1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Z DVD review up at dvdjournal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 7, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdjournal.com/
    Wellspring's new DVD release of Z: The Masterworks Edition features a restored print that has a few soft moments, but is generally free from collateral wear, while the anamorphic transfer (1.66:1) is strong and free of defects. The French audio comes in a new Dolby Digital 5.1 mix, although it has its thin points, and purists may prefer the original mono track, which is also included. The splendid features include a commentary by Costa-Gavras (with subtitles), a retrospective interview with the director (also subtitled), a comprehensive restoration demo, stills, cast/crew notes, and the theatrical trailer. Z is on the street now.
    there is much more on the site

2. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I have to buy this one; I saw the film a week ago and was amazed. Thanks for the info.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I was wondering if I was missing something from my copy. I did not receive any booklet in the DVD I received. Where there supposed to be one? If so, I will have to contact DeepDiscountDVD.

4. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I'm still waiting for mine from DVDBoxOffice. "Backorder"... GRRR!! [​IMG]
    I really, really want this disc bad. Z is one of the greatest movies ever made. *sigh*

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Marty, Wellspring, formerly Fox/Lorber/Winstar, has never included booklets with their discs. A shame, because many of their releases could really use a Criterion-style essay.

But I'm happy to see another positive review of a Wellspring release. Looks like they are coming through on the promised increase in quality from their former incarnations.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Brook, Thanks for the update. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I have been anxious for this DVD ever since it was mentioned a couple of years ago. I was in college when Z was first released in our local theater in the spring of 1970. There were definite parallels between the storyline in the movie and the political scene in the U.S. -- most notably at the time, the killing of the 4 students at Kent State University and the ensuing nationwide demontrations.

7. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Great movie, great DVD. Although it would have been nice if they could have put the names of the people on the interviews. It took me a while to figure out that it was the director interviewing the writer.

I was going to buy it, but I saw it for rent at Blockbuster. So I'm going to wait a while with buying it, but I'll get it eventually. I can't wait for RAN.