1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your top 25 movies released in 2019

Discussion in 'Movies' started by benbess, Jan 11, 2020.

1. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    What are your favorite movies released last year? Please post your top 25 movies from 2019. If you don't have 25 favorites feel free to stop at 20, 10, or whatever.

2. Message #2 of 13 Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Here's my list so far, which I'll probably revise at some point....

Apocalypse Now: Final Cut (2019)
    Us
    Aladdin
    Tolkien
    Frozen II
    The Rise of Skywalker
    The King
    Toy Story 4
    Stan and Ollie
    The Goldfinch
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Doctor Sleep
    It: Chapter 2
    Harriet
    Midway
    Dumbo
    Downton Abbey
    Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
    Official Secrets
    The Report
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Ford v. Ferrari
    Black and Blue
    Knives Out
    Alita: Battle Angel
    Little Women
    Midsommar
    A Hidden Life
    Parasite

Reggie W likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Are those in order?

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I don't watch near 25 movies in a year anymore but all the ones I watched are on your list.

My top 3:

3-Alita Battle Angel

2-Stan and Ollie

1-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

benbess likes this.
  5. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    For now they are, yes. But I'll probably adjust a little as I think about it some more.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I saw these:
    Downton Abbey - Really enjoyed
    Toy Story 4 - A worthy sequel that was quite fun
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Good enough and better than the prequel movies
    Yesterday - Not bad but didn't live up to the hype

I saw Abominable and thought the title fit... I didn't like it.

I've purchased copies of these but haven't watched them yet:
    Avengers: Endgame
    Shazam!
    Spider-man: Far From Home
    Captain Marvel
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix

benbess likes this.
  7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

1 to 24. Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
    25. Star Wars: Episode IX- The Rise Of Skywalker

Honorable Mention (alphabetically): Knives Out, Midsommar, Toy Story 4 and Us.

benbess likes this.
  8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I will list the stuff I enjoyed but definitely looking forward to other people's lists because I've "discovered" pictures I missed through people listing things.

I also would say I thought 2019 was a good year for major motion pictures in more than one way.

Tino likes this.
  9. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    1. Parasite
    2. Joker
    3. Marriage Story
    4. The Irishman
    5. Booksmart
    6. Alita: Battle Angel
    7. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    8. Jojo Rabbit
    9. A Hidden Life
    10. Uncut Gems
    11. 1917
    12. Knives Out
    13. Doctor Sleep
    14. The Farewell
    15. Wild Rose
    16. Ad Astra
    17. Honey Boy
    18. Gloria Bell
    19. Pain And Glory
    20. The Lighthouse
    21. Ford Vs. Ferrari
    22. Little Women
    23. Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker
    24. Richard Jewell
    25. The Report
    Still need to see: Waves, Just Mercy, The Souvenir, Her Smell, The Last Black Man In San Francisco

Reggie W likes this.
  10. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    The only 2019 films I've seen.

Avengers: Endgame
    Spider-Man: Far from Home
    Toy Story 4
    Captain Marvel
    Shazam!

I didn't particularly care for Shazam!

---------------

11. JoeStemme

JoeStemme Agent

Joseph
    My Top Films Of The Year:
    Top10 2019 jpegger.

Reggie W likes this.
  12. Message #12 of 13 Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I don’t have enough films to round out a top 25, but here is my top 10 plus a couple of honorable mentions:

10) Uncut Gems - One of those polarizing movies that appeals to some and turns off others. Sandler's relentlessly self-destructive character is a great performance, but the character is so toxic it can become exhausting for some people to watch. Outstanding performances all around.

9) Knives Out - This is the kind of film you can watch multiple times, like a good Columbo episode. I particularly liked how they inverted some of the Christie tropes but played it pretty close to the Christie formula. Also with a ton of great performances.

8) The Irishman - 3.5 hours of superlative performances. Yes, it kind of feels like a mob version of Forrest Gump at times, and the source material is probably about as truthful. But the 3.5 hours flew by for me.

7) Good Boys - This was the funniest movie of the year on a pure laughs per minute basis. Don't get me wrong, it is very smutty. But the filmmakers were able to thread the needle where it's an incorrigibly dirty movie swirling around a group of innocent kids who are sweet and well intentioned instead of being foul mouthed hellions. It definitely has that Apatavian balance of laughs and warmth.

6) Always Be My Maybe - This was the best romantic comedy of the year. Consistently funny, with a great cameo, and delivered on all levels.

5) The Farewell - So many touching and performances and sweet laughs. But what really impressed me was the quality of Lulu Wang's shots and compositions. It was beautiful looking, much more artistic than you normally get from a small comedy with this kind of budget.

4) Little Women - The cast is great, but Saorise Ronan is perfect for Gerwig's vision of Jo.

3) Parasite - The movie had me laughing out loud, which is uncommon for me when I watch foreign language films. It's an extraordinary mix of genres with performances to match.

2) Avengers Endgame - I personally think this movie was overlooked on end of year lists. Is it a "comic book" movie? Yes. But it's an extraordinary comic book movie in terms of scale and emotional resonance. There were people bawling their eyes out when I saw it, both from sadness and joy. But it's also the culmination of storytelling on a macro scale that they do on TV but I've never seen before in movies. Watching Endgame without seeing the other MCU films is like jumping into Game of Thrones with season 8. There are callbacks to the other movies that lose all of their meaning out of context. If you never saw Captain America: Winter Soldier before, "on your left", is just a random spatial indicator. But MCU fans know it's Sam Wilson and the line means everything. It's like that throughout the film. And that's just part of the reason the movie is so amazing. I don't know if I'll ever have a movie experience like this in my lifetime. I told my daughter as we left the theater, "The MCU is all downhill from here".

1) Honeyland - It's heart wrenching and sad, full of brutal and at times repulsive images. It's also incredibly beautiful and mesmerizing. It works as a character study and as an allegory for our current ecological state. There are times where it feels like I'm watching a Pasolini film, but it's a documentary.

Honorable mentions:

1) The Witch Part 1: The Subversion - It's not really a 2019 film (it's was released in 2018 in Korea), but I only got the chance to see it this year, and it would be in my top 10 easy if it had technically qualified. It's a multi-genre film, but it's hard to get into it without spoilers. In any case, everything in the movie works, and it's studded with great performances. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Hollywood remake. I was trying to keep this short and spoiler free, so I apologize that my description of the movie is totally incoherent.

2) Gemini Man UHD - Yes, the movie isn't very good. But the 4K HDR 60fps home video presentation is absolutely amazing. The video quality is as stunning as any 4K demo loop I've ever seen and the CGI is almost perfect (they still haven't nailed the twitchy lip and facial movements when talking, so it looks like they have a face full of novocaine). The action scenes made my stomach drop, the kind of sensation I get from a roller coaster ride. Those visceral reactions are what sets 60fps apart from 24fps. It’s interesting that Ang Lee is so invested in HFR 3D, but I’d love to see what a real action director can do with this tech.

Reggie W likes this.
  13. Message #13 of 13 Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

My top 14 films of 2019 in alphabetical order.

Clemency
    The Farewell
    Hatsuko (First Love)
    Knives Out
    The Lighthouse
    Les Miserables
    Luce
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    Pain And Glory
    Parasite
    The Report
    Us

There were some other films which didn't make the list but deserve honorable mention because of terrific performances like Judy (Renee Zellweger), Rocketman (Taron Egerton) and honorable failures like Ophelia (Naomi Watts, Daisy Ridley) which didn't quite work but I loved what it tried to do.