Z1 vs 300U...anyone compare the 2 directly?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

The subject says it all. I am interested in both of these and the price difference makes the Sanyo look really appealing. I hear the Z1 has more apparent screen door but the reviews of both at projectorcentral.com make them look really close.

Randy

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat Randy. I'll be making the purchase sometime in the next several months, and nobody in my state (as far as I know) has either on display.

The Best Buy caliber stores don't even carry projectors at all, and the higher end stores only carry $10k+ DLP projectors.

3. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

Me too. Originally was thinking only RPTV but these two and the X1 change the game. I can't recall seeing these two directly compared over at the "other"[​IMG] forums...and you can't search terms with only two characters like "Z1" and "X1"[​IMG] (there not here)

I contacted a local Z1 dealer today and they don't do demo units for HT projectors [​IMG]

4. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

5. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

I had the Z1 briefly and it does have a very good image. The screendoor can be tamed by increasing the viewing distance. The pixel structure was pretty apparent and it had a somewhat "digital" look to it, but the picture quality was still quite good, and for the price, a steal. However, there were some quality control issues that led me away from it and towards the L300u. The biggest issue was that dust blobs appeared out of the box in conspicuous places. There are a few threads on AVS that talk about this and attempts to prevent it. I returned one and it happened again on a second machine. It's not a dusty room issue--it's the filter. Fed up, I shelled out the extra money for the Panasonic and there was a big difference. The extra money pays for superior optics, with a clearer, sharper, brighter image. There's much less pixel structure and no screen door. You don't have to rearrange the furniture to make the picture more watchable. In early testing (up to around 30 hours now) there are no dust blobs, though I realize all LCDs are prone to this. I think blobs out of the box is a bit much to put up with, though. I think either machine will be fine, but for me the Sanyo had issues that I don't have with the Panasonic. I think the 300 is a fantastic projector.

Good Luck.

I wanted to add that this was using a 80" diagonal screen from about 10 feet, so you might consider how big you think you might go and how bad the effects of screen door, etc, might be.

6. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Anthony, thanks a bunch for the insight! That is the kind of info I am looking for.

Randy

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

How is the line doubler in the Z1?

8. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1HD(Z1 clone) and I love the thing. I sit 12.5 feet back from an 85" diag screen and with a slight defocus the image looks NIIICE. I can't compare it to the 300 because I've never seen the Panny, but I am very pleased with my purchase. The lense shift is a great feature for ease of set-up. The above quoted review stated the Panny was brighter, but Projectorcentral measured light output on both and came up with higher numbers for the Z1...go figure. The line doubler on the Z1 is so-so. I use a CP-72 for DVD and notice a big difference between the Z1 and the Panny deinterlacing. For TV viewing it is fine, I've noticed no combing. avsforum has a ton of comparisons between them from a Seattle shootout thread. Good reading.

Jonathon

9. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

the 300 is a better machine due to the smoothscreen technology. it really makes the lack of resolution much less of an issue w.r.t. screen door..

the Z1 may suffice if you keep the screen small and stay at least 2x screen width away ....

IMO [​IMG]

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Anybody have any problems with scan lines, pixels or vertical motion artifacts with the Z1? These problems cause me to lean towards getting a used AE100 or an AE200 for now.

11. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    A really good comparison between the Z1, 300 and HS10 can be found here. I would like to get one of the 300s myself.

Parker