your thoughts on pioneer DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Fassler, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

found a somewhat decent deal on a pioneer DVD player model DV563AS, read alot of good things about it and have read some bad things about, Just am curious what you folks here have to say, Since I know that I will get a "real" honest answer. these players seem to be pretty well liked, not a super high end player, but better than the apex player someone gave me for xmas. [​IMG]

2. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

I purchased one last weekend for $149 at BB and am very impressed with audio; picture is fine (I don't use prog scan). Bang for buck probably impossible to beat if you want SACD & DVD-A.
    The only serious drawback is bass management in SACD & DVD-A. I've just purchased an Outlaw ICBM to handle it, but it drives the overall price up a lot ($329 + shipping). The problem is no other universal offers serious bass management either at the price of the Pioneer + ICBM.
    The x-over on the 563-A is 200Hz! Ridiculous!

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

thanks for your reply Mike, not sure if i even will use it SACD or DVD-A, dont really have an interest in those yet, just need a somewhat decent player and this seems to fit the bill.

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I will be in the market for a new player in the next few months and am considering this player and the Denon 2200 as well. I have a Sony 7700 that's 3.5 years old that is starting to "wig out" (although I don't know why - it's not over-used and has been pampered). I picked it up for under $500.00 and am hesitant to purchase another player at a similar price (the Denon in this case). However, if there is a substantial difference in quality between the Pioneer and the Denon, I'll likely spend the extra money.

5. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I owned one but returned it. The picture quality was good, the sound was alright though it sounded a little boomy, but I am sure I could adjust the levels to fix that. I returned the player since it only played back DVD-R's and I dvds burned in both formats already and I need the ability to play back both. I couldn't get the dvd audio to work in 5.1 but I am sure I forgot to change one setting to get it working right.

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I picked one up a couple weeks ago open box at CC for $70.00 and I love it!!!! compared it to my XP50 and yes its better but not by too much from my eye. the 563A gives a good progressive picture!

7. Derek B

Derek B Stunt Coordinator

I am a faithful Pioneer customer.

I have owned the DV-434 and DV-333 DVD players. Unfortunately, after 2 years, both of them crapped out on me. The 434 gives a software error message that will never go away. The 333 only accepts some discs and wont let you go to the menu of discs or give you the ability to control the player at all.

I still like Pioneers products, but I would never buy a Pioneer DVD player again. Also, there are lots of better players out there with better de-interlacers. Check out the www.hometheaterhifi.com "DVD Benchmark" review. If you can find a Panasonic XP-30 on EBAY, then you will be happy. It is one of the best players there are for video quality.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes I agree, I managed to nab a lightly used XP30 a few months ago for $250, and I am very satisfied!