Ypao

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanCai, Apr 26, 2004.

1. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Hello,

I just wanted to know your thoughts on the YPAO for the Yamaha 1400 or 5790. I'm planning to get one of these two receivers... Anyway will i still need one of those SPL meters from Radio Shack?

Thanks in advance

2. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

I had the SPL meter from Radio shack a long time before having the Yamaha 2400 and let me tell you I haven't used it since. I feel that the YPAO is very accurate. I've read some posts here that say it's better to manually adjust the speakers levels using the meter, but I haven't done this yet and I don't think I should; I will try it someday for the sake of tweekability (is that a word?), but for the mean time I'm a believer of YPAO. And to answer your question, I don't think you need it but it doesn't matter you'll probably end up buying one anyway just to see how accurate it is compared to the YPAO. And by the way, Yamaha receivers are awesome.

3. chad k

chad k Stunt Coordinator

agree, check the post of the mini review of the 5760 on this section, me and the guy who started the tread wayne bought at the same time and it amzes me, even the DPLII on over the air or cable anlog tv movies trick me sometimes and i think i am hearing DD 5.1.

The ypao is verry sweet, i wasnt sure and check with the spl meter after and it was dead on except the sub, which after i adjusted it it sounded better where the yammy had it, it also NAILED the distances on my fron.center and rear speakers. It doesnt get any better than hitting a button and waiting for it o finish. SWEET !!

Chad K

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i played with ypao briefly on my 5790. i was impressed that it *perfectly* calculated speaker distance, but it did some other things that i wasn't so sure of. i haven't done extensive goofing with it, so i can't give a definitive response.

i'll just say it seemed to work pretty well, and for someone who doesn't want to tweek-out, it's a great alternative.

regarding the 5790 vs. the 1400, according to yamaha, they're the same. so you may as well get the cheaper one. check out this thread - the last question.