What's new

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Effing HBO! Came back to finish the movie after taking a break and all I get are three pulsating dots when I attempt to play it. Wonderful. Glad I don't subscribe to this lame service every month.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Effing HBO! Came back to finish the movie after taking a break and all I get are three pulsating dots when I attempt to play it. Wonderful. Glad I don't subscribe to this lame service every month.
That happened to me when I came back to finish it after grocery shopping, but it only lasted about a minute or so.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m hoping to be able to get myself out of bed early enough on Saturday morning to watch this. May have to split it if my kids wake up before I finish. Though I may feel compelled to split it up anyway, be we’ll see.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How does it compare to the previous version? I did not enjoy Justice League so, if this 4 hour version is not an improvement then I will not waste my time.

Plus, the 4:3 AR annoys me. Why? Modern day screens are not 4:3. If Snyder had been allowed to complete this, was it really going to be released to theaters in 4:3? It just doesn't make any since for a movie like this where you normally want as large a canvas as possible. I'm not against 4:3, it just seems like an odd choice for a modern day action movie.
And if it was released in theaters, it wouldn't have been 4 hours, it wouldn't have had all the new stuff they shot, it wouldn't have the new special effects it has and it wouldn't have gotten another $70 million to do all that new stuff. That's why this isn't really the "Snyder Cut" as much as the "Snyder Reworking". Of course, none of that is a flaw this recut of the movie but if Snyder had originally finished the movie, it would have been vastly different from what people are seeing now.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
And if it was released in theaters, it wouldn't have been 4 hours, it wouldn't have had all the new stuff they shot, it wouldn't have the new special effects it has and it wouldn't have gotten another $70 million to do all that new stuff. That's why this isn't really the "Snyder Cut" as much as the "Snyder Reworking". Of course, none of that is a flaw this recut of the movie but if Snyder had originally finished the movie, it would have been vastly different from what people are seeing now.
Remember too that he'd planned to do this as a two-part movie originally.

So... each running about 2h maybe?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Just finished it.

This felt almost like the TV extended edit of the ‘78 Superman, in that it’s just tons and tons of extra footage but much of it is just length. It’s a completely different conception of the story than the theatrical version, and it’s mostly unique footage, but there’s probably only about 2 1/2 hours worth of movie in a four hour container. A tighter cut of this conceptualization would have been more worthwhile.

It seems to me in hindsight that the problems here are in many ways the same as in the theatrical cut, just manifested differently. The newly shot footage is actually pretty awesome and hints at what the “part 2” could have been, and that seems like an interesting movie - but neither the theatrical version nor this one really has a great sense of how to get there.

I’m glad it exists but I wish I liked it more.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good article from Vanity Fair, where Snyder basically explains everything in the new film and what his plans were for the original Justice League roadmap going forward. All I can say is that I'm glad some of this never came to be. LOTS of spoilers here, so be forewarned:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Did HBO screw up the sound on this one? I tried it from the HBO app on both my PS4 and my PS5 and both only gave me stereo sound, even though it advertised Dolby Atmos.

I don't think it was anything with my settings either, because I then loaded Tom and Jerry which also said Dolby Atmos and the sound came out just fine on that one.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Did HBO screw up the sound on this one? I tried it from the HBO app on both my PS4 and my PS5 and both only gave me stereo sound, even though it advertised Dolby Atmos.

I don't think it was anything with my settings either, because I then loaded Tom and Jerry which also said Dolby Atmos and the sound came out just fine on that one.
Don't have Atmos but it played in 5.1 DD+ on my Nvidia Shield (thank god they fixed that finally).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I got Atmos A-OK on my ATV4K.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I'm amazed at just how different the reviews are here on HTF, compared to the YouTube Channels I subscribe to and the people I follow on Twitter. I've heard nothing but rave reviews everywhere else. Usually the posts here align pretty well with those. For some reason, it's a complete 180 with this movie.

I'm going to try and get to it tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good article from Vanity Fair, where Snyder basically explains everything in the new film and what his plans were for the original Justice League roadmap going forward. All I can say is that I'm glad some of this never came to be. LOTS of spoilers here, so be forewarned:

Right, don't read that article until you see this movie! Anyhow, it answers my question about two characters that I wasn't familiar with so I'm happy to find out about them and what Snyder was trying to do with his vision and the internal fights he had with Warner.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I'm amazed at just how different the reviews are here on HTF, compared to the YouTube Channels I subscribe to and the people I follow on Twitter. I've heard nothing but rave reviews everywhere else. Usually the posts here align pretty well with those. For some reason, it's a complete 180 with this movie.

I'm going to try and get to it tomorrow.
Yeah, I thought it was actually pretty great. I was surprised. I suspect having a fondness for the DC characters makes a big difference. That and not wanting this to be a Marvel movie. There actually is some humor here from the Flash, but for the most part, the Snyderverse plays in a minor key. That’s a reasonable choice creatively, if not the wisest commercially.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Remember too that he'd planned to do this as a two-part movie originally.

So... each running about 2h maybe?
But, from what I've read, the notable thing about the Snyder Cut is that it does not encompass the narrative of the originally planned JL1 and JL2. This covers the story that was intended as JL1, and that's it. One of the negatives about this film that some critics have pointed out is that this teases what was to come, but it's unlikely that what was to come will ever actually come.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But, from what I've read, the notable thing about the Snyder Cut is that it does not encompass the narrative of the originally planned JL1 and JL2. This covers the story that was intended as JL1, and that's it. One of the negatives about this film that some critics have pointed out is that this teases what was to come, but it's unlikely that what was to come will ever actually come.
Again, if you watched the movie then you should read the following article.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Right, don't read that article until you see this movie! Anyhow, it answers my question about two characters that I wasn't familiar with so I'm happy to find out about them and what Snyder was trying to do with his vision and the internal fights he had with Warner.

So I'm guessing that the two characters were Darkseid and...Deathstroke?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks