Your thoughts on Rainbow Children

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Nov 23, 2001.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

The new album by Prince.

It seems he was gotten more "musical" with his latest efforts. Long gone is his trademark drum snare drum snare beats on the 1, 2, 3, & 4 respectively. This album is very jazzy. To change your name back to Prince, this is not what I expected. I guess the legend of the 80's will be forever gone. Only true fans of Prince will pick this up.

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

My thoughts? Bad, bad, bad. 10 years ago I was a major Prince fan, but via a series of bland albums and lackluster, uninventive concerts, I'm close to giving up on him. Rainbow Children may not be the last straw, but it's close to it in the pack...

3. Russ Felton

Russ Felton Stunt Coordinator

I have toyed with picking it up but I have my reservations.I used to be a huge Prince fan but I was less than thrilled by the last few albums (New Power Soul is almost unlistenable to me, I don't think I have listened to more than half of it without cringing). And what does the sticker on the cd that states it's the "controversial new album" mean? What's so controversial about it? Is it because it sucks?

Russ

4. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

yes Russ, Prince figured how best can I let people know my album sucks. I know, I'll put a sticker on it stating that is is my controversial new album. [​IMG]

5. Russ Felton

Hey now, I was only joking. [​IMG]
    I just couldn't figure out what could possible be controversial about his new album when Prince really hasn't been all that controversial in about 10 years. And considering some of his truly controversial material from his past, this album would have to be something really out there in order to compete. Now if he is calling it controversial because of religious content, then it's not that controversial because most people who have heard his last few albums already know this is what he's doing now.
    So back to my original question;
    What makes it so controversial ????

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

What's controversial about it is that it's basically a running ad for Jehova's Witnesses.

I mean Prince always had a religous edge to hiss music, but it was never as blatantly self-serving as this is.

The "music" is pretty good. The "Album" is garbage, and I am a H U G E Prince fan.

7. Russ Felton

See, now that's what I'm talking about. I have every Prince album up to Rave Unto the Joy Fantastic (which I though was an improvment, not the greatest but an improvment). I think I may pass on the Rainbow Children. What a shame. [​IMG]

8. Chad Parks

Chad Parks Stunt Coordinator

I think if you can get past the lyrics, it's one of Prince's most inventive records. His musicianship really is taken up a notch on this record (and that's really saying something).

But that again is if you can get past the lyrics. I assume most people are getting hung up on that.