What's new

Your want/prediction list for 2011 (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Barbarella is on my wish list as well. Given Dino De Laurentiis's recent passing and the fact that the picture has been in the first wave of Paramount's releasing in any new home entertainment medium back to 8mm, I'd have thought it almost an automatic release.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

"Peeping Tom" has been released on Blu-ray in the UK Blu-ray.com has a review with beautiful screen shots

The Innocents too. Hopefully, they will come to the US soon.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Some anniversary predictions...

The Hustler (Fox)

101 Dalmatians (Disney)

Strangers on a Train (WB)

Intolerance (Kino)

Chaplin's City Lights and The Kid (Criterion)

Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man (Universal)

A Man for All Seasons (Sony)

The Girl Can't Help It (MoC/Eureka)

Around the World in 80 Days (WB)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart

Some anniversary predictions...

The Hustler (Fox)

101 Dalmatians (Disney)

Strangers on a Train (WB)

Intolerance (Kino)

Chaplin's City Lights and The Kid (Criterion)

Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man (Universal)

A Man for All Seasons (Sony)

The Girl Can't Help It (MoC/Eureka)

Around the World in 80 Days (WB)

With the sales success of The Sound of Music, I'd be VERY surprised if Fox doesn't deliver The King and I next year. It would be a 55th anniversary year, but it also seems to have been a source of pride for the studio with its elaborate laserdisc box set, etc. and should make a gorgeous Blu-ray release.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Simply wants - no predictions

A Hard Day's Night

Ace in the Hole

Alice in Wonderland

and God Created Woman

Asphalt Jungle, The

Band of Outsiders

Betty Blue

Blue Velvet

Bob le Flambeur

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Brief Encounter

Chinatown (way overdue)

Danger: Diabolik

Diabolique

Dr. Strangelove

Elevator to the Gallows

In the Mood For Love

Jaws

Jurassic Park

Kiss Me Deadly (keeping fingers crossed about rumors)
L'appartement

Lawrence of Arabia (keeping in mind that this was THE blu-ray demo disc all those years ago)

L'Eclisse

Lolita

Lost Highway

Mary Poppins
Mon Oncle

Moon-Spinners

Mulholland Dr. (10th year anniversary in 2011)

Notorious

Once Upon a Time in the West

Open Range

Peter Pan

Pollyanna

Pulp Fiction

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Rear Window

Rules of the Game

Singin' in the Rain

Sunrise

Sunset Blvd.

Suspiria

The Apartment

The Big Lebowski

The Big Sleep

The Birds

The Last Picture Show (standalone release)

The Uninvited

The Val Lewton Boxset

Vertigo

Sure, it's a substantial list, but give me four titles next year ... say one Hitch, Mulholland Dr., Chinatown and Kiss Me Deadly and I'll be a happy camper.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Mark Oates

Barbarella is on my wish list as well. Given Dino De Laurentiis's recent passing and the fact that the picture has been in the first wave of Paramount's releasing in any new home entertainment medium back to 8mm, I'd have thought it almost an automatic release.

I'm guessing you meant Super 8 as 8mm been around before Jane Fonda was born. Do you really think that anyone is more likely to purchase Barbarella because Dino passed away?

Do you know of a young scientist named Duran Duran?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by rich_d

I'm guessing you meant Super 8 as 8mm been around before Jane Fonda was born. Do you really think that anyone is more likely to purchase Barbarella because Dino passed away?

Do you know of a young scientist named Duran Duran?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe the word "new" confused you. :)

When a major player in movies pops their clogs, you get their movies shown in tribute and I'm sure people hunt out their movies on DVD, so I'd say it would be reasonable to think that sales of his back catalogue might increase consequently.

I know of a young scientist called Durand Durand. Possibly you're thinking of a pop singer called Simon LeBon. :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Anthony, where is your information about DON'T LOOK NOW coming from? I know that there is a Danish release of this coming. Is that what you're referring to?

Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson

Well, we know we're getting...

[COLOR= red]ALICE IN WONDERLAND (DISNEY)[/COLOR]

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

ARMY OF SHADOWS

BAMBI

BARRY LYNDON

[COLOR= red]BEN HUR[/COLOR]

THE BIRDS

BLOW OUT (Criterion)

BROADCAST NEWS

[COLOR= red]CITIZEN KANE[/COLOR]

DON'T LOOK NOW

EXCALIBUR

THE GAME (Criterion)

[COLOR= red]THE INCREDIBLES[/COLOR]

LOLITA

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND

THE NAKED KISS

NETWORK

[COLOR= red]ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA[/COLOR]

SHOCK CORRIDOR

STAR WARS SAGA

Real Name
Anthony
There was a listing for it at amazon.de though it now seems to be gone. Here's the Beaver's listing - look at April 21st 2011:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/release-calendar.htm

There was also a press release from Studio Canal (I think) who say they're restoring it for release next year. Whether it'll get to the US, I can't be sure.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson

There was also a press release from Studio Canal (I think) who say they're restoring it for release next year. Whether it'll get to the US, I can't be sure.

It was from an Optimum (who are owned by Studio Canal) press release. The pertinent bit:

...2010 also saw the return to UK cinema screens of three other iconic titles, following extensive digital restoration: The Railway Children (March) and Breathless (June). We have committed to restoring the following classics from the UK catalogue for potential cinema and blu-ray release in 2011: Brighton Rock, Don’t Look Now, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Ice Cold in Alex, The Cruel Sea, Whiskey Galore!, The Lavender Hill Mob, Quatermass & The Pit and Kind Hearts & Coronets. These releases herald an increased commitment from Optimum to preserving and restoring the vast library of classic titles that we manage on behalf of Studio Canal at a new state-of-the-art cold storage facility at Pinewood studios...

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Except for "The Ten Commandments" "Citizen Kane" "Ben Hur" and possible "Star Wars" (though I'll believe that one when I see it) there aren't many rumored titles for next year. It seems the studios leak rumors months before a title is announced so few announcements have been surprises. But even the rumor mill seems to have dried up. With the increase in sales you would think the studios would be increasing their output

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

...and possible "Star Wars" (though I'll believe that one when I see it) there aren't many rumored titles for next year.

While it's not officially announced, George Lucas is the person that said that Star Wars was coming out on Blu-ray in 2011 so it's a pretty safe bet.

franksvalli

Auditioning
Real Name
David Calhoun
I'm convinced we'll see some Marx Brothers on Blu Ray starting in 2011. See this article from late 2009: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1187332

I've also seen the placeholders for A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races show up when you do a search on Amazon! Which pretty much means it's in the works.

For me the real question is when the Paramount pictures (Duck Soup, etc.) will come to Blu Ray. Their DVD releases showed that they didn't really take the time to restore any of the footage, and a Blu Ray release sort of necessitates a restoration. Let's hope Warner's efforts at putting the Marx Brothers on Blu Ray pays off, then maybe Paramount will take notice!

-David

Originally Posted by bgart13

Curious if any Marx Bros. will make it to blu-ray. To those in "the know," what do You think the chances are of that happening?

I have a feeling we'll start to see MOD blu-rays later in 2011 -- not many, but a few to test the waters.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Films I'd like to see on BD in 2011:

The Universal Horror Classics, especially BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

VERTIGO

REAR WINDOW

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

The Marx Brothers films(though the MGM's would probably look better on BD than the Paramounts; I don't know if good source material exists for those)

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS from Criterion

SUPERMAN III(what can I say, I find this movie enjoyable, and Bob Paynter's Panavision photography would look nice in high def)

The remaining Bond's, especially ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The Indiana Jones trilogy

Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

SUNSET BOULEVARD

And lots of other films I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
CLEOPATRA
MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962) (The HD DVD was the best looking disc I have ever watched!).....how about a Bluray?

GRAND PRIX

RYAN'S DAUGHTER

THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

WEST SIDE STORY..................All these films were shot in 70mm and would look spectacular!!!!!!!!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Larry Sutliff

Films I'd like to see on BD in 2011:

The Universal Horror Classics, especially BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and SON OF FRANKENSTEIN

VERTIGO

REAR WINDOW

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

The Marx Brothers films(though the MGM's would probably look better on BD than the Paramounts; I don't know if good source material exists for those)

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS from Criterion

SUPERMAN III(what can I say, I find this movie enjoyable, and Bob Paynter's Panavision photography would look nice in high def)

The remaining Bond's, especially ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

The Indiana Jones trilogy

Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

SUNSET BOULEVARD

And lots of other films I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.

I don't think we will see the rest of the Indy films this coming year (prob 2012), but I bet we see Ten Commandments around Easter

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by franksvalli

Curious if any Marx Bros. will make it to blu-ray. To those in "the know," what do You think the chances are of that happening?

I have a feeling we'll start to see MOD blu-rays later in 2011 -- not many, but a few to test the waters.

[/QUOTE]

Universal, has the Paramount Marx films, so i am not holding my breath for tha just yet, but agreeded that those are the ones i would really like to see along with NATO and DATR

MrScan

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Jenks
This is not a spoiler, this is my personal wish list.
No offense to existing releases but my personal wish list of Blu-Ray releases includes getting the original element in my hands and performing the scans myself ;) Lucky me.

Lost Horizon

2001: A Space Odyssey

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World

The Thin Man - all titles

Song of the South

I Love Lucy - full series

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The Seven Year Itch

Road to Singapore, then all of the "Road" pictures.

The Legend of Hell House

Is there room for a teaser here?

In addition to the recent CCBB 65mmm scan, I have also completed a few additional epic 65mm titles.

I was in charge of a new scan of a title that rightly deserves it. This Osacar winning film features the most recognizable opening sequence in cinema history.

If the Blu-Ray release translates our new master as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, viewers will weap (with Joy this time).

Until they formally announce release dates that is all I can say.

Frank Jenks

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by MrScan
Is there room for a teaser here?

In addition to the recent CCBB 65mmm scan, I have also completed a few additional epic 65mm titles.

I was in charge of a new scan of a title that rightly deserves it. This Osacar winning film features the most recognizable opening sequence in cinema history.

If the Blu-Ray release translates our new master as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, viewers will weap (with Joy this time).

Until they formally announce release dates that is all I can say.

Frank Jenks

I would say the most recogniable opening sequence in 70MM would be "The Sound of Music" which is already on Blu-ray....so my second guess might be "West Side Story"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks