What's new

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like the remastered version of BvS Ultimate Edition is finally on HBO Max.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
First, I’m not finished with it. I’ve been watching it slowly. I’m kinda making it a miniseries, which is what I thought it should have been.

So far, one word comes to mind: Overwrought. Oh my god, I have never seen anything like this, and I don’t mean that in a good way. Better than the theatrical? Probably. Still overwrought.

I dislike the special effects. They often make the characters move in ways that are not natural, and look forced. Too much slo-mo. The movie would’ve been a hour or more shorter without all the slo-mo.

Are there to be no moments of levity in these four hours? Holy smokes, this thing is insanely serious. The tone of the movie kills it (again, so far). I read comics once upon a time because they were fun. This isn’t.
Of course it is serious! It's about "real" superheroes not those fake jokie Marvel ones! 😀😀

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
First, I’m not finished with it. I’ve been watching it slowly. I’m kinda making it a miniseries, which is what I thought it should have been.

So far, one word comes to mind: Overwrought. Oh my god, I have never seen anything like this, and I don’t mean that in a good way. Better than the theatrical? Probably. Still overwrought.

I dislike the special effects. They often make the characters move in ways that are not natural, and look forced. Too much slo-mo. The movie would’ve been a hour or more shorter without all the slo-mo.

Are there to be no moments of levity in these four hours? Holy smokes, this thing is insanely serious. The tone of the movie kills it (again, so far). I read comics once upon a time because they were fun. This isn’t.

Yeah again that was my problem with the thing. Its the superhero movie equivalent of being stuck either in traffic on a rainy day or a funeral for four hours.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For her mental health during the pandemic, my wife has sworn off all serious media. She will not watch any detective/police shows anymore, and although we saw the original in the theatre, will not see the Snyder cut. Our 1 hour viewing of the local nightly news has shrunk to abou 15 min. as I ff through all references to Covid 19 etc.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It looks like the remastered version of BvS Ultimate Edition is finally on HBO Max.

in 4K? I’ve been wanting to watch it again.

As for the lack of levity in Justice League, I agree that it would benefit from a bit more, but DC often takes a more serious tone, and it is one of the things I like about their approach. While they typically still have humor in their stories, it’s not jokey.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It doesn't have to be "jokey", but some degree of personality in its characters could have really helped make me more invested in the final product.

Instead Snyder gives us the live action equivalent of early 90s Rob Liefeld drawings.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I saw plenty of levity when I watch the Snyder Cut, both times. It’s not the overly corny and obvious jokey dialogue that infests the Marvel movies (only Thor and Antman have done humor well for Marvel IMO). But I find Snyder’s humor very appropriate and effective.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I think I heard someone say it felt like a 4 hour funeral, and I agree. Just a tedious, soul sucking experience. Not fun in any way, and the negative energy of the entire film along with the turtle like pacing (with titled chapters inserted to assure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel--- the movie is progressing). I hope ZS doesn't get another shot at DC films. The Aquaman film, and WW 84 are great examples of good, entertaining comic book movies. I'll have much more of that please.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, that's film appreciation for you. :D
Sorry, I was just really disappointed in it. When I'm passionate about a character(s)(DC Superheroes have always been my favorites) I start shooting my mouth off.

I wanted to like it way more than I did. But for those that loved it,...Awesome!:)

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope ZS doesn't get another shot at DC films.

It’s extremely unlikely. Warner backed Snyder initially in the belief that his interpretation would deliver billion dollar grossing films. All three of his DC films fell well short of that. It’s one thing for them to throw $70 million his way to finish post production on material he’d already shot as a splash-bang thing for their fledgling new streaming service. It’s another thing entirely for them to throw down $300 million in production and $200 million in marketing for a film that, based on his track record, will struggle to break even.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Too bad. I’ve loved all the Snyderverse films and would welcome more of them.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It’s extremely unlikely. Warner backed Snyder initially in the belief that his interpretation would deliver billion dollar grossing films. All three of his DC films fell well short of that. It’s one thing for them to throw $70 million his way to finish post production on material he’d already shot as a splash-bang thing for their fledgling new streaming service. It’s another thing entirely for them to throw down $300 million in production and $200 million in marketing for a film that, based on his track record, will struggle to break even.
True. BVS only turned a profit of 107M. Well below what Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises yielded. And quite a bit of that got left in China to boot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, I was just really disappointed in it. When I'm passionate about a character(s)(DC Superheroes have always been my favorites) I start shooting my mouth off.

