.

19. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Was he caught outside of Lane's apartment-window again?
    So many possible jokes, here. Maybe they've mistaken him for Green Lantern, and are arresting him for crimes against cinema.
    Snyder is clearly commenting on the sexual subtext of superheroes by making a visual reference to bondage in this poster.
    ...Wait, this isn't the Sucker Punch thread?

20. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    It looks like they're leading him to the electric chair. Tagline:
    This Summer, You'll Believe That A Man Can Fry
    I'd like to imagine that the poster guys were sitting there, looking at just a plain image from the movie, and trying to decide what the poster was missing when J.J. Abrams walked past the open doorway, stopped, stepped back a few paces and said to them: "Hey, you know what would look REALLY cool??"