What's new

Your thoughts on PSB speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Just wondered what those of you who own (or have heard) PSB speakers think about them. I've found some unbelievable prices on their product and the general idea I get is that they make a good speaker. I just wondered how owners thought they matched up against other brands.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
What model/s are you considering? PSB has 3 categories plus subs and architectural models.

Sometimes a manufacturer will have a very good speaker in one line, but not so in another. And I am not inferring here that that's the case with PSB.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of PSB Image 4Ts that I got a really good deal on. I've grown to dislike them more and more. It took about 4 months for them to break in and stop sounding overly bright and the midbass/bass never came alive. They would do a good job in HT applications if they were coupled with a subwoofer. The clarity on the upper range is very good and they sound good with voices/dialogue. I just really started disliking them more and more when I set them up in my dedicated music room.

I know PSBs are well-loved by many people so my situation may be unique. I just know that the Mirage M790s I had before were much more enjoyable and come this weekend I will be setting up my GR Research Paradox 1s to replace the 4Ts in the music room. I'll be moving them back to the living room with the big screen where they seem to be more in their element.

-Mike...

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine recently bought a HT setup based around the Image 3LRs. I haven't had too much audition time with them but I think they sound great, especially for the price he paid. He's had them for about a year now and still loves them. FWIW, he's powering the system with a Marantz 7200.

Martice

Screenwriter
Excellent value!! Unless you compare them to similar offerings in the DIY circle. Infact comparing most commercial speakers to correctly built and designed DIY or 'Turn Key' DIY offerings is a mismatch in favor of the DIY speakers in regards to cost and how much performance you get for the same dollar amount.
Back to the question, PSB are among the best commercial speaker offerings with a lot of competition from companies like Mirage, Paradigm, Klipsch and Def Tech etc...
I personally used to own the PSB Goldi's and although they were very good for music and awesome for movies (talk about dynamics), I preferred the midrange and up accuracy, clarity, detail retrieval and soundstage from the GR Research AV1+ DIY speakers(Turn Key). Although the soundstage with the GR's were not necessarily larger then the PSB's, I did find the soundstage sharper and more stable and alive with the GR's.
I recommend the PSB as an excellent choice if you want to stick with the commercial offerings of today in the high mid-fi to lower hi-fi speaker offerings. However, if you want to maximize your dollar and take advantage of quality crossover parts, cabinet build and performance, then you may want to investigate some of the DIY (Turn KEy) offerings from a variety of companies that cater to the DIY crowd as well as the person who wants to take advantage of the DIY offerings but doesn't have the SKILLZ to do it themselves.
GR Research
Link Removed
Adire Audio
Link Removed
Link Removed
This should get you started if you are curious to see the offerings of some of these companies.
Good Luck

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I am very pleased with my PSB Image 6T's. Very clean, very clear and pleasant sounding. Good dynamics, good bass and very clean sounding. Oh and of course even though I like them for music, they also work great for theatre just because when you get the matching 9C centre and 2B surrounds you have fairly seemless sound because of the use of all the same drivers :)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
What model/s are you considering?
I was interested in the Image lineup.

I'm really not comparing any of my choices to DIY. I have the skill to make the cabinets and assemble the components, but I just don't need another construction project around my house. I've still got half my basement to finish!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
PSB are great speakers at good prices, developed by one of the former Paradigm designers.

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
I've not heard the Image series but do own a pair of PSB Stratus Bronze I was able to purchase last year at a substantial discount. The speakers are used in a 2 channel stero system. In comparison to other (more expensive) speakers I have owned including Thiel cs.5, Vandersteen 2ce, and Near M50, I'd have to say the PSBs are very competitive. In fact, with the possible exception of the Thiels, I prefer them to any of the above speakers. IMO, the PSB's combination of smooth frequency balance, transparancy, bass extension and power handling capacity make them a bargain even at full list price.

Bob

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
If you're in CA I have a pair of PSB stratus goldi's for sale $1100. These are great speakers, but I stepped up to silverline audio's.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I auditioned them last year mainly against Paradigms and chose the latter: The PSB sounded dull to me and there seemed to be no midrange.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

--
Holadem

Chip E

Screenwriter
I love my speakers.. Clean,crisp,dynamic sound...Excellent midrange, not bright at the top. Perfect for me.
PSB Stratus Silveri main's, Stratus C6i center channel, Image 10S surround's. I run an SVS 20-39PC sub down looooooooooow. :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I like my PSB's because I can't hear them. I really mostly hear the music. I am aware of the cabinet and the room, but I can't hear the drivers really. I mean, they do sound clean and transparent. I'm sure there are more transparent sounding speakers out there, but for the money, I'll bet the PSB image series are one of the best for uncoloured sound :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks