You've got $300-500 to spend on a T.V. what do you do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Walsh, May 30, 2002.

1. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I know my range is low and I can not get much within it but I was just wondering what the best was to be had in that range of $300 to $500. I would use it mostly for DVD viewing if that is of any importance. I am new to the T.V. purchasing world so any help on this matter would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Eric

2. Blake Hoffmann

Blake Hoffmann Auditioning

I understand that's a range your giving me
    But I'll throw it out there anyways:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...cat=&e=11100124
    Panasonic Tau 27"
    I have a wega 27", the best one me thinks, and I prefer my friend's tau in terms of image quality. Extra's over it would be a headphone jack, a much cleaner audio output, and IMO a better system all arround.
    It's a big jump from your 13", but 27" really is the sweetspot for DVD. And for non-hdtv 27", that's a great tube.
    If you would like a cheaper suggestion, or needed something else in your budget let me know.

3. Phil Cavanagh

I would recommend the Sony 27" Wega, model KV27FS13.

I personally look at the Panasonic and the Sony flat screens side by side almost everyday. In my personal opinion the color of the Panasonic's are way too rich, especially the reds(this is a problem on nearly all of there tube tv's including the HD moniters). I have played with the picture controls on the Panasonics repeatedly and could not get much of an improvement in color. 95% of my customers looking at these tv's prefer the Sony as well.

Ultimately it is your decision...buy what looks good to you. If you go to Circuit City, most of there stores have these two televisions side by side.
    My money is one the Sony if you go with a flat screen.

4. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Akai 27" (Samsung clone) flat screen for $350 at Sams Club. Excellent set for the money.

5. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Bob
    Does this clone have all the same features that I would find on a Samsung and is it worth the $150 I would save instead of buying a 27 inch Panasonic or something like that? I am hesitate to buy non brand name sets or sets made by companies like Apex. I will have to research this option though and find a way to shop at Sam's club maybe that one day pass is still on their site. The price is indeed tempting.

As far as the Sonys go it seems there are a lot of problems with a pinkness coming in the corners in the screens. The great number of these complaints is what worries me.

-Eric

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

It seems for $500, you're right in the range of a 27 inch flat screen such as the Toshiba 27AF41 (or newer model if they've released one).

cheers,

--tom

7. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

Eric,the Akai is identical to the Samsung except it has a silver-gray cabinet and the Akai nameplate, and the Samsung has a one year labor and parts warranty,while the Akai has 90 days labor, one year parts, but if that's a concern, buy an extended warranty and it is still cheaper than the Samsung.For the price you really can't go wrong, it has a great picture after a little tweaking, it is a flat scren, has component inputs, and does the anamorphic squeeze from the remote.Compare it to the Toshiba's and Sony's, and dollar for dollar it is a steal.

8. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    Dan gave you most of the info in his post. The set is made by Samsung and is the same TV except for the differences he mentioned. The remotes, menus, features and manual are the same. Here's a good thread about it:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=&pagenumber=1