Yule Moon?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The December Full Moon has many names:
    Oak Moon, Snow Moon, Frost Moon, Blood Moon, Cold Moon, Wolf Moon, Long Nights' Moon, Moon before Yule, Moon of Long Nights, Big Winter Moon, Moon of Popping Trees

I think the Yule Moon is the one before Yule (Winter Solstice).
    Anyone know if Dec. 26 is the Yule Moon?

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    My understanding is that the first (and likely only) full moon in December is the Yule Moon, regardless of where it falls in relation to the Solstice or the holidays.

But what I find more significant is that for residents of North America, since the Moon is full on the morning of the 26th (9:08am CST), the Moon should appear fullest on the night of the 25th, not the 26th. And since the full moon is occurring so close to the Solstice, tonight's full moon will have the longest transit time across the sky of any full moon of the year - possibly for several years (but I would need to check on that...). So get some eggnog, put on a coat, and check it out. Christmas full moons come, as they say, once in a blue moon. (But not really...)

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks Brian!
    You'll only have to wait 5 years for that December Blue Moon. December 2009.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    There was an awe inspiring circle around the moon this week. This was a day or two before full:

[​IMG]

Sam