What's new

You're letting one of the best dvd's of 2005 slip under your noses... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Aaah, yes....

The guy that turns his cap around when
Clint is about to fight in Every which way
but loose

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Boy, he sure got my number.:rolleyes:Christ, I get that he didn't like the movie but I don't think it's quite fair to say that I'm mentally ill because I did.

On the other hand, you do need serious therapy if you enjoyed Miss Congenialty 2. :D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I dunno. With Ron's comments, that review, and if we could just get an RAH-approved on it, I think almost everybody in this forum might go for it...

I think that reviewer watches far too many Bambi-type films. It's for people like him that KB here gets scenes in B&W. As if SC could ever have been done in color here, even if it would have been "appropriate" to the form.

There are plenty more disturbing films than this. Why would a pansy review this film in the first place? Did he not get a clue from the title? Was the Hilary Duff movie sold out already?:D

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
My reaction was I loved the movie. I haven't seen HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES and suspect I never will based on the word of mouth, but REJECTS is a film I will defend to anyone. One of the things that really stuck with me from the doco was how Rob Zombie mentioned that the first movie was a massive learning experience in what not to do when making a film. He became determined to avoid all the mistakes he'd made the first time and became incredibly detail-focused in his pre-production process, hiring a good D.O.P, refining the script, and taking a lot of care to now do something worthwhile. I've had a couple of funny conversations recently with non-horror fan friends who aren't yet completely sold on whether they should see the movie - one of the things I mention is that, perversely enough, Zombie actually comes across in the doco as (now) being an extremely smart, perceptive and focused filmmaker. I never would have guessed it but like Ron I found REJECTS to be much better than I would have anticipated.

William Forsythe gives a great performance as the cop. There's some really potent stuff with his character's arc that actually reminds me of Peckinpah films from the 70's. That whole ALFREDO GARCIA vibe pops up here and there, and one particular scene with the gang's mother in the prison cell is a memorable one.

The disc itself is outstanding. Very good A/V quality and Lions Gate have really loaded the package up with substantial extras. The doco is excellent and all the other commentaries and stuff seem worthwhile (I've sampled but haven't finished all of them).

I also really love the film's use of music. Peter Travers in Rolling Stone said that REJECTS "..crackles with filmmaking energy.." and I can see what he means - those stylish helicopter shots are really great. I enjoyed reading an anecdote recently about Rob Zombie onetime years ago motorcycling all night to another State so he could catch a drive-in screening of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, a real dedicated fan act that I identify with. TDR has convinced me to watch out for whatever Zombie tackles in the future, as he now seems to me a more talented and switched-on horror director than several other big names I can think of. I'd put THE DEVIL'S REJECTS near the top of my list of favourites for the year, alongside the stylish Korean crime thriller A BITTERSWEET LIFE (another unexpectedly great movie).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

So in other words, the film succeeded perfectly in its goal to affect this clueless reviewer and make him feel what he was supposed to feel.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've said it before and i'll say it forever...I loved House of 1,000 Corpses!

The film just doesn't look like anything else which is one of the things I liked about it, it has the mean streak (as well as some similar plot elements, but it's not a rip off) of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but done with a bright and vibrant color palette that makes you feel as if your taking a stroll though the ultimate carnival funhouse.

It's a nightmarish little film that, when it's over, makes you feel as if you've been strapped into an electric chair and fried with 10,000 volts for 85 min and I for one just ate that up!

I have to mention some of the camera work as well, fast and disorienting would be a good way to describe it and you can see the skill and eye that Zombie has, even here, especially one particularly tense stationary/lingering camera shot that will keep you waiting. To say more about that is to spoil the scene, but you'll see what I mean.

Put aside all you've heard and read and see it for yourself at least once, it may surprise you. It might be a lesser film than 'DR' but it's still a wild ride that's great to watch on Halloween. :emoji_thumbsup:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Interesting. The film made it into Stephen King's 10 Favorite Movies of 2005 list in the last issue of Entertainment Weekly (kids from Narnia on the cover).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

You just beat me to that post, as
I logged in from work to add that comment.

I found it very "cool" that Stephen King
put it on his top films list for the year.

As I have stated previously, normally this
is not the kind of film I'd consider watching.
The mere fact that even I immensely enjoyed
this film should show that its appeal is wide.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Finally saw it tonight. Didn’t do anything to me and left me cold. In the future I would be very careful of buying a movie directed by Zombie, Frankenstein, Dracula or any names like these. I kind of agree to this line from a review I read on IMDB:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks