What's new

Your thoughts on possible icy Interstate travel? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You'll be fine. Have a great time visiting family and marry Christmas!

EDIT: Merry Christmas. Don't "marry" it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m near D.C. it’s been raining all day. But it’s been 40s to high 50s all day. No ice down here. Tomorrow it’s getting colder, but should be above freezing. And the roads haven’t cold-soaked this week either. If you’re driving the eastern corridor, looks ok farther south.

David Norman

Premium
You keep making me come back for more questions. It's your experience.

I am planning to come back to NJ either two days before New Years, New Years Eve or New Years Day.

What do you think will be the best travel day where I won't experience the parking lot you did in Virginia/Washington? I know that area well on 95 and it often comes to a complete standstill. I think they are doing lots of expansion there so hopefully in the future that problem will be alleviated somewhat.

New Years shouldn't a problem though much busier than Christmas Day.

If you decide to go on a busier day -- I hate that I95 drive from Richmond to Philly so much I normally consider flipping over to I84 out of Richmond to I81 and coming up any other route. I rather drive an extra 100 miles and be driving rather than inching along. I just not sure how far out of the way that would take you. Quite nice scenery that way as well

SandmanXXX

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
I also recommend New Years morning/day. I think since it's the weeknd coming, possibly more folks staying where they are longer.
As I made the drive many years from NC to Newport news Va,, I-85 and 58/I-95 and I-64, it seemed to be quietest on the actual day, and forget about driving the day before OR the day after, the 2nd, its packed.. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am sorry guys. I should have checked back sooner.

I made it to North Carolina with no issues.

The winds subsided early Christmas morning around 4 am. I left soon after that. Temperatures in the high 50s. There was some heavy rain to deal with however once I reached Delaware (90 minutes later), it subsided quite a bit. Once I hit Virginia the weather really cleared up nicely.

There was not much traffic, as you all predicted. Rest areas were open which was nice.

Not sure when I am driving back. Could be New Years' morning which seems to be the best bet.

Thanks for all the advice and for asking about me.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My friend who’s also a driver had to go through the Washington DC area on Saturday on his way to NC for a delivery. He said his trip was delayed by about 70 minutes due to traffic volume. I didn’t look at Google Maps yesterday, but I would bet traffic was a bear too.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Drive safe on the way home.

I just almost became a hood ornament on a NY state DOT snowplow that slid way across the center line turning at an intersection in town. We both got stopped with less than 5' between my front bumper and his plow. Ready for spring already and winter has barely begun.

The threat with winter driving has always been this one for me. I trust my own abilities to negotiate icy and snow covered roads. It's the other drivers around me that frighten me. Always keep your eyes peeled for the people about to make mistakes.

I won't even trust the snowplow drivers after today. Always thought if anyone was safe to be around on bad roads, those guys were.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Drive safe on the way home.

I just almost became a hood ornament on a NY state DOT snowplow that slid way across the center line turning at an intersection in town. We both got stopped with less than 5' between my front bumper and his plow. Ready for spring already and winter has barely begun.

The threat with winter driving has always been this one for me. I trust my own abilities to negotiate icy and snow covered roads. It's the other drivers around me that frighten me. Always keep your eyes peeled for the people about to make mistakes.

I won't even trust the snowplow drivers after today. Always thought if anyone was safe to be around on bad roads, those guys were.

Leo,

What a scary ordeal. I am happy to hear you are okay.

I am driving back New Years' morning. It's going to be all rain, but at least, the temperatures will be well above freezing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just thought of something else to look for if you have to travel at night during the Winter- if you see little icicle drops at the bottom of road signs (speed limit, deer crossing, etc), there’s a very good chance the roads have ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haroldnlacy
Recent bookmarks