What's new

Your Thoughts on the Olympus 5060 & Online Retailers (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
The wife's buying a new camera for me for my birthday. I've been very happy w/ my Olympus C-3000 Zoom. I've done the research and think I'm going to purchase the Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom. Any thoughts? I've read plenty of reviews on the web, but am curious if any of you guys here have or have used this camera.

Also, it looks like I'll be buying from Buydig.com or Digitalfotoclub.com or maybe even circuitdigital.com. Anybody used any of these online sites?

Peace,

DM

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't know too much about that camera -- and don't see a review on dpreview.com for it. But that Oly line has its fair share of fans, and I don't recall any particular negative comments about the C5060, except maybe for the noise/grain level and maybe some purple fringing(?) -- both are characteristic of cameras (of nearly all brands) that used the Sony 1/1.8" 5MP CCD. If you like the 27mm wideangle capability and the ergonomics and general feature set -- and you probably do since you've been very happy w/ the old C3000 -- I don't see why not the C5060, except if you want something more than a compact digicam and/or something different. Well, there *is* the new C7070 that might be worth considering though as it's only a tad more than the 1.5-year-old C5060, but I know even less about that one. :D

FWIW, for my $$$, I'd also check out the alternative from Canon if the wideangle capability of the Oly is not that important to you. Also, I'd consider whether an entry level DSLR might be better if I was *still* happy w/ the C3000 for a compact. The D-Rebel price has come down a lot, and Nikon is expected to release a D50 into that price range w/in the month. Of course, an entry level DSLR *will* be more expensive and bigger/heftier than the C5060.

As for dealers, BuyDig.com (and their alter ego BeachCamera.com :D) should be fine -- I and many others have bought plenty from them. Haven't bought anything before from Digitalfotoclub.com but I guess they're ok based on the occasional comments I've seen and their seller ratings at sites like PriceGrabber.com. Never heard of circuitdigital.com before, so I'd pass on them.

_Man_

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Thanks Man! 7070 is a little out of my price range. I do like the wide zoom capability of the 5060. I appreciate the info on the retailers.

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks