Your Top 3 choices for Best CD player for under $1000

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by paulBAW, Jul 11, 2003.

1. paulBAW

paulBAW Stunt Coordinator

I'm gettin a new CD player, saving for now. I'm going to check out the NAD541i everybody has been raving about this player. It retails for $700 CDN and I haven't heard of one person recommened another player for that price or even a couple hundred above it. I do have access to a ROTEL dealer and could hear the CD 1070 but I can't do a direct showdown. My local dealer has told me the only logical step up from the NAD would be a Musical Fidelity which costs double the price.

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

not sure of the Canadian prices

Rega Planet
    Roksan Kandy MKIII
    Cambridge Audio 500SE
    Music Hall CD25
    Myryad Z110
    Philips 963SA

can't make any claim as to which is the best but each of these sounded pleasing in the showroom

3. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Jolida JD100
    Audio Refinement Complete CD
    Exposure XXII ?

The NAD is probably a great choice and will cost less than just about everything else.

I would maybe go for the Jolida over it, but that's just because I am tube diehard.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'd also audition the Arcam 72T and perhaps some of the Sony ES line.

At this price level, you'll be able to find players which are very different sounding, despite what some naysayers will tell you. Some sound warmer and more tube like, others are more forward and detailed in their presentation. It really comes down to personal preference. For me, of the players I auditioned, it was the Arcam.

One thing is for certain, you can find several exellent players in the price range you're looking at.

I really give little worth to what the dealer told you. As an experiment, ask him which CD player he recommends at half the price that offers performance on a par with the NAD, which enjoys, by the way, a fine reputation.

5. paulBAW

paulBAW Stunt Coordinator

He can't NAD is the lowest end they carry. MF, LiNN, Arcam, and meridan take over from there.

As far as differences in CD players, yah you don't have to tell me...I think it truely is the most important part of a persons 2channel system...probably the most overlooked too.

6. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Picked up a D500SE over at audiolab.com for $350. Amazing player , I love it.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You might also consider a used Sony 7000 DVD player. There's a few around online that I've seen lately and honestly its an amazing CD player...and an even better trasport. Given that you should be able to find one for around $300 cdn that leaves a lot of room for buying an external DAC if you feel you need one.

Or the Sony 555ES would be a very nice unit as well..

Sony for sale

Canuck Audio Board

There's some nice players there if you're willing to go used.

8. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

1. Arcam 72T
    2. Jolida JD100
    3. AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000

Also you might think about a Marantz SA-8260. It retails for $1099 but I got mine for $850. Try looking on Audiogon for a used Cary 308. It would much better than anything brand new under a $1000 IMO.

9. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

also a used EAD ultradisc if you can find one; if not that, then the transport/d/a converter combo... they show up on ebay sporadically...