What's new

Your Votes (yamaha Or Marantz) (1 Viewer)

rayLow

Auditioning
Hi guys,

I'm considering to buy MS Genie speakers with either one of the av receivers:

1) Yamaha RX-V750
2) Marantz SR5500

Which receiver would you recommend for a better match? I enjoy both stereo music & surround movies.

Someone recommended Marantz for music, is it true that the marantz sounds better than yamaha?

Thanks,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz.

Mordaunt Short is a "sister" company to Marantz. They are a great match. I have 902s fed by a PM7000 and they sound great together. To me, Marantz is more musical than Yamaha. I've been happy with their receivers and amps for years. I recently installed a 5400 for a customer and it is a good sounding receiver.

*edit If you are looking for strong musical performance, I'd probably look at something other than the Genies. Small satellites always lack in midrange capability, and that tends to translate to less realistic music.

rayLow

Auditioning
Thanks john,

which marantz receiver would you recommend other than the SR5500? Unfortunately, I have insufficient space in my room so satellites is the only solution. Is the M.R.A.C really helpful? Is 90watts x 7 channels really 90watts?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't used the 5500 yet (so I can't comment on MRAC), but the 5400 was a solid performer compared to others in the price range that I've heard. I also set my dad up with a 4400 about 2 months ago with some smallish satellites (AR HC-6) with similar specs to the Genies, and it worked surprisingly well. As expected, lower midrange is lacking because the speakers do not extend very low, but it does very well for the price paid in his somewhat smaller room.

The 5500 should be a very good match for those speakers, and Marantz is generally pretty good about their power ratings. There was a Stereophile review of the 5300 that had it putting out its full rated power. All channels driven, it probably won't meet 70w, but you will almost never be driving all channels simultaneously, and the Genies probably won't pull a lot of current, so it shouldn't be an issue (unless you have a large room).

This weekend I fineshed up a system consisting of all MS 900 series speakers driven by an Onkyo 601 and they worked very well together too, so you might look at their newer TX-SR602 or TX-SR503 too. Build quality is not quite as nice as Marantz, but they should still do the trick and cost a little less.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Marantz is part of D&M Holdings and, as far as I know, D&M does not own Mordaunt Short. They recently bought Boston Acoustics though.

I do agree with your Marantz recommendation nonetheless!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are not actually part of Marantz, but they are handled through the same distributors/retailers exclusively in the US (possibly all of North America), AFAIK. Up until the latest version of their website, there was a link to MS right on the Marantz site. That's why I put "sister" in quotes, because they aren't technically related in any way that I know of, though they do have some kind of unwritten kinship and they make a good match, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks