Z1 Keeps shutting down on me...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric M Jones, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

I've had the Z1 for a couple of weeks, although I haven't used it much because I was building a screen. I finally finished building my screen and have been attempting to watch some movies.

The first day I played 2 movies with no problems, (the projector was sitting on a tabletop.)

The next time I used it, it shutdown 3 time during the first movie we watched. We then watched a second movie and had no shutdowns, (projector is now hanging from the ceiling).

Tonight I watched a movie and had no shutdowns. I began to play a second movie and within 5 minutes it shutdown. I only got through the first hour of the second movie before it shutdown twice more. I gave up and decided to make this post.

It's a great projector but the shutdowns are extremely annoying. I know it has a built in heat sensor but the warning light doesn't come at the shutdowns.

Anyone out there have a similar experience or did I get a lemon? Any Advice?

-EJ

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    How's the ventilation? The shut down problem sounds like it's over-heating. What is your fan speed set at? Can you increase the speed to cool the unit better? How's the clearance between the fan and walls and such, anything blocking it? Make sure you have a good 18" of clearance so the hot air can dissipate.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

"The shut down problem sounds like it's over-heating."

That's what I was thinking except it has a warning light for temperature and it doesn't come on. If is truly overheating it will also go into a protection mode where the projector cannot be turned on until the light goes off. This doesn't happen with the shutdowns I've been experiencing. I can turn it right back on as soon as it goes off.

Fan speed it set to low, it automatically does this when you select the low lamp mode setting. I could go to the higher lamp mode but the high fan setting soulds like a 747 taking off, it's not acceptable for HT, IMHO. If it was my only chioce it rather send the unit back and get something else.

Clearance couldn't be better. It's mounted in the middle of my room with at least 8ft. of space all the way around. I guess the mounting bracket could be a problem but it's based on the same design many have used here w/ their Z1's without issues. It's a copy of this one by Efarstad

The best way to describe the problem is - "the machine simply shuts down without warning". A guy over at AVS said this and had the same problem and ended up returning his Z1. That's what I was hoping to avoid.

Ron, thanks for your thoughts. I almost bought the L200 based on your thread, now I'm wishing I did.

-EJ

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Several people had problems similar to this on a different projector, can't remember which one. Anyway it had to do with the bolts that hold the projector on to the mount, they were screwing them too far into the projector and causing problems. Don't know if this applies, but might be worth looking into.

TimG

5. Jeff_S

Jeff_S Agent

I've had my Z1 for 2 weeks now (probably been using it around 4-6 hours a day and one marathon day of about 12 hours straight). I have not had any problems like the one you describe. My projector is mounted inside of an open coffee table (all venting areas open).

When you say it shuts down, does the picture turn off while the fan continues to run (like it is supposed to do during normal power downs) or does the entire unit just suddenly and completely shut down? If the entire unit completely shuts down suddenly, then I would guess that it's broken/defective and you should get it repaired/replaced.