What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by MattBradley /t/297988/zack-snyders-man-of-steel/330#post_3952536
I wonder if they are taking a Superman: Earth One approach with this film? If so, expect Clark to have many professions before he arrives in Metropolis. (In the current comic reboot he's a firefighter.) While he moves through these jobs he's trying to figure out what his purpose in life is, what his place is. He's living among us while concealing his powers for the most part until some event happens that only he can respond to.
Pure speculation. Just wanted to throw it out there.

I'm pretty sure this is pretty close to the direction they are going with.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Simon Massey said:
Im willing to give this a shot but I for one liked Superman Returns and was hoping for a continuation of the elements set up in that film.
However one thing that is going to be difficult for the filmmakers to overcome for me far more than the redesign in the suit is not using John Williams theme. Can you imagine Indiana Jones or Star Wars without those themes. It's that iconic and is going to take some beating. I know the score isn't going to break the film but Im going to miss it not being there I suspect.
But, on the other hand, we have had Star Trek with a new theme....Nolan's Batman series doesn't use anything from Elfman's score.
With it being a completely new Superman series, I think we'll be fine without Williams' score.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
joshEH said:
Interestingly, everything that that I've been researching/reading up on basically states that Warner Bros. can no longer use the following on film without permission from the Jerry Siegel estate:
In a nutshell, these aspects of the character are no longer included in the rights that Warner Bros. owns. If they want to include any of the above in a movie, they now have to pay the Siegel estate for the right to do so. Which leads me to believe that this won't necessarily be another "origin" story once again.
WB can still use Superman, his powers, the Daily Planet, Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, et cetera. Basically, they keep everything post-crash-landing involving Superman. Anything before has to be paid for the right of usage.
Actually, the legal battle is still ongoing, and no decision has been made. In fact, WB/DC has until 2013 before they have to worry about not having control over any part of Superman. That's part of the reason we're getting Man of Steel now...it had to go before cameras to help cement DC's hold on the character.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Chris Farmer /t/297988/zack-snyders-man-of-steel/330#post_3952533
I like serious up to a point, but I think I prefer "respectful." To me Superman works best played completely straight and with a fair amount of optimism attached to him. He has his struggles, but he also has understanding of what he means to humanity. The trailer gets into this as well, with "They will rise behind you" etc.

They did this for the final season of Smallville and i thought it was excellent.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually intrigued. I was not a fan of the last Superman, in fact I can't even remember what happened in the movie after super baby. I'm actually looking forward to the movie because it's not tied down to anything (movies or tv shows). I was expecting to see people flipping out because he's now a Bering Sea Crabber and it's not following the comic book origins to the dot.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I am more than intrigued, I am officially thrilled with the teaser. Having watched both, I definitely prefer the teaser with the Costner voice-over to the Crowe voice-over. Jor-El's words to his sun play to the "Super", while Pa Kent's are decidedly focused on the "Man," and for me, that's where the whole strength of this hero lies.
"You're not just anyone. One day, you're going to have to make a choice; you have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, he's gonna change the world."
As powerful as Superman is, his destiny is not decided by those powers, but by the moral compass of his heart. And so, as a young man, like all of us do at that age, Clark must question his identity, and choose the man he wants to be. He can choose whether he'll rule the world as a tyrant, or save it as its servant. Certainly there are obvious Christian spiritual overtones to that, but those overtones have long been associated with the character of Superman, so I'm not surprised to see them. Based on the teaser, I can't help but think that perhaps this film will be like Jesus' 40 days in the wilderness before he begins his public ministry, where he must confront the temptation to be something other than what he is destined to be -- Clark exploring his adopted world, trying to decide if he is "man" enough to embrace what he believes his life's calling to be. If that's what this story is about, I have to say I find it a different and incredibly compelling character study of the first, and greatest, superhero of them all. What makes it so compelling to me is that his internal struggle is no different than what we all face every day, even though the scope of our reach is far more limited without the incredible powers Clark has. Will I dominate my world (wife, kids, friends, neighbors, coworkers, community), or will I serve it? Which course has the capacity to change my world for the better?
What's wrong with me that a 94 second movie teaser can inspire me to be a better husband, a better father, a better friend, and a better citizen? That the few sentences of words and quick shots of a boy with a red cape on his shoulders can give me the chills, and make me show it to my wife and kids?
This teaser just kicked my anticipation for this film from a 3 straight to a 10.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Nicely said, Jacinto, and I agree. I hope what we see is a young Clark being a hero without really knowing who he is yet, or fully understanding what he wants to be. There's the description of him saving a busload of children when he's a kid, and then there's the fishing scenes in the teaser. Maybe he takes dangerous jobs like being at sea so he can be there to save others who put themselves in harm's way and might not be able to save themselves. That he's a silent protector, or guardian angel.
And then something happens that makes him have to decide whether these small "saves" are enough. Some enormous problem that will require him to step out into the light, so to speak, and reveal the true extent of his powers to the world at large.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David Forbes said:
That he's a silent protector, or guardian angel.
And then something happens that makes him have to decide whether these small "saves" are enough. Some enormous problem that will require him to step out into the light, so to speak, and reveal the true extent of his powers to the world at large.
So they're copying Smallville since that's what happened in the last season. It would be cool by me since i enjoyed that show.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
FoxyMulder said:
So they're copying Smallville since that's what happened in the last season.  It would be cool by me since i enjoyed that show.
Really? I never watched Smallville so I wouldn't know.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
"It's a more serious version of Superman," he says. "It’s not like a heart attack. We took the mythology seriously. We take him as a character seriously. I believe the movie would appeal to anyone. I think that you’re going to see a Superman you’ve never seen before. We approached it as though no other films had been made. He’s the king-daddy. Honestly that’s why I wanted to do it. I’m interested in Superman because he’s the father of all superheroes. He’s this amazing ambassador for all superheroes. What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology? What we‘ve made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It’s been an honor to work on. As a comic book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta Stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully."
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/11/12/zack-snyder-on-watchmen-legacy-as-the-anti-avengers-movie/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=57774

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
New Poster!
And for anyone who wants to complain about the suit, we could have had this:

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Obviously I'll wait to reserve complete judgement before I see some actual footage, but so far I'm not digging the new suit.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I like the look of the suit, though the waist area could use a little something. I just wish it was a bit more colorful.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Sean Bryan said:
I like the look of the suit, though the waist area could use a little something. I just wish it was a bit more colorful.
I agree, maybe it will make sense in the context of the film.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I wish he had red in place of his missing red underwear. (That sounds funny) I'm starting to dig the vibe. He's handcuffed which is him showing respect for the people he lives around. They've done this in the comics recently too. Or perhaps he's luring them into a trap. One thing is for sure, he's doing it by choice. I'm thinking this movie is going to really take people by surprise and in a good way.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Was he caught outside of Lane's apartment-window again?
So many possible jokes, here. Maybe they've mistaken him for Green Lantern, and are arresting him for crimes against cinema.
Snyder is clearly commenting on the sexual subtext of superheroes by making a visual reference to bondage in this poster.
...Wait, this isn't the Sucker Punch thread?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It looks like they're leading him to the electric chair. Tagline:
This Summer, You'll Believe That A Man Can Fry
I'd like to imagine that the poster guys were sitting there, looking at just a plain image from the movie, and trying to decide what the poster was missing when J.J. Abrams walked past the open doorway, stopped, stepped back a few paces and said to them: "Hey, you know what would look REALLY cool??"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks