What's new

Zack Snyder's Justice League -- Any Word on UHD Blu Availability? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’ll probably be at Warner’s standard new release price, I would guess that on street date people will pay about $25 or $30 on it. I would guess extras would be light - maybe some of the featurettes that are showing on HBO Max, maybe the black and white version as an extra.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It’ll probably be at Warner’s standard new release price, I would guess that on street date people will pay about $25 or $30 on it. I would guess extras would be light - maybe some of the featurettes that are showing on HBO Max, maybe the black and white version as an extra.

Has this formally been announced for US release?

Viking61

Agent
Real Name
Asle
Several Canadian retailers have it listed with release date July 20. I suppose it will be the same for the US release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
A lot of the HBO content now comes to disc via Warner Archive rather than the larger brand. And the remastered BvS was Warner Archive, not the larger brand.

It's still not clear what coming "to disc via Warner Archive rather than the larger brand" even means. Not all of the Warner Archive releases have the brand logo on the front cover. The movies releases almost always do, but the TV show releases don't, and the animation releases may or may not. But the one thing they all have in common is "wb.com/warnerarchive" on the product. Always on the disc label itself, and almost always on the back cover.

The remastered BvS has neither. And I suspect other "stealth" WAC titles (like, reportedly, 3D editions of some films) don't have it. All of the publicity and promotion might be done by WAC, and they might handle the production of the discs and packaging, but there's nothing on the packaging that links BvS (at least; I don't have any of the other stealth titles) to WAC. The disc and packaging have the "Warner Home Entertainment" logo, and no mention of Warner Archive.

It's a puzzlement.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's still not clear what coming "to disc via Warner Archive rather than the larger brand" even means.

Smaller print run, limited distribution, limited promotional spending. The idea in similar cases is to make it available to people who want it without going through the full new release cycle of printing tens of thousands of copies to distribute to retailers like Walmart and Target, who will eventually have to return unsold inventory and/or liquidate at bargain bin prices.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Smaller print run, limited distribution, limited promotional spending. The idea in similar cases is to make it available to people who want it without going through the full new release cycle of printing tens of thousands of copies to distribute to retailers like Walmart and Target, who will eventually have to return unsold inventory and/or liquidate at bargain bin prices.

Well put, sir.

--jthree

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
So word then yet, huh?

I didn't realize there was a separate black and white version; is this available separately?

masterofthemoon74

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Still no word on a US Blu Ray release, only available in the UK so far. Guess WB is either debating whether or not to release it in stores. Who knows, maybe for a Christmas release just speculating here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apparently the hold up in the U.S. is that the HBO Max division of the company financed the completion of the film (about $70 million) and they’re using it as an exclusive to drive subscriptions and aren’t ready to give it up yet. That’s not an unreasonable position to take. U.S. fans who want it on disc immediately can import it from another country or wait until its eventual release.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apparently the hold up in the U.S. is that the HBO Max division of the company financed the completion of the film (about $70 million) and they’re using it as an exclusive to drive subscriptions and aren’t ready to give it up yet. That’s not an unreasonable position to take. U.S. fans who want it on disc immediately can import it from another country or wait until its eventual release.
Quite possible, but with the hype and media coverage on this thing having died down to practically nothing, I think it's a fool's errand. They'd be better off getting the physical release out there in the pipeline now, IMO. I'd think at this point, the majority of people who would subscribe to HBO Max just to watch ZSJL have already done so. That ship has sailed.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Quite possible, but with the hype and media coverage on this thing having died down to practically nothing, I think it's a fool's errand. They'd be better off getting the physical release out there in the pipeline now, IMO. I'd think at this point, the majority of people who would subscribe to HBO Max just to watch ZSJL have already done so. That ship has sailed.

I don’t disagree but that’s what I’ve read reported on Digital Bits and a couple other places - it was a matter of intense debate within Warner. Home video wants it, HBO Max doesn’t want to give it up, and until recently, the entire company was run by the HBO Max head so that was the voice that carried weight.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Amazon.ca only shows the UK release...... for Cdn$ 72.99. Ouch. That's box o' junk pricing.
Zavvi has it for much cheaper than that -- I paid $40 with shipping to the U.S. That's still a chunk of change, but it was $35 minus the shipping. Worth every penny for me as it's a gorgeous disc, but your mileage may vary.

I don't have HBO Max and wasn't willing to wait until Warner sorts things out domestically, so importing the U.K. disc was the only way that I was going to get to see the film. I'm glad that I resisted signing up for Max just to watch it -- higher bit rates and lossless Atmos are a big benefit in this case.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Zavvi has it for much cheaper than that -- I paid $40 with shipping to the U.S. That's still a chunk of change, but it was $35 minus the shipping. Worth every penny for me as it's a gorgeous disc, but your mileage may vary.
It's sold out at Zaavi.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Indeed Doug...was just notified about this on another site. I wanted to order it, but almost $50 is a LOT of money for one title IMO. I am going to wait on it I think.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed Doug...was just notified about this on another site. I wanted to order it, but almost $50 is a LOT of money for one title IMO. I am going to wait on it I think.
I caved and ordered a copy. Had some Amazon credit so it ended up costing me almost nothing in real dollars, and who knows when it will be released on North America. I'm also curious to see how it looks on-disc rather than via streaming. Better, I would assume, and I find myself drawn to watching the Snyderverse films for some odd reason. I don't really like them per se; they're kind of like a slow-motion trainwreck that I keep going back to. Masochism? Perhaps. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks