What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (6 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Have you watched it?
Yes! haven't watched Blue Skies yet PTSD again Emperor's Waltz was one I had never seen till I got the old dvd about 6 years ago stunning color odd duck of a Crosby film but the color was so enchanting I had to get the blu ray! And luckliy an occasion came up and someone got it for me! Mr C I was referencing the Crosby Christmas specials from Time Life when I asked if it was good! Sorry I was not too clear my fault!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
just picked these two up...thanks Kino for all you do for lovers if physical medium...

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 20

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
just picked these two up...thanks Kino for all you do for lovers if physical medium...
Two GREAT Technicolor Treats! Gardan of Allah looks great --- Kino's restored Nothing Sacred was a revelation when I first saw it better than those yucky PD prints

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Surpised NOT one film fan ever mentioned saving Paramounts The Perils Of Pauline from PD jail -- Hutton's biggest hit until Annie Get Your Gun --- great cast would love this in GREAT Technicolor!

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Two GREAT Technicolor Treats! Gardan of Allah looks great --- Kino's restored Nothing Sacred was a revelation when I first saw it better than those yucky PD prints
It's so nice to aquire decently retsored BD editions, and to have companies like Network, Criterion, Arrow and Kino stepping up in the PM marketplace!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Surpised NOT one film fan ever mentioned saving Paramounts The Perils Of Pauline from PD jail -- Hutton's biggest hit until Annie Get Your Gun --- great cast would love this in GREAT Technicolor!
Every once in a while they drop The Parils of Pauline on network rotation but I'd love a personal copy looking better than the burn copies you see for sale in the marketplace!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
never saw a great print wonder if universal has the ocn
if they can even find it, LOL!!! The preverbial dust is still setteling from all of the mergers, and buyouts. I think they're trying, but most are lookng forward and not back to the archive Gold that may be hidding there.
They need people like Mr F @WAC, who sees the importance and activly searching for, the titles and the elements required to get the job done. He thinks like a collector, and has the power to make it possible!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
if they can even find it, LOL!!! The preverbial dust is still setteling from all of the mergers, and buyouts. I think they're trying, but most are lookng forward and not back to the archive Gold that may be hidding there.
They need people like Mr F @WAC, who sees the importance and activly searching for, the titles and the elements required to get the job done. He thinks like a collector, and has the power to make it possible!!
If it was is the emka sale from paramount to universal in the 1950's wonder if they made new prints then or maybe it is still with paramount?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Yep, that's how those burn copies look....just SAD!!!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I had just moved to NYC, back in 1974, when I saw that The Metropolitan Museum of Art was having a Hollywood Costume Exhibit curated by Diana Vreeland. And what an Exhibit it was! I went several times, drooling over all the costumes. The one which remains most vivid in my mind is the one Marlene Dietrich wore when she headed off into the desert in THE GARDEN OF ALLAH. It was set at one end of a long hallway, with a wind machine blowing on it so that the long chiffon draperies billowed down the hall. Ye gods and little fishes was that something to see!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I had just moved to NYC, back in 1974, when I saw that The Metropolitan Museum of Art was having a Hollywood Costume Exhibit curated by Diana Vreeland. And what an Exhibit it was! I went several times, drooling over all the costumes. The one which remains most vivid in my mind is the one Marlene Dietrich wore when she headed off into the desert in THE GARDEN OF ALLAH. It was set at one end of a long hallway, with a wind machine blowing on it so that the long chiffon draperies billowed down the hall. Ye gods and little fishes was that something to see!
Did Technicolor though make that costume look even better on screen

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t know why Time Out of Mind has been so neglected over the years. For some reason it’s never been released on DVD but sound and picture quality on KL’s Blu-ray is excellent. The film has lush production values and is well directed by Robert Siodmak with fluid camera work and excellent performances (always good to see Leo G. Carroll), along with some impressive matte shots which provide gothic atmosphere. I must correct one error in Elissa Rose’s otherwise fine commentary track (co-hosted with Lee Gambin), in which she refers to the “New England Symphony” which climaxes the film as being composed by Charles Ives. This piece of music was in fact written by the film’s credited composer Miklos Rozsa. Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco who is also credited as composer in the credits, adapted Rozsa's music but Charles Ives had nothing to do with the film..
1659922286950.png

After watching the Blu-ray twice, I don't think of "Time Out of Mind" as a film noir. I agree with the audio commentators that it's more of a gothic romance in which major portions of the movie were filmed like a film noir by Siodmak with the lightening and camera angles. Not a bad movie, but I wish Ella Raines was in the movie more as she was radiant during her film sequences. Man, she should have been a major film star. She had the looks and acting chops to be one. Kudos to Kino for finally releasing this movie onto Blu-ray. It's a solid video presentation. This movie wasn't a favorite of Siodmak nor it's lead female actress Phyllis Calvert, but I'm happy to have finally watched it.

One thing that bother me about audio commentary is that they didn't talk about the supporting actors enough. Hell, they didn't even mentioned the fact that Olivia and Joan's mother appeared in the film as Aunt Melinda. As both actresses got into their senior years, the sisters not only looked more alike, but also resembled their mother more so.

1659662094302.png
1659662315056.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The first 4 listed are no-brainers. We've released his 6 Road to movies, Blue Skies with Astaire and Billy Wilder's The Emperor Waltz. The only others we would probably be interested in if they were available to us, are High Society, The Country Girl and maybe Stagecoach.
I was hoping you might consider Star Spangled Rhythm, Paramount's all-star contribution to the war entertainment effort. Filled with delightful songs and skits and most all of the Paramount roster doing something, it's brimming with patriotic nostalgia. Of course, most of the big stars making contributions are unknown to today's younger viewers, but we old timers would sure love to see it spiffed up on a Blu-ray disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1659672618137.png

A "B" movie from Universal with my favorite Ella Raines along with Charles Korvin as Arsene Lupin. John Barrymore he's not! I love the supporting cast with this mildly entertaining 72 minute movie from 1944. A solid video presentation that Kino delivered on Blu-ray.

Next up from "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema VIII" is:

1659672889430.png

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I don't think we've ever asked for Hellzapoppin. Did I say it had legal issues?

It'a no secret that the rights are owned jointly by the Olsen and Johnson estates, and they loathe each other. The other O&J shows are available for release because they were original screenplays, but HELLZAPOPPIN was an adaptation of their Broadway smash, and Universal only held the film rights for a fixed period of time. Logic dictates that they're screwing themselves out of money by not coming to a new agreement, but sometimes hate trumps cash. Frankly, I'd rather have CRAZY HOUSE and GHOST CATCHERS anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks