What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Twilight Time said:
Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman
Wow, thanks for the great response. I count on your work and have not been disappointed yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Twilight Time said:
Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman
Nick,

Thank you for your kind comments about HTF members and we look forward to seeing more of your BD releases in the future.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I know that SODOM AND GOMORRAH wasn't roadshowed in Seattle, where I grew up (neither were THE ALAMO, EL CID, or THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE). I'd love to see a roadshow print, if such exists. I'd also love a Blu-ray with Rozsa's score isolated.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jobla said:
I know that SODOM AND GOMORRAH wasn't roadshowed in Seattle, where I grew up (neither were THE ALAMO, EL CID, or THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE). I'd love to see a roadshow print, if such exists. I'd also love a Blu-ray with Rozsa's score isolated.
The only country where I've heard actual confirmation of a roadshow version and in stereo sound, was Australia. It wasn't roadshown in the US so who knows if Fox have prints with the Overture, Entr'acte, Exit music and stereo sound? Wasn't the laserdisc mono? I saw it in the UK, distributed by Rank, in mono sound.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I like a lot of the titles listed so far. I've seen some of them on MGMHD and the quality does vary. I recall thinking that Rollerball needs work (which happens to be one of my holy grail titles for Bd.) Comes a Horseman and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot looked decent, if I recall correctly.

I would add (or add my voice to)...

Man in the Moon (1991)
The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)
Undertow (2004)
Black Robe (1992)
Bound for Glory (1976)
River's Edge (1986)
Carnal Knowledge (1971)

I know that this wouldn't be a Twilight Time release (and thus is off topic); but my absolute number 1 MGM Wish is that a Bd re-release of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly will occur in the U.S. using the superior Italian source of the film.

- Walter.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
rsmithjr said:
If it isn't perfect, don't release it. Period. No compromise and no prisoners.
I'd hardly call all of TT's products "perfect" (the FLINT movies were a disappointment for me personally). They are not in the same ballpark as Criterion, even if their pricing is. It's true that I am not a fan of TT's business model, but I would cut them some slack in this regard the same way people give Olive a pass for less than stunning quality. Even a marginal Blu for some of these MGM/UA titles would be welcome as their DVD counterparts, when available, were often horrible. Many of the titles listed here in "dream lists" will not undergo extensive restoration outside of hopes and dreams, but I don't think that should prevent TT or any other entity from releasing them in Blu as long as at least some care is evident in the transfer.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Professor Echo said:
Even a marginal Blu for some of these MGM/UA titles would be welcome as their DVD counterparts, when available, were often horrible.
Yeah, all those horrible non-anamorphic 1:66 releases. I've gotten pass the stage where everything has to be perfect, after all, the top transfers now probably won't pass muster in a few years time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Yeah, all those horrible non-anamorphic 1:66 releases. I've gotten pass the stage where everything has to be perfect, after all, the top transfers now probably won't pass muster in a few years time.
I bought VHS, i bought Laserdisc, i bought DVD, i bought Blu Ray, next on the to buy list will be 4K Blu Ray, i'm a sucker for upgrades to quality and they know it, i should start saving now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've bought my share of TT titles and will continue to do so in the future.

Any chance they increase their monthly output?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm not sure if these are UA titles but I'd like to see:

THE EMERALD FOREST (1985)
THE EARTHLING (1980)
ELECTRIC DREAMS (1984)
BREAKHEART PASS (1977?)

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
If perfection is the standard TT is expected to follow, then I'm afraid too many our most-wanted titles will never materialize. After all, they don't do their own transfers.

Anyway, I would add the following UA titles to the wishlist:

The McKenzie Break (1970)
Across 110th Street (1972)
Visit to a Chief's Son (1974)
Smile (1975)
Valentino (1977)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Twilight Time said:

All best,

Nick Redman
Very good to hear the stellar work TT has been doing. Even releases from a dodgy studio like MGM should be guaranteed high quality blu-rays from you guys and I look forward to the inevitable announcements.

Hopefully there are some Robert Mitchum titles in the works!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Lromero1396 said:
You said it!
Twilight Time will probably just get what MGM has bothered to remaster at this point. I'm not expecting any new remastering work.

The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.
Yes, but there won't be an isolated music track for Taras Bulba as the music tapes are missing. There is a Blu released in Austraila, but in mono!! & I understand that the picture's nothing to write home about.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Twilight Time said:

All best,

Nick Redman

Give us a clue as to the titles you'll be releasing.

Go on, you know you want to!

:D

Steve W

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Douglas R said:
The only country where I've heard actual confirmation of a roadshow version and in stereo sound, was Australia. It wasn't roadshown in the US so who knows if Fox have prints with the Overture, Entr'acte, Exit music and stereo sound? Wasn't the laserdisc mono? I saw it in the UK, distributed by Rank, in mono sound.
I realise of course that SODOM AND GOMORRAH isn't an MGM film - I hadn't read the thread heading properly. I'll re-post when a "Twilight Time/Fox wishlist" thread appears :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Lion in Winter (Embassy)
Tom Jones (UA)
The Angel Levine (UA)
The Long Goodbye (UA)
Portrait of Jennie (ABC)
The Stranger (International Pictures)
The Party (UA)