YouTube RULES! Check out my stuff!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jesse Skeen, May 27, 2006.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just found out how easy it is to upload video to this site, so I've been spending the weekend putting up old TV commercials and stuff that I've accumulated. Here's one of the first TV commercials for the Sony Betamax:

If you have a high-speed connection it starts playing right away and you can spend literally hours perusing stuff people have put up.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This is one of those sites that just kinda showed up outta nowhere huh? Six months ago I had never heard of this thing. Now you can't throw a cat without hitting a YouTube link.

--
    H

3. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Damn. That Betamax unit was huge.

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

In the box they weighed 52 pounds (2 pounds over the UPS limit of the day). People would have UPS do a pickup from their place of business and send them into the shop (approximate weight was OK). When I had to go to the depot to ship them back, they would not accept them. They had to go by truck freight (much more expensive).

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    My God! Are those ROTARY dials I see?!? That means the tuner must be adjusted ahead of time in order to record the show! It can't select channels automatically! Yikes!

How did anyone ever survive such primitive conditions back then? [​IMG]

BTW, found this in the "Explore More Videos" box...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lAuP...etamax%201970s

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yep, you had to have the tuner set to the channel you wanted it to record before setting the timer to turn it on. The first units just had one speed that could only fit one hour per tape, so that was about all you needed then.
    Here's one somebody else put up showing one of the first VCRs with electronic tuning to solve that 'problem'.

I was going to start my own website to put up stuff like this, but I'm pretty computer illiterate. This thing does all the work for you.

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Great clip, indeed! [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing that!

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Wow! At first I was laughing, but once I put it into perspective (i.e. 1984), it was simply amazing and gave me goose bumps!

10. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The Crazy Eddie ad that plays after the Betamax commercial is priceless! Though the guy that owned the stores was convicted of tax fraud, those commercials definitely brings me back to my childhood.

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

My parents bought the first ever VHS VCR to drop below $400 CDN, back in 1982 or 83 -- the Panasonic Omnivision. It was the world's first front-loader, and also had electronic channel selection.

However there were only 13 slots for channels, and you had to set them with analog dials inside the top of the unit -- not even click positions, these channels had to be tuned in like a radio -- and the unit could not change what channel it was on, so you still had to leave it set to the correct channel when you put it on timer.

It lasted for nearly 20 years. Since then, my parents have had four VCRs and eventually gave up, bought a DVD player and threw away all their tapes.

Jesse, you need to put up some of that Muppet Movie LD where you can see the puppeteers! (A friend of mine bought a copy of that same LD a few weeks ago without knowing that it was special at a junk store in Japan for five bucks -- he loved the video company logo and the look of the cover.)

12. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I was actually going to start up my own thread on this topic, but I came across this one instead.

This website is like visual cocaine...One look and you're hooked. This is great stuff for me. I've seen all sorts of things from Japanese commercials, "Sesame Street" clips and old 80s music videos to "Tiny Toon Adventures" episodes, concert performances and multiple versions of that famous joke "The Aristocrats".

I'd give a link to my playlist, but I don't think such a thing is possible.

Either way, this is one of my favorite websites.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The coolest thing I've seen on there is the original ending to "Little Shop Of Horrors".

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    YouTube is an odd place. I really enjoy the videos like those linked here. But it seems to have a strong fanbase of Japanese, teenage girls who like Inuyasha clips dubbed with pop songs. [​IMG]

14. James Spraggs

James Spraggs Stunt Coordinator

a trailer for PAC-Man - the movie.

very creative.

15. Glenn_M

Glenn_M Auditioning

Jesse,
    If you still have that Tunnel Vision reel I;d like to try again to digitize the Basketball Jones cartoon.
    You still there?
    Glenn

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yep, do you have a 35mm telecine this time?

Just added a 1978 commercial for Kings Dominion Amusement Park (as seen in the movie Rollercoaster), and a couple for WABC MusicRadio 77.

http://www.youtube.com/user/8traxrule

17. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

For fans of 8-bit video agmes, this will bring back memories:

18. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

19. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

As long as we're going down memory lane:

Bruce

20. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just found out my account and all my videos have been pulled because someone at CBS complained about "Copyright Infringement"- last week they pulled a promo for the Star Wars Holiday Special that aired the night before, and today they pulled a 5-second CBS Movie bumper from 1977. Most old CBS stuff posted by other people has been pulled too, yet there's still a number of stuff promoting current CBS shows that is still up. I guess CBS (Crappy Bull Shit) doesn't want people to remember that there was a time when their network DIDN'T suck. They're not even a hundredth of the company they used to be.

Looks like it's time to move on to Google Video or Veoh.com. I've heard NBC wants to buy YouTube so it'll be a whoring ground for their crap pretty soon.