You're letting one of the best dvd's of 2005 slip under your noses...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Inspector Hammer!, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    That dvd is The Devils Rejects Unrated.

Now i'm certaintly no dvd reveiwer, a good one anyway [​IMG], but this disc is a prime example of lots of love and attention lavised on a film and is offered on dvd in an almost flawless package.

There is a second disc here that contains a documentary that runs 144 minutes and covers everything but the kitchen sink, and i'm not so sure they didn't talk about that, either!

I look at the topic list of dvd's being reveiwed and I see EP III, War of the World's and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, you know, all the big boys from this past summer, and that's all well and good, but guy's and gal's, don't let this slip under your radar any longer.

The film might not be for everyone, but it was slickly made, solidly directed and the dvd itself and it's contents are one of the best this year IMO. [​IMG]

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    It's not under my radar.

Admittedly I'd never heard of it until release day. Picked up a copy of the Canadian 2-disc in the store to have a look, looked "interesting", then thought I'd check what people said here first. Comments were good, the few there were. I just verified today that the Canadian = U.S. versions, so tomorrow then...

Edit: FWIW, I ordered the disc online from Future Shop and got it yesterday, cheapest local price and saved a drive... Their description is not totally correct but the UPC is for the 2-disc which it is in fact. It has the Canadian Maple English-only cover.

3. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

yep, it seems to be a pretty nice package, LOTS of extras, not just "so & so's commentary + trailer" etc....

4. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb
    This movie is an abomination and an affront to the very art of cinema. That said I'll be picking it up for the DTS.

5. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

couldn't be further from the truth. Upon watching that documentary it is very clear that Rob Zombie knows how to craft and pull off a movie that puts character and story development before everything else. A truly gifted filmmaker...and he's just warming up I think.

6. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

It's hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, why would you buy a movie you don't like just to hear it in DTS? Sound quality isn't going to change my opinion if I don't like a movie...

But I'm thinking you were being funny. At least I hope. [​IMG]

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I don't know.....when this film was first released, the reviewer at the Toronto Sun called it THE worst film that he has ever seen. I seem to remember it in BOLD LETTERS as a headline to the entertainment section of the paper.[​IMG]

I think I'll have to rent this sometime.....but blind buy it? Hell no!

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Joseph,
    in order to fully appreciate Zombie's sure footed approach to making this film and understand all the praise i've given him, it's actually crucial that you watch not only the film but that documentary as well.

This is what it boils down to, the film is ugly, it is violent and it is depraved in the extreme, no doubt about it, but within it's depravity lies structure, sure and confident direction, writing and smart, albeit icredibly insane, characters.

Look past the obvious and observe the film more deeply while watching and you'll see that there is more under the surface than just splatter, my guess is, that is all that critic you mentioned saw...the surface.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I absolutely loved this movie. It was leaps and bounds above House Of 1,000 Corpses. Easily one of the best DVDs of the year and one of my favorite movies of the year.

Rob Zombie has a massive collection of VHS, LDs, and DVDs. You can tell that he's a man that knows what he likes in his DVDs and he made sure that it was all in his DVD. [​IMG]

All that being said, this movie is not for everyone. And because it's a horror movie, snobs will look down on it and never even give it a chance. It'll get a response out of you no matter what, even if it's "I hate this fucking movie!". I'd sure rather watch a movie that got under my skin and made me say that than some boring junk that couldn't get any type of reaction from its audience.

10. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I had this in my hand today. The only thing that stopped me was the $24 price at Best Buy. I dont experiment in the $25 price range. When it drops to 15, then i will give it a shot. [​IMG]

11. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

During "Release Week" Best Buy sold this with House of 100 Corpses at $20 for both!

I already had "House" but bought the combo and gave "House" to my son.......

12. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

This was an excellent film that achieves its goal, and the new DVD is packed with bonus material and is absolutely terrific. I actually just went through all of the extras last night.

13. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams

[​IMG]

14. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb

I was indeed joking. [​IMG] I won't be picking up the DVD for any reason.

And to John Williamson, I consider a very important aspect of filmmaking to be the choice of subject matter being filmed. I haven't seen Devil's Rejects, but based on what I've read about the movie Rob Zombie utterly failed in his choice of story (based on what I look for in a worthwhile piece of cinema.)

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

No offense but it's tough to respect your opinion if you haven't even seen it. I'm not trying to be a jerk (and it seems safe to assume that you would indeed hate it and probably should stay away) but you can't judge any work without seeing it. I'm fairly certain that Stealth, for example, is terrible but I'm not going into that thread and saying it sucks eventhough I haven't seen it and never will.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Interesting. Is it safe to say that for you, a film's quality depends in no small measure on it's subject matter?

--
    H

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    What i'm saying is that even if a film's subject matter isn't exactly my cup of tea, I can still recognize that it is a quality film that was well made.

But, as it just so happens this film is my cup of tea, and it is extremely well made to boot.

18. Kevin Lamb

Kevin Lamb Second Unit

Kevin Lamb

Absolutely. Concept + Execution of concept. I could never take one and not the other.

19. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

This can be had for $12-13 (I think) with DDD's sale. House of 100 Corpses is only $5-6, also. I think it's about $17-18 for the two of them together. Cheap enough for a blind buy for some people, anyway.

20. TedT

TedT Second Unit

I'm picking it up for the insert!