Your thoughts on these Speaker Packages

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Bo, Dec 6, 2001.

1. David Bo

David Bo Auditioning

Dec 3, 2001
    Recently I have been looking at Home Theater Systems. I've never had a surround system, and figure its about time. I have decided on the Kenwood 506 receiver:
    which is only $190.
    But for the speakers, I am not sure. Here is what I'm looking at-
    JBL's NSP1 5-piece($270):
    JBL SCS 135($260):
    Acoustic Research HC1(Haven't heard anything on these yet)$270:
    Fluance AV-HTB(seems suspiciously low priced at $200):
    I can only get about $500 now, so I could not purchase a subwoofer yet. The one I'm looking at is the Sony SA-WM40(I think that's the number), which is around $150-200.
    So what do you guys think of these speakers? I'm leaning toward the JBL NSP1 package, even if it is a lot more expensive.
  2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Feb 28, 2001
    JBL NSP-1 and that Sony SA-WM40 from Best Buy. for ~$450, it cant be beat IMO. i have the NSP-1 and an SVS 25-31PC and they ROCK!
  3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Oct 30, 2000
    Yes, I agree with Thomas, definitely go with the NSP-1.

And the Sony SA-WM40 is a great starter sub, especially for the price.
  4. ChrisJanikey

ChrisJanikey Auditioning

Dec 7, 2001
    I just received my Fluance AV-HTB speaker set, 4-days after ordering online direct. Unfortunately my home theater room is still under construction so I haven't heard them yet, but it's just as well since I'm new to home theater and my opinion wouldn't be worth much.

However, I can vouch for the fact that they do exist, and there's no scam. They're big, heavy, and solid, with excellent build quality. The simulated wood finish on the MDF is seamless. Although not yet a home theater expert, I do have some woodworking experience, and these are very well built.

My only complaints so far is that the shipping box handles were a little weak and were ripped off during shipping, taking some of the protective styrofoam with them. (It only had to go from Toronto to Boston, a relatively short trip for UPS.) The good news is that I emailed my concerns to Fluance, and they responded the same day saying they are currently considering options, such as double-boxing... but they're trying to figure out how to do it without increasing the total price (is cost them $10 per cardboard box).

They also mentioned that they would be soon upgrading the chrome plated plastic logo with stainless steel. Unfortunately it will be the same size (I suggested it might be a little too big), but this upgrade indicates to me that they plan to be around for a while.