What's new

Your Worst and Best 2003 cinema release picks and reason/s why (1 Viewer)

DenisWyatt

Auditioning
It might be a week early, but hopefully this thread will continue for a couple weeks. Please name your picks of the 1 - 5 WORST and 1 - 5 BEST film/s of 2003, you saw at the cinema, stating your reason/s why, for each particular pick. If you want to name more than that, saying why for each one, please do.

If any particular film was released in cinemas in 2003 and also released on dvd this year (which is how you may have seen it for the first the time), that's ok.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The best films I've seen this year:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Spectacular epic adventure from start to finish. If this baby doesn't bring home the Best Picture Oscar, there will be many people crying bloody murder. More than a film, an experience not to be missed.

2. Finding Nemo - Another wonderful winner from Pixar. They hit solid home runs every time with their wonderful blend of computer animation and whimsical storytelling.

3. X2: X-Men United - One of the few sequels that excels further from its original entry. A wonderful popcorn film. I could have enjoyed it in the theaters even more if it hadn't been for the teenagers making one smart-ass comment after another. But having the DVD makes me appreciate the film all the more.

4. Batman: Dead End - Okay, so this wasn't released in the theaters, but it made its way onto the Internet and on a licensed DVD trade magazine, and it's an even better Batman film than Tim Burton or Joel Schumacher have made. The Dark Knight, stripped down of many of the Bat-gadgets, fighting the most perfectly schizoid Joker around, and then having a kick-ass showdown against the Predators and Aliens. Why we're getting high-gloss Batman films again is beyond me. Sandy Collora should have gotten the nod to make "Batman 5" as a result of this short film.

And that's all I've seen this year that I can really consider "good", so I don't have a number 5 "best" movie. As for the five worst movies of 2003 in my book:

1. anything with J.Ho
2. anything with Ben Affleck and J.Ho
3. anything financed by Ben Affleck and/or J.Ho (whether movie, marriage plans, or going to Atlanta to buy a gun)
4. About Schmidt - a really sad film from start to finish. I'd heard it was really good, but it just came off as a sad film about a very sad man.
5. Dumb and Dumberer - is this a poor attempt to cash in on a gross-out Jim Carrey film from the 90's, or any of the Ben/J.Ho collaborations? Must be the latter.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
4. About Schmidt - a really sad film from start to finish. I'd heard it was really good, but it just came off as a sad film about a very sad man.
Never mind that I completely disagree with your opinion of About Schmidt - it's a funny and poignant piece of cinema -
it's a 2002 release, so it doesn't count. ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Best:
Lord of the Rings
X-2
Whale Rider
Kill Bill

Havent seen Cold Mountain, Mystic River, House of Sand and Fog, Seabiscuit or 21 Grams or Lost in Translation. Amazing how much a new puppy will keep you at home.

Worst:
Daredevil
Underworld
American Splendor
Darkness Falls
Charlie's Angel's 2
Dreamcatcher

Havent seen Gigli or from Justin to Kelly or 2 Fast 2 Furious and probably never will. I'll trust the critics on these.

Oh, anything with Eddie Murphy or Cuba Gooding. Once had great careers and they should be more choosey about their choices.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
fighting the most perfectly schizoid Joker around
More like the most overacted and not to mention poorly acted Joker around. That 'performance' was embarrassing.

For some reason I thought this might appear on a best list for something this year.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The best flick I've seen was undoubtedly RETURN OF THE KING. I'm also looking forward to BIG FISH.

Worst was THE CAT IN THE HAT. Took my three year old godson to see it; we walked out about halfway through. He didn't care, he wanted to go home to watch NEMO!

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I'll be starting up the official "The Best Films of 2003: Time To Throw Down" thread in the next day or so. I was originally going to start up the thread today like I always do, but my holiday vacation got in the way a bit. heh.

Thanks NickNC for the heads up. :)

Jason

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Oh, well.. I'll bite for now. To be superceded by the Throw Down thread.. but here's my picks thus far. I've not seen many of the late films of 2003. And I'm not going to bother with a Worst Films list. I've not seen enough true stinkers this year to warrant it.

1) The Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King
2) Kill Bill - Volume #1
3) Nowhere in Africa
4) Mystic River
5) Spellbound
6) Whale Rider
7) Matrix Reloaded, The
8) Hulk
9) The Magdalene Sisters
10) Irreversible

Eleventh Place:

Master and Commander : The Far Side of the World
Finding Nemo
Matchstick Men

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Best:
1) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2) Finding Nemo
3) Mystic River
4) The Last Samurai
5) X2
6) Kill Bill Vol. 1

Worst:
1) Hulk (I work at a movie theater, so I got to see this for free, and I STILL wanted my money back)
2) Underworld (good first half, but the second half sucked so much that the film was made horrible)
3) The Matrix Revolutions (horrible way to end a good-until-this-point series)

I didn't see too many movies this year that would go in either list, so that's all I can come up with.

John CW

Supporting Actor
These are my personal cinema highlights this year:

1) Return of the King
2) Finding Nemo
3) Pirates of the Carribean
4) Master and Commander - FSOTW
5) American Splendor
6) Lost in Translation

Honorable Mentions:
Kill Bill: Vol 1
X-2
The Italian Job
Identity
Old School
Mystic River
A Mighty Wind

I also enjoyed Bubba Ho-Tep, but it wasn't superb (someone needs to make a sequel that really exploits the original premise - Sam Raimi?).

Biggest let downs:

1) Hulk
2) Terminator 3
3) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
4) Charlies Angels: Full Throttle
5) The Hunted
6) Matrix Revolutions

I haven't seen The Cat in the Hat, Haunted Mansion or Gigli though ;)

Boy, I saw a lot of films this year! :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'll throw down here.

Best:

1) Return Of The King
2) Finding Nemo
3) Master And Commander
4) Down With Love
5) Pirates Of The Carribean