Your Top 10 Fave Silent Films?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim RH, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I have seen several of the "great" silent movies, but I am looking for some more recommendations. So please post your lists. Thank you!

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    City Lights

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror

The Cameraman

Abel Gance's Napoleon

Ben-Hur - A Tale of the Christ

The Man With The Movie Camera

Sherlock Jr.

Modern Times

The Unknown (Only on Turner Classic Movies every now and then.)

also see the miniseries "Hollywood"

in no order. (I sadly have not seen many others worth noting.)

Others I have not seen, but have heard are excellent:

Sunrise

The Big Parade

The Crowd

Wings

Any Lon Chaney

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Oh heck, where to begin. Alas, not all of these are on DVD yet.

Phantom of the Opera

The General

Greed

Metropolis

Strike (even more stunning use of editing than Battleship Potemkin)

Napoleon

Nosferatu

Intolerance (If you want to see where Lucas got the editing rhythms used for the end of Return of the Jedi, see the original back in 1916!)

It

Sadie Thompson

Pandora's Box

Diary of a Lost Girl

The Cheat

The Lost World (get the David Shepard-produced Image DVD with the half hour restored footage)

Ben-Hur

Safety Last

The Circus (my favorite silent Chaplin; much funnier to me than Gold Rush)

Wings

Cabinet of Caligari

Oliver Twist (1922)

Last of the Mohicans (1920)

Hell's Hinges (in the Treasures from American Film Archives DVD set)

Les Vampires

Cabiria

The Unknown (as nasty a movie as you're ever likely to want to see)

Those are just a few features off the top of my head; there are oodles more meritorious silents waiting to be discovered. Kleppel's book Silent Movies is a terrific resource. I just saw Alias Jimmy Valentine (1915) which was pretty good as well.

4. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Maybe I should let you know the ones that I have seen so far (that I can recall; in no order):

METROPOLIS

GREED

THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC

NOSFERATU

THE BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

CITY LIGHTS

THE GOLD RUSH

MODERN TIMES (and other Chaplin -and W.C. Fields- shorts)

THE BIRTH OF A NATION

THE LOST WORLD

I know I'm forgetting some....

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Tim, if you haven't seen The General, I suggest you start there. I can't say enough about what a great film it is.

If you like Buster, also try Sherlock Jr., Our Hospitality and Seven Chances.

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    there's an old fox theater here in town, they recently finsihed remodeling it (it's now a church) and to celebrate the remodeling they screened a restored print of The General, tickets were fifteen dollars and included a reception dinner afterwards. BUT, they did not advertise this at all! if you didn't sit on the city council or go to the church nodboyd had any clue it was going on until the day of, which was a friday, and it had a big spread in the paper. And wouldn't you know, I had to work that day. grrr...

sorry, had to rant

anyway I haven't seen many silents (to remdy that soon) but amazon just delivered the image charlie chaplin box set today, so i'm going to start with city lights or the gold rush (since great dictator is longer and i've seen modern times).

Adam

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well I think City Lights is the SHIZ-NIT. A classic silent or otherwise (which is true for any great silent film).
    Metropolis impressed me as a kid, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.
    Nosferatu although I never seem to catch the whole thing in one sitting.
    A Trip to the Moon. I love this film, simple as it is the visuals are so wonderful. Done in a time when the concept of film was to put on a stage play in front of the camera, it doesn't detract from the clever techniques used to give various illusions of depth, etc. Popular now as the Smashing Pumpkins video basically.
    Modern Times I don't like it as much as City Lights, but it's still classic stuff.
    Ben-Hur I love the remake, but I can see why some people prefer the original. It's a very impressive film and serves to show that filmmaking in the silent era was very sophisticated.
    The Man with a Movie Camera is not classic narrative, but it does exemplify how creative filmmakers were at the time. Especially Vertov and the other Russian filmmakers of the Soviet Montage school of technique.
    Speaking of, I have not seen Battleship Potemkin or any Eisenstein stuff yet, but I hear nothing but great things about his work.
    The Great Train Robbery More famous for it's place in the progress of narrative filmmaking, including some parallel scene threads (not quite cross-cutting but in that direction). Still it is a pleasant little watch and something about that end scene with the cowboy shooting at the camera is just cool looking to me.