What's new

Zach Galligan from Gremlins arrested for shoplifting a Deep Purple CD (1 Viewer)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I don't know what the bigger question is:
What ever happened to Zach Galligan?
or
Who still listens to Deep Purple?

"Gremlins" actor arrested for shoplifting
By The Associated Press
(1/24/03- West Hollywood, California-) — "Gremlins" star Zach Galligan was arrested for investigation of shoplifting after he allegedly stole a disc by the heavy metal group Deep Purple from a Tower Records store.
Galligan, who lives in Los Angeles, was stopped Wednesday and handcuffed by security guards in the Sunset Boulevard store's parking lot. They stopped him after he left the store with the CD concealed "somewhere on his person," Los Angeles County sheriff's Sgt. Bruce Thomas said Thursday.

"It was a routine shoplifting arrest. We do 'em all day, every day. We had no idea who he was until after the fact," said Jay Smith, the store's general manager. "We don't single anybody out."

Deputies were called and Galligan was taken to the sheriff's station, where he was booked and released about four hours later, Thomas said.

It was unclear why he would have taken the CD because he was carrying enough money to buy it, the sergeant said. "He made the comment to one of the deputies, 'This is the stupidest thing I've ever done."'

Galligan, 38, has made more than 30 movies, appeared on television and in the Broadway production of "Biloxi Blues." He's probably best known for playing a boy who disobeys rules governing his new pet and unleashes a plague of mischievous monsters in 1984's "Gremlins." He also starred in the 1990 sequel, "Gremlins 2: The New Batch."

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Who still listens to Deep Purple?

...........probably people who are sick of the cookie cutter similarity of rock-pop-rap music today.....many feel the cookie cutter similarity of late 60's & early 70's rock-pop music was much better by comparison. :) :D

You know, I've shop lifted a Cd or two on a lark when I was in my late teens and early twenties but I would never do it today and certainly not if I was 38 and an actor in light of Winona's recent widely publicized folly.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Why the hell do they handcuff shoplifters?
I worked catching shoplifters for two major department store chains in my younger days. I was also a cop for 12 years. Some of the biggest fights I've ever been in were with shoplifters. I got punched in the face for a trenchcoat, maced for baby clothes, and wrestled with more people than I can remember for various small items. When I stopped shoplifters, I always started polite and professional (but in charge), they took it to the next level by getting physical. I only handcuffed if I had some sense that the person might become violent, or if I was alone and didn't want to risk a fight in the apprehension room (which happened several times when the suspect figured out they were going to jail).

A Loss Prevention person for JC Penney at a nearby mall was shot in the back of the head by a shoplifter he was bringing back to the office for stealing women's clothing.

So, why do you handcuff a shoplifter? Because you got no idea the kind of person you are dealing with. Could be a teenager getting a thrill. Could be someone with 10 felony warrants who is not going to get caught, no matter what.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Hey, I think the poor guy is trying to stir up some publicity, maybe get himself work. Hell, it worked for Winona Ryder...

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Really, she now has a few more acting gigs and now has just been hired by Marc Jacobs to model for his new clothing campaign.

There's no such thing as bad press...unless you're Michael Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread