YPAO setting surround to "large"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by darrylCHER, Nov 1, 2004.

1. darrylCHER

darrylCHER Stunt Coordinator

Oct 28, 2004
    Hello all, this is my first post, but I am far from a nubee.

I bought the Yamaha HTR-5760 and am very happy with it. The YPAO works good, with one little caveat(so I thought).

It sets my surrounds to "large", (Paradigm Titans, corner placed) and my fronts and center to "small". I have done the auto setting more than a dozen times with the same result every time regarding the surrounds.

I kept resetting them to "small" and all was well. However, I decided to try them on the "large" setting.

I know, I know, "Set them all to small". But after listening to a lot of my favorite movies & music (multi channel) the sound field has a ton more depth, cohesion and "power".(I don't know how else to explain it)

I have noticed NO loss of bass, in fact I think I've GAINED some bass!!

I called Yamaha and asked if this was a YPAO glitch or if in fact this is the correct setting, and they assured me that it is common to have large surrounds even with a small center and fronts.

So, my question is, has anybody else done this and if so what were your results?

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Oct 26, 2002
    darryl: If it sounds good to you, keep it set that way. Just be aware that more and more surround music titles are beginning to appear with pretty intense bass effects in the rear channels, nothing like the typical wispy ambient stuff like in most movies. So watch your volume levels until you know the surround channel's limits.

FYI: I think the corner placement of the surrounds is probably increasing their bass output relative to the fronts. Also, cramming the surround channel's bass along with all the other channel's bass into one channel--the subwoofer's--might be causing some electrical phase cancellation effects, reducing the total overall bass levels. Or I could just be reading too many audio theory websites! [​IMG]