What's new

Zack Snyder wants to make "The Dark Knight Returns"... (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Movies - News - Snyder eyes 'Dark Knight Returns' movie - Digital Spy

Zack Snyder has revealed that he wants to adapt Frank Miller's comic book The Dark Knight Returns into a feature film.

Snyder, who helmed a film version of Miller's 300 and upcoming comic movie Watchmen, told iFMagazine that he has asked studio Warner Bros about creating a big screen adaptation of the story, which focuses on an ageing Bruce Wayne as he comes out of retirement to defend Gotham City for a final time.

"I said I'm interested in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns," he commented. "That's really my favourite comic book."

The director admitted that his chances of making the movie are slim as it is likely to conflict with Warner Bros's Christian Bale-led Batman series.

"The studio has this massive franchise and I don't think they'll let me make a Batman movie where he's 50 years old and Ronald Reagan is President," he said.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
With TDK going through the roof, WB has been pursuing options for the future of the franchise. Talks have revived in regards to a "Batman Beyond" franchise and I can see the suits at WB wanting a 'Dark Knight Returns' feature to be the opening film so-to-speak in a potential BB series. WB had both films actively in the planning stages during the period between "Batman & Robin" and Christopher Nolan signing on to do "Batman Begins" (1997-2003).

Of course, these are projects that are years away as WB really want Nolan to helm at least one more Batman movie (rumors are swirling that the studio wants him to sign on for two more). I don't expect the studio to launch another Batman series until Nolan is done with his current batch of Bat-flicks, but that's just speculation on my part.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope WB doesn't touch any of this until AFTER Christopher Nolan is finished with this Bat-films. I say they should even wait at least 15-20 years and THEN do Dark Knight Returns with Christian Bale when he's in his 50s.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
WB won't be doing any of this until Nolan has completed his stint in the director's chair. To be perfectly honest with you, when WB was talking about this project a handful of years ago (before Nolan came on to helm BB), I wanted to see Michael Keaton return to the cape and cowl to play the aging Batman in "The Dark Knight Returns".

WB likely won't be getting around to this one until sometime after 2011, depending on if Nolan has one more movie in him after completing three. I know the studio was really gung ho about a "Batman Beyond" franchise and a film based on "The Dark Knight Returns" could be used as the perfect lead-in film for that series.

A lot can happen in the next five years, but WB obviously has big plans for the future of the Batman brand.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
"This is the end, Clark. For both of us"

So will Superman appear in The Dark Knight Falls?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
If Zack Snyder does end up doing this movie somewhere down the line, expect him to be extremely faithful to the source material. So plan on seeing Superman in the film, especially considering that he has such a big role in the comic.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, I think I'd be more excited about seeing The Dark Knight Strikes Again adapted because the story would probably work better as a film
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they'll give Nolan the space to finish his series however he's going to finish it before pursuing the character on film from another angle. During the late eighties and early nineties, Clint Eastwood would have made a great Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Returns. Now, I'd kind of like to see Christian Bale take the role on in 2024.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
It'll never happen. And I heard him say in an interveiw about Watchmen that he wants to be done with comic book films for a little while. He said he wants to move on to other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks