What's new

You're Objective, Mr. Phelps, Should You Decide to Accept It (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have to say this is a great idea for a thread, Chu. Maybe we could ask that it be archived as a reference for someone who wants to get into the hobby?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
2 x Rocket RS250 Monitor B-Stock $440/pr
1 x Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 Subwoofer B-Stock $200
1 x Rocket by Onix ELT Center Channel $299 each

Panasonic SA-XR45 $400 list $300 discounted

Toshiba SD6915 5-disc changer $179 (onecall, j&r...I couldn't find the list price :frowning:)

Stratitec S5200BDL surge protector bundle $19 at Sam's Club 12 outlets, around 3000 joules

KnuKonceptz Klear Kable Blue 12 Gauge Speaker Wire 80 feet $40

3 pairs of Karma Kable 2 Channel RCA Kable 1M @ 6.00/pr = $18

That leaves you $65 for the rest of your cables. Pick them up at www.trianglecables.com.

The Rockets, from AV123, are blems but come with full warranty and we all know the service MLS provides is second to none. Add to that crossovers designed by Richard Pierce and you know that someone has done their homework. The rosewood is nice and should garner high praise from your signficant other. Add to that that they sound pretty good too and you've got a winner. They call the digital Panasonics the Krell killer. Maybe that's a bit much but when you can get people to compare the two, there's something going on. You won't have any trouble driving the Rockets. Cover all the playback formats with the 5 changer Toshiba and you can sit on your ass for a while instead of getting up to change things. Go with the KnuKonceptz. It's 12 gauge and comes in a sharp blue color that'll get your friends looking. Triangle Cables sells decent, inexpensive cables in a variety of lengths. We ain't talking 100's of feet here. RG59's on the videos will be overkill for the lengths you're looking at.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ascend Acoustics System 23-2001 Package for $1308
4 CBM-170's
1 CMT-340c Center
HSU VTF-2 Sub

MARANTZ SR5300 RECEIVER 90W X 6CH for $350 at accessories4less.com refurb

Pioneer DV-563a $150

Tripplite TLP810NET 3690 joules, 8 outlets, about $30 at buy.com

KnuKonceptz Klear Kable Blue 12 Gauge Speaker Wire 80 feet $40

That leaves you $122 for cables. Mosey on down to www.ramelectronics.net and buy whatever else you need there. A little more money are the ones with locking RCA's but those don't come cheap.

Ascend speakers with the HSU sub is a pretty nice combination and they're damned fine speakers to boot. Do a search on Ascend and Ferstler and read how they compared favorably to Dunlavy's. High praise indeed! You won't have any problem driving them with the Marantz. It's a refurb but comes with a 1 year warranty. Full featured with enough connection options to meet your needs now and for some time to com. AC4L is a reputable company. The Pioneer 563a is a nice multiplayer that more than one place on the web is using as a basis for modding. Don't let them f*ck it up. Get the virgin and break play everything that's out there. At least you won't be out thousands when SACD and DVDA go bellyup and are replaced by something new.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
OK - mostly AC4L...

Mordaunt Short Floorstanding MS908 $600
Mordaunt Short Center MS905C $200
Mordaunt Short Bookshelf MS902 $280 (all AC4L)
Hsu STF-2 $350 (CompUSA)
SoundKing 12GA 100' $38 (PartsExpress)
Subwoofer Cable: $13 (AC4L)
Subtotal $1,481

OR
Mordaunt Short Declaration 500 package $1,550 (AC4l)

Onkyo TXSR601 $249 (Ecost countdown)
Pioneer 563A $150 (BB)
AR/TrippLite/Stratitec Power Strip ($30 max)

Remainder on interconnects @AC4L, etc.

The $1,481 packagecan make it under the $2K limit incl. cables no problemo. The Decl-500 may need a couple of coat hangers for wires...

I didn't know that those Marantz units had phono inputs? Learn somethin' new every day...

gregD

Second Unit

They don't... good catch.

Forgot to squeeze in a phono pre earlier, but have updated my list to include RatShack pho/pre, just to make budget and retain my speakers of choice... otherwise there are a number of very decent pho/pre's in the $1-200 range... I use a Parasound PPH-100, an overachiever at $120.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
1. The Rocket ELT Bundle. That's 4 Rocket ELT LRS speakers, 1 Rocket ELT Center, 1 Rocket ELT SW-10 Subwoofer, and a Denon AVR-1804 receiver. $1350.

2. The Pioneer DV563A Pioneer DV563A DVD player. $135.

3. Sound King 12g Speaker Wire 100' $38.
20' subwoofer cable - bluejeanscable.com $30
2 pair, 4' audio cables - bluejeanscable.com $51.90
4' S-Video cable - bluejeanscable.com $33.95
4' digital audio cable - bluejeancables.com $12.50
4' high flexibility component cables - bluejeancables.com $38.95
Tripplite Isotel 8 Ultra Multimedia Surge Suppressor $78.50

Total: $1768.80. $231 left to buy DVDs, Xbox games, DVD-A/SACD/CDs, or maybe a universal remote.

I picked this stuff for various reasons:

The Rockets - I've read too much good stuff to ignore these speakers. They look great, perform great, and the AV123 customer service is beyond expectation. The sub is very good. And they throw in a Denon receiver. Hard to beat.

Bluejeancables.com - I got my cables from these guys and I couldn't be happier. Good, solid cables, for a decent price. No BS. Customer service is good.

Sound King speaker wire - use it myself and very pleased with it. Easy to work with and works well.

The Tripplite - I spent $380 on a monster power conditioner thingie when I should have spent $80 on a tripplite. Live and learn.

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer DV-563a $150
Panasonic SA-XR50 $259
Acoustic Research HC6 $399
Could spend $1000s more and not come close to beating this.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Speakers: 1 pair Energy C-3, 1 pair C-1, 1 CC-1 centre w/discount, 920$
dvd player: Pioneer 563a: 150$
subwoofer: Hsu stf-1 299$ http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html
Receiver: Denon 1804 w/discount, 375$
Surge Protector: Radio Shack Model: 61-2433 45$
Speaker wire: Radio Shack Model: 278-1267 9.39$
interconnects for DVD component and 5.1: 3x Radio Shack Model: 15-1508 at 15.49 x 3 = 46.47$
Subwoofer cable: Radio Shack Model: 15-1599 15.49$

Total: 1860.35, leaves enough to order a pizza, invite some friends over and dazzle them with your new DVD/DVD-A/SACD collection that you picked up with your surplus.

I chose the Energy speakers because I nearly went with this set up (brought the C-3s home for an audition and my wife nixed them, too harsh at the high frequencies for her)
I chose the Hsu sub because so many people recommend it (and SVS doesn't make such an inexpensive entry)
Pioneer 563a is the least expensive uni actually out, so in it goes,
I chose the Denon receiver because I had great service from my old one, and it has a built in phono stage.
Radio Shack cables and surge protector are what I already use, mostly (though my own prices were a bit less than what is on their website)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
man, ebay,audiogon,videogon woudld make thinks soooooooooooooooooo much funner,complex !!!

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Last try. There are plenty of other options but the beer is calling...

Vance Dickason's Home Theater Speaker System Kit ($898 PartsExpress)
Vance Dickason 10" Titanic Sub Kit ($350 PartsExpress)
PartsExpress version subtotal: $1,248
OR
Axiom M60ti for fronts ($720 Axiom Outlet)
Axion M3ti for rears ($248 Axiom Outlet)
Axiom VP100 center ($198 at the Outlet, or course)
HSU STF1 ($299)
Axiom-60-based version subtotal: $1,415

that same Onkyo 601 refurb ($249 @ Ecost)
& the same Pioneer 563A ($150, or even less if you can get the 25% off)
Belkin surge thingie ($30)
100' Coleman Cable 12-2 outdoor wire ($29 @ Home Depot)
$115 (Axiom) up to $130 (Dickason) of misc interconnects & cables

That keeps both safely under target. Didn't think I could beat that Onkyo unit for the $$$ so didn't even try. The Axiom 60-based system will be grand, while the Dickason kit-based system offers lots for less and leaves $$$ left over for beer.

Speaking of which - I distinctly hear the call of the cold one...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
HTD Level 3 Package8491$849 HTDDIrect.com
Yamaha RXV-9953901$390 Besttag.com
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Audio, Multi-Channel SACD, DVD Video Player3401$340 Etronics.com
100' 12ga Sound King wire381$38 PartsExpress.com
AP091 AR Component Cables151$15 SoundPros
AP021 AR Svideo Cables183$54 SoundPros
AR 6' Coaxial Digital cable131$13 Best Buy
25' AR Subwoofer Cable201$20 Best Buy
AR-10S 10-Outlet Surge Protector521$52 AndersonDirectOnLine

Total Price: $1,771

I have a HTD Level 3 subwoofer and it does a very good job. I know a matched-set of good, but inexpensive speakers give a great HT experience

The comb SADC/DVDA DVD player is a tough one, but I found the Pioneer. There is also a Pioneer DV-563 that I know is SACD and I think DVDA as well for $150 at Crutchfields.

The Sound King wire has a good reputation, as do the AR brand of cables. The Surge Protector is a bit pricy. I'd personally go with some surge-suppressed power strips from the hardware store for about $25.

NOTE: That Yamaha does NOT have a Phono input so the extra money should go for some device to solve that.

I suggest: Component cables from DVD to TV and SVideo from DVD, to reciever. Radio Shack has a $35 Composite-to-SVideo cable for the CATV box.

I would also STRONGLY suggest a Dish PVR or DirectTivo system as these are a must-have if you watch regular television.

Oh: and you MUST get the SVideo cable and optical cable for that XBox. Halo with a 5.1 system is not to be missed. This should be:

Monster Fiber Optic XBox cable XGL-LW100: $35 ToysRUs.com
Monster GameLink 300 X S-Video: $45 Crutchfield.com

That brings us to: $1,851

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Today, $2K US dollars are $2,746.20 CND.

From my home in Waterloo ON I will assemble this kit in one afternoon using only local retail shops. Except for the Phono preamp, not sure if I can one here but I found one online.

Speakers
Energy 5.1 kit $1200,
includes XL-250 front floorstanding front speakers,
XL-150 rear,
XL-C100 centre,
s-8.2 sub
Just offered this price last weekend at local high end salon “Soundstage” in Waterloo

Receiver
Pioneer elite VSX-41TX $500 closeout price at Natural Sound Kitchener.

Universal DVD player
Pioneer DV 563 $200 local Future Shop Waterloo

Order online:
BASIC PHONO PREAMP OEM
phono preamp is ideal connecting modern turntables to older ceramic phono or aux inputs or to computer sound cards. AC PoweredOnly $19.95US
Cnd $28.00 Canadian dollars (rounding up)

S-Video Cable
3 ft. $15.00 CND X 3=$45.00
DVD player + VCR to receiver, out to TV.

RCA patch cables
$4 VCR to Receiver
Speaker Wire roll
150ft 12 ga speaker wire $50 Home Depot
Digital coax cable
Monster digital coax $30 future shop
Basic surge protector multi-outlet
$15.00 Office Depot

Grand total comes to $2072 CND.

Recommendation:
Use money left over to upgrade Subwoofer from 8in 100W s-8.2 to e:xls-12, 12inch sub (estimated) extra $300 = total 2372.

Plenty left over to upgrade center speaker to the Energy’s fine C-C1 (estimated) $200. = total $2572.

Still lots left over for Beer, party hats, a Calgary Flames Jersey so you don’t get left off the bandwagon. For the cost of about 3 pints consumed during labour I'll even come over and help you set everything up.

Enjoy the long weekend. :)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, but forgot the summary for post#34.

Speakers are the most important part. Energy is a small Canadian company and I’m a sucker for cottage manufacturers. They make speakers I can only salivate over, but not on or I’d get kicked out of the store. I find their engineering standards are also present in less expensive models like the XL line. The centerpiece; XL-250 floor standing fronts will give your system 2 channel musical fluency that bookshelf’s or micros can’t do. Full size fronts are important in any 5.1 system. They they’re smallish and slim but can handle a lot of high volume 2 channel music and get down to around the 40ish Hz range. My friend and I got to audition them last weekend and I was amazed that they held together nicely at volumes so high we had to yell when we were right next to each other.

The 8in sub is the first thing I’d upgrade on this kit. It’s a narrow sub with a narrow “throw”, it didn’t sound wanting in my audition but in a larger room you can never get enough rumble. The center channel in the Energy kit was a bit smallish too. Movie soundtracks would do well with larger speakers so borrowing one from Energy’s Connoisseur line wouldn’t hurt.

PE Elite receiver is a 100W X6 amps so there is reserve in case you want to upgrade to extended surround formats. Plenty of power in this receiver, I got to audition it last winter and almost paid twice what they’re asking now, and THAT was a good deal.

The rest is basic stuff. You can’t beat the Dv-563a, I think Pioneer has set the benchmark for affordable Universal DVD players and I hope others soon follow. Pioneer has graciously rendered their own Elite line of Universal DVD players obsolete w/ the 563.

I don’t believe in spending too much on cables. Two channel VCR audio to receiver isn’t going to need much more than a bottom end copper conductor. I use digital cable from DVD player, forgot to add the extra analogue outs from DVD player to receiver but these extra cables won’t cost much maybe go to Radio shack and pay $30 a pair, copper with decent grips and some light shielding wouldn’t hurt.

Xbox has its own connection kit you use to hook up to the receiver, you might want to consider the S-video upgrade from MadCatz, an aftermarket game system cable manufacturer licensed to make them and a darn sight cheaper than Microsoft’s official stuff.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Here is the system I would recommend:

Receiver:
Denon 1604 - 400@ 6ave.com (70W/ch of nice "warm" Denon sound :D) has phono inputs.

Speakers:
Paradigm Reference Studio20 for L/R mains - $560 (0.8*700)
Paradigm CC 170 center channel - $160 (0.8*500)
Paradigm Atoms surrounds - $160 (0.8*200)
Adire Audio RAVA sub (sealed Low Q)- $400

Source:
Pioneer 563A Universal player - $140 at CC.

Surge Protector Monster Power650 powerstrip $35 @ Tweeter

Speaker wire, cables, ICs from Parts Express - $145

Grand total : $2000

The reason I choose Denon mated with Paradigm is they make for a nice neutral combination. the warm sound of Denon is perfectly complimented with the slightly forward sound of the Paradigms. I can hear some cringing on this statement but thats what I feel is true to my ears.YMMV.

I choose reference Studio20 for the mains as I emphasize more on 2 channel stereo and I feel the studio line is a step above Paradigms' standard line. Rava Sub is a sealed design that is very musical. Although it doesn't push SPLs like an SVS its very musical and a pleasure to listen to. Some might prefer a SVS instead and I think you can get an SVS in the $400 range (I could be wrong).

As a source the 563A rules. Its got great PQ free of CUE. Latest Burr-Brown DACS (like they make a difference:D) and the Furore 2 SACD/DSD decoder that doesn't convert DSD (in two channel) to PCM. Its got the same transport as the acclaimed Philips SACD 1000. Value doesn't get much better than this.

Any basic surge protection will do. Its only an insurance againt small surges. Doesn't do a thing to sound and I dont know if it affects the PQ. Remember nothing will protect from an actual lightning strike.

My 2 green cents.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I'm gonna take a shot at this.

Receiver 3 choices
Harman Kardon 230 $378 at Onecall
Onkyo 601 $326.50 at Onecall
Yamaha HTR-5760 ~$350 all over internet

Loudspeakers
Athena AS-F2 Floorstanders for
$399 pr .
Athena AS-C1 Center Channel for $180
Athena AS-B1 for $150pr or AS-B2 for $230 pr at Onecall
Sub: HSU STF2 $349

Total Speakers $1160 with B2 rears or $1080 with B1 rears.

Universal DVD Player
Pioneer 563A $140 at CC or BB.

Totals cost ~$1627-$1678

All three receivers would sound good with the Athenas. These speakers are known to be a little bright and the warm to neutral receivers would balance out the Athenas nicely. Apparently the new Yamahas aren't bright anymore like the older models and the 5760 adds Dolby PL2x to the mix. The AS-F2s are highly rated floorstanders and the prices have been reduced lately to $399pr. Normally go for $599pr.

Athena just released the AS-R1 rear channel bi-pole speaker if you prefer those to the bookshelves. Cost is $99 ea.

This leaves you $300+ for a surge protector, phono amp, and cables. I usually buy AR cables at Accessories For Less and Parts Express has speaker wire and cables for a bargain. Also found this site, which has quality cables for low prices. http://www.pacificcable.com/VideoAndAudio.htm

Man, it sure is easy spending other peoples money.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Reciever - Pioneer VSX-1014 (out in August..~$500 online..Elite Amps, PLIIx, Auto 5 Band MCCAC, and Phono input! :D )

2nd choice... Panasonic XR70. ~$299 I think...add a $40 Phono input from Crutchfield.

Sub - SVS PCi or PB1-isd. (Cyl or Box. The 20-39PCi made the biggest impression of anything in my HT...its called WOW Factor! Movies/Music..handles it all unlike anything else!) $600

Pioneer 563A DVD Player $140

Cables....A/R at BestBuy. Great quality and price.

Surge Protector...Target HT one. $25...Belkin made...$75K protection warranty. Works fine and does what its supposed to do.

Use the rest at the HK/JBL Website (use Google) or Ebay (your dealing with HK/JBL..Full 5yr warranty) and get the JBL Studio Series that fits your budget/room. (Reconditioned)

I won 2 pair (4 total) of S26II's from them at Ebay for $111 and $136 respectfully. ($399 list) They are perfect! Not a single mark, they were shrink wrapped and came in the factory boxes and I'd swear on the book they were brand new!

I also got 1 pair of S36IIPM's for my rear surrounds...BestBuy online sale shipped free. $149.99 ($450 list)

I first auditioned JBL E series and was very impressed..specially at higher volumes. My Studios put a huge smile on my face. (and I'm driving them with a puny HTB receiver till that Pioneer comes out!)

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks