Your thoughts on the panasonic SA-HE100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Adams, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this reciever is.

here are some of the spec's

6ch amplifier, 100x6
    dd pl 2
    dd ex
    dts es
    dts neo 6,
    component in/out
    3 svid in/ 1 out,
    a/b speaker selector,
    dsp, hall,club,live,theater,sim surround,party.
    independant sub control,
    4 digi inputs, 3 optical/1 coax.
    front audio/video input.

for 499cdn

It sounds like a good buy for someone who wants the gadgets, with out the normal 1500cdn price tag for a unit with all this......

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I listened to it today, sounds good, better than my sony for sure. also I noticed that the american version has no neo6, s vid out, and binding posts for the speakers, so the cdn version is a little bit better.....

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

If it is anything like the ole' technice 1050 then I would say it will not sound good.. (well, at least not with good speakers)

4. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Im not expecting it to sound unbeleiveable, I listened to it like I said, It sounded better than my sony....and with the bells and wistles, I don't think you can beat it....anyone else have any opinions? thanks matthew....

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

4 possible concerns:

1) The remote control is small, limited, poorly labled.
    2) No on-screen displays.
    3) Only 1 coaxial digital input.
    4) The fan comes on when more than a few watts is demanded for more than a moment.

Artie

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

What I think should be looked at is that this receiver can hit 100watts with .9% THD at 1khz. Those things mean a little more to me on a budget receiver as it has the "features" but might not have the sound. I'm sure I'm not the only one that could live with 5 channels of amplification at say 50-75watts with better THD measurements across 20hz-20khz.

But definitely worth a listen to if that's someone's budget as most $300 receivers probably won't differ much (power wise).

Regards,

Dan Hine

7. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Like i said, i have listened to it, untweeked at the dealership, it's impressive for the amount of money you pay and what you get....I have no doubt that alot of people will enjoy this, and like i said, it's not going to sound as good as the marantz that i was looking at, but the features that it has, and the WAY lower price, im sold![​IMG]

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It really does sound reasonably good, add the features, look at the price tag, and it just adds up to near unbeatable combination.

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

So to our cold Northern friends,

1)- Is it a fact that the units avaialble in Canada are DTS NEO-6, along with the additional S-vid jacks ~{and the USA versions are not}~?

2)- Are both colors Siver-100 & Black-100K available in Canada?

3)- And if this is the case is their some place on line (a link would be much apreciated) that carrys the Silver (supposed Canada version) and ships state side?

Im finding some conflicting information on the web dealing with the USA/Canada questions. Panasonic USA web-site states no neo-6 or additional S-vid, though one net sell state side advertises the Black 100K with the same information your suposed Canada version has! Priced at surprising 240.00 & a flat 10.00 shipping rate. Yahoo and Bizrate rated 5 star seller.

All other web sellers do not indicate the Neo-6 and extra S-vid. Including J/R along with a few lesser known on-line sellers...

So whats the real deal and where do I find the supposed Silver Canada "more goodies" better version and get it shipped state side....

Andrew:
    What issue is the S&V review and or power write up?

Thanxs
    Geoff

11. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Geoff,

It's the current issue...July/August. DTS Neo:6, DPL2, 3 AV input with S-Vid...2 w/component, 1 AV Output with S-Vid...1 w/component, 1 coax...3 optical in, 1 optical out. Also has a PHONO.
    Has no pre-outs and has binding posts for A speakers only...B speakers and everything else get spring clips of different sizes.

Paul

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hey Paul,
    Thanks for the S&V info! Your probley wondering why im looking into this Panny receiver![​IMG]
    Well it's for my brothers bedroom system. All his gear up stars "bedroom" currently receiver-less, and the big system down stairs, is Silver Brushed. He's been looking for a CHEAP priced Silver receiver for the Bedroom. I think you might remember what I said about his cheapness factor! Don't kill me bro for letting the cat out of the bag. [​IMG] Showed him this a few weeks ago for the bedroom and he was extremly interested. Looks to be allot for little.
    Would be nice to know what is really going on with the Canada/USA deal???
    His main room is still Prepro-less... Was looking at the overseas version of the 49tx Jap model to use as a pre. Well he passed when not being able to find one here to see and listen. The Jap/German Silver unit model, supposed to be world wide current capable. Flip of a switch on the rear and USA wall cord included. This is not from Pioneer but second hand from an e-mail to a Germany seller.
    Have to leave for a bit, working down to my dads today. Hope somene has some clear info on the Panny Canada/USA thing. If the case is as it seems, where to get one of the Silver Canada units and then get it shipped state side cheaply.
    So what was S&V's over all feel on the feature ladien ultra cheap Panny, Paul????? [​IMG] [​IMG] ? So So?

13. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

well, im waiting to see if my dealer can get me the silver one, called the SA-HE100/s here in canada. Yes it does have everything you mentioned,

neo:6
    3 svid in one svid out,
    component in/out,

among other things. It's sounds very good to, I have seen and heard the black one, going to order the silver one tho, Like the looks better, looks more "expensive" for some reason. If you like I can see about getting one shipped to you if you like...just pm me and let me know. might even be able to swing a better deal if two are purchased the same time....

14. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Geoff,

As you might expect, they were impressed for the money. So was I. I still think the Onk 494 is one of the best entry levels out there overall but to each his own.

Paul

15. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes Paul,

I would tend to agree with the proven Onkyo!

But state side the Onkyo is only available in "Black", right?

Correct me if i am wrong, pleaseeee.

Panasonic for a HT-receiver, yeh right.
    BUT
    Lets not beat the horse till we have rode it...

Geoff

Edit:
    Steve you have been PM'ed....