I wanted to like it way more than I did. But for those that loved it,...Awesome!:)
No explanation is needed as you’re entitled to your film opinion.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

That's understandable. DC's characters have been my favorites too and I also wanted to like Justice League more than I did. Fortunately, I do like it more than you and thought it was an improvement on the theatrical. Snyder made lots of choices that I wouldn't have made, but I found his approach interesting.

Too bad. I’ve loved all the Snyderverse films and would welcome more of them.

Despite not loving his approach, I would've liked to see his plans play out. Oh, well.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Despite not loving his approach, I would've liked to see his plans play out. Oh, well.
That possibility is not gone forever. Studios can and do change their minds all the time. There are all kinds of forces in play that bump and slam into the 'final decision' from time to time.

It doesn't take a lot of movement in the boardroom for different decisions to be made. Never say never. *even though I just said it twice*

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If all parties involved could figure out a way to bring costs way, way down, I suppose there’s a possibility, but these movies would exist outside the canon that WB is building, which creates brand confusion and adds extra expense. It’s probably not feasible, for example, for Gal Gadot to play Wonder Woman in the upcoming WW3, again in an “official” Justice League sequel to the theatrical version, and then again simultaneously in a Snyder Justice League sequel that was made for HBO Max.

Never say never, but there’s a huge difference between green lighting finishing up already existing footage during a pandemic when there’s not a ton of new content shooting, and putting it on a streaming service as a loss leader to boost its profile, than authorizing production and marketing expenses in excess of half a billion dollars in a film series where each entry has underperformed commercially and been reviled critically.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
If all parties involved could figure out a way to bring costs way, way down, I suppose there’s a possibility, but these movies would exist outside the canon that WB is building, which creates brand confusion and adds extra expense.

Canon has been undone many times within the same framework of characters at many different times. Example, notice Ahsoka didn't tell Mando that the force was about microscopic organisms called midichlorians. She used the original OG explanation - so we're meant to 'forget' about the midichlorians. If I wanted to think about it for a while, I could probably come up with a lot more, but that's a pretty well known example.

It’s probably not feasible, for example, for Gal Gadot to play Wonder Woman in the upcoming WW3, again in an “official” Justice League sequel to the theatrical version, and then again simultaneously in a Snyder Justice League sequel that was made for HBO Max.

Sure. All that means to me is that that could easily, and without warning say "hey guys, forget the Whedon version - we like Zak's version more so it's now canon'. Which to me would actually be the sensible thing to do. So let WW have her next solo movie AND let Zak do another JL. Why not? Marvel does that all the time, they would just have to be careful about outright contradictions. They'd have to be willing to let Snyder incorporate his vision until it's played out. Let the remaining cast of JL have small parts in the other heroes movies.

What I am basically saying is, they could go all in with Snyder - I don't think anything else is working out for them. I think they could, if they felt that they could get a couple of other things that they wanted. Maybe raise the levity a TINY bit, but honestly, the thing that's stopping them most is that they pretty much lost Fisher and Affleck. Which is too bad, because Affleck really grew on me as bats.
Never say never, but there’s a huge difference between green lighting finishing up already existing footage during a pandemic when there’s not a ton of new content shooting, and putting it on a streaming service as a loss leader to boost its profile, than authorizing production and marketing expenses in excess of half a billion dollars in a film series where each entry has underperformed commercially and been reviled critically.
I'm forced to agree. I really would love to see Snyder play it out fully, but I know realistically that it's not as likely as I'd like it to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks