Your thoughts on two Westerns.....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    For the longest time I have been hearing about
    Robert Duvall and his performance in
    Lonesome Dove. It's supposed to be the
    finest performance of his career.

Well, I never had any interest in watching
    Lonesome Dove because the title conveyed
    some sappy love story film I didn't think I'd
    like....that is, until one of my co-workers told
    me today that it was a WESTERN and one of
    the most successful TV mini-series ever made.

In fact, my co-worker was raving about this movie.

Anybody have any thoughts on it? It's on DVD and
    can be had for under $20.

Also....

He highly recommended Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,
    citing it to be one of the great Westerns.

Just thought I'd get some opinions here before I
    go and order these.

2. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Trust your friend--if you're a western fan, check those movies out--I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Ron; Lonesome Dove is a wonderful story featuring tremendous performances from Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones - the single disc is under $8 at deepdiscountdvd, but I would recommend the Lonesome Dove Collection at just over £21.

The transfer itself is in full screen, and a little soft, but perfectly acceptable.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is quite simply one of the finest westerns ever filmed by a true genius of American cinema, the incomparable John Ford. The transfer is excellent.

---
    So many films, so little time...

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Lonesome Dove is by far the best Western ever made for TV. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall are at their best (if not the best ever)—I’ve not seen the DVD, but the OAR is 4:3.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is John Ford’s last great film—so it is among the finest films ever made. John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart are at their finest.

Get both of these Ron—you won’t be disappointed.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, as others have stated, is a wonderful film. You get John Ford's direction, and fine performances from Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and Lee Marvin. Even my wife, who is not a fan of the western genre, really liked this film. This is one of the finest westerns ever filmed, IMO.

I'll have to try Lonesome Dove. The stigma of a "made for TV" movie has probably been why I avoided this title.

6. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Ditto on all of the comments made so far. These are both superb films.

As far as 'Lonsome Dove' being a love story, I would say it is a story about friendship and loyalty.

These films are absolutely marvelous and deserve a spot on your DVD shelf.

7. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

"Lonesome Dove" is my favorite western of all time...and that is saying something. When it debuted in 1989, it was the best miniseries I had ever seen and one of the best things ever made for television...in my opinion. You will all recall that it was a ratings wonder for struggling CBS at that time and it surprised network execs with how it did.

I don't want to get your expectations "too" high, but I loved it.

Danny Glover has a nice supporting roll as Deets in the film and really deserves credit for making the most of a a smaller role.

Robert Duvall admitted on Letterman that he believes that "Lonesome Dove" is the finest work of his career.

I couldn't agree more. Augustus McCrae is a roll that he was born to play. Don't discount Tommy Lee Jones performance at Woodrow F. Call, either. He is terrific in the part.

D.B. Sweeney and Steve Buscemi have small roles in the miniseries as well.

The picture quality on the DVD isn't great, but it is satisfactory.

I read the novel for the first time last summer (1000+ pages). I would have to say that it is one of the best books I have ever read and the miniseries holds up remarkably well in comparison.

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Also...

The score by Basil Poledouris ("The Hunt for Red October") is one of my favorite western scores. It really sets the tone for the entire series. I am sure most of you have heard it even if you don't realize it is from "Lonesome Dove."

Kevin Costner says in his commentary on "Dances With Wolves" that when he screened dailies he played them with the soundtrack of "Lonesome Dove."

It is directed by Simon Wincer who does a fine job with the source material he has to work with.

9. MichaelW

MichaelW Stunt Coordinator

Duvall - Western. One shouldn't really have to say any more than that.

Lonesome Dove was a GREAT story and series. A GREAT all around movie. The DVD is 4:3 and the image is incredibly soft. (A product of late '80s television production.) It takes a little to get used to, but once you are into it, the image problems become less severe.

However, if you are a fan of Westerns, it is a travesty not to have at least seen Lonesome Dove. A classic in every sense of the word featuring two of the best Western actors ever in Duvall and Jones.

For $8 it is well worth the expenditure. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is certainly a great western - definitely the best John Wayne western ever made.

A word of caution regarding Lonesome Dove. Yes, it's a western, but it's also a miniseries, not a movie, and that means you get a different feel, with lots of characters, many of whom are only around for an episode or two, etc. The acting and writing are top notch, as good as you'll see, but the editing, pacing, etc. are all tv miniseries, not feature length film.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

Sorry to go OT; but that award must surely go to Ford and Wayne's finest western, and one of the best films of all time - The Searchers.

I can barely wait for Warners forthcoming SE.

---
    So many films, so little time...

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Both are well worth seeing.

I don't share quite the same high opinion of LD as others here do, but it is well worth your time. Valance is a classic.

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Hey george, why don't you tell people how you feel about The Searchers. [​IMG]

Anywho, I remember watching something with the name Lonesome Dove, but I think it had Sam Elliot or something.

What's sad is that I need to see TMWSLV.

14. Wayne Earl

Wayne Earl Extra

Ron I thought I`d weigh in on Lonesome Dove as it is truely a classic western and one of the finest adaptations of a novel ever brought to the screen. I had high hopes for this miniseries when it was originally broadcast as I had loved Larry Mcmurtry`s`s Pulitzer Prize winning novel.Lo and behold but Robert Duvall & Tommy Lee Jones just nail the main characters Gus & Call.The book is a 945 page turner and the movie has 6 hours to bring it to life .Trust me you will not be bored for a second as with minutes you are totally into the characters.I know how much you enjoyed Open Range, as I did ,so I guarantee you will enjoy Duvall sinking his teeth into this role. Jones is awesome also and I`m not a big fan.With a supporting cast including Anjelica Huston ,Danny Glover ,Robert Ulrich and a very young Diane Ladd, as the town whore, you can`t go wrong.What separates this movie from the pack is the rich dialogue, most of it lifted verbatim from the stirring novel.The dvd is adequate but nothing special. It is a two disc set with chapter insert , the movie`s four parts are spread equally three hours per disc.It is the original fullscreen presentation and is not formatted to fit your screen as it erroneously states on packaging.It starts off quite grainy and soft but picks up in a hurry. The 2.0 dolby surround does a good job in conveying the fantastic music by ,I`m pretty sure, Basil Poledouris . It`s an classic western Ron and I`m sorry Mr Coster but it`s Robert Duvall`s finest role in a western even though Boss was pretty damm good.

15. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I must say I haven't seen either of those, but I truely enjoyed Tombstone, and it's a fine set as well.

-Bryan

16. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I borrowed Lonesome Dove off a co-worker a couple years ago, and found it to be very enjoyable. As others have said, Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are both great in it.

The only unfortunate thing is that the DVD is by Artisan, who we all know doesn't do the best work in the industry. The picture quality is not the best, but that shouldn't stop you from watching.

The title refers to the name of a South Texas town from which the drama unfolds.

I've never gotten around to watching Return to Lonesome Dove (apparently not in the Lonesome Dove Collection) or the other titles that are in the Lonesome Dove Collection.

As to the number of discs, I know originally Lonesome Dove was released on a single disc DVD-18, but it may only available multiple discs now.

17. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    LONESOME DOVE is definitely one of the best mini-series ever made. I don't have the DVD because I heard the transfer was sub-par (after all it's from Artisian), so I've held on to my LaserDisc Box set. It might peak your interest to know that it was originally conceived as a movie script for John Wayne and Henry Fonda. When that never came to be, McMurtry turned it into a novel.

I also agree with all of the others who have heaped praise on THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. It's a great movie; so perfect thatI can't think of anything that could have been done to make it better.

18. Gordon St Pierre

Gordon St Pierre Stunt Coordinator

I also saw Lonesome Dove when it originally aired on TV and loved it.I remember looking into the DVD a long time ago & there where reports that it had beed terribly hacked up ..more than 2 hrs cut if i remember correctly?
    ....so I never did buy it.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

If you had to pick between the two I'd go with "Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". It is a great western & very well acted. I've never seen, nor have I any interest in seeing "LONESOME DOVE".

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Let's just say I think Liberty Valance is so much better it's not funny.