What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised this 4K announcement didn't garner more of HTF membership response in this thread. I think it's one of Eastwood's best films with his mentor Don Siegel directing the movie. It's the first movie that I noticed Fred Ward and Danny Glover in. The interactions between Patrick McGoohan and Eastwood's characters are classic. Also, Paul Benjamin as English was great in this film based on an actual Alcatraz escape attempt.

I believe this 4K/UHD release will also contain a Blu-ray derived from the new 4K scan used for this release.
I suspect, if I am typical, readers here may gain more excitement from titles never released on home video, in any format, rather than titles already out, but coming out in a higher quality format.
That is not to ignore an upgrade to 4K, but you see where I'm going.
Bear in mind a lot of these obscure titles, many here will not have seen. I know I havn't and have long since resigned myself to the only way of seeing older titles is on a purchased disc.
P.S. Like most here, I prefer discs. I choose when and if to watch a title.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yup. Escape From Alcatraz is a good film, but I'm not sure it screams out for a 4K release.

That's the way I felt when I saw the announcement.

I am at the point where I don't want to continually keep upgrading titles from format to format.

For the most part, Blu-ray releases look exceptional. I don't see the upside for a title like this being upgraded to 4k. But that's my personal preference and for some, a 4k release may be purchase-enticing for them.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Same for me. I am buying 3D titles but only 4K if it's required to get the 3D Blu-ray disc or if it's on sale and I know I'm going to watch it a lot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Something to add...

On the other hand, for a long time, we wondered if 4k would remain a niche format and how many catalog titles would actually get released.

So, it's good to see that many of these titles are being considered for 4k release. Now the question is whether there are enough collectors interested in actually upgrading from their Blu-ray counterparts.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
4K is still a niche format. A small percentage of 4k discs purchased compared to Blu-ray and DVD.

1654523346049.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4K is still a niche format. A small percentage of 4k discs purchased compared to Blu-ray and DVD.

View attachment 140908

Yes, as far overall adoption rate you are correct.

However (and perhaps worded it wrong), the stream of 4k releases from the studios was pretty thin for a long time. Additionally (and understandably), the catalog titles that were getting released were the standard popular fare that is usually the first out of the gate when we move to a new format.

What is happening now is that the studios are farming out their titles (as they have with Blu-ray) to smaller labels to release in 4k. This is an uptick that we had not previously seen.

So, using the word "niche" (which again may have not been the best word to use) pertains to a new widening of catalog release considerations that were not previously being considered.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
DVDs are becoming an even greater share of sales? Wow.
I don't know who's buying DVDs these days. I'm still buying DVD box sets of TV programs that will never get a Blu-ray release (& they really are dirt cheap s/hand in charity shops), but for feature films, why DVD when there's HD Blu-ray? Not that I personally know anyone who's buying discs now, if it wasn't for sites like this I could believe I was the only one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know who's buying DVDs these days.
I'm sure it's mostly down to cost. The discs are cheaper, the players are cheaper, and SD is "good enough" for most people.

Could also be availability/convenience as DVD's are also more widely available in the big box stores, at least around here. Others here have reported a different experience, but in the stores around me Walmart's media section is probably 80-90% DVD. The only 4K or blu-ray options are mostly the first couple of weeks for brand new releases.

I imagine many people without the financial or technological means to utilize streaming are buying mostly cheap DVD's from the big retailers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not surprise because this pandemic has taken its toll on discretionary funds for a large segment of people. Many people have left the job market and now we're having increased inflation. Some hard spending choices have to be made and DVD is good enough for many of those making their choices.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I'm surprised this 4K announcement didn't garner more of HTF membership response in this thread. I think it's one of Eastwood's best films with his mentor Don Siegel directing the movie. It's the first movie that I noticed Fred Ward and Danny Glover in. The interactions between Patrick McGoohan and Eastwood's characters are classic. Also, Paul Benjamin as English was great in this film based on an actual Alcatraz escape attempt.

I believe this 4K/UHD release will also contain a Blu-ray derived from the new 4K scan used for this release.
I've noticed the HTF members are usually more excited about older films, especially pre-code ones. We usually look at the response we get on Facebook and Twitter, both of those were very positive, I'm sure this will be a big seller for us.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I've noticed, the HTF members are usually more excited about older films, especially pre-code ones. We usually look at the response we get on Facebook and Twitter, both of those were very positive, I'm sure this will be a big seller for us.

While you're at it, get another Arrow release: Hideo Sekigawa's Hiroshima. I'd never seen it before Arrow released it, and I was as blown away by it as I was by Black Rain.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Kino discussion...
Mr Insider do you know who has the rights to The Cruel Sea ---- missing on Blu Ray ----any interest

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's Q1 of 2021 - right at the start of the pandemic. When people weren't leaving home much, DVD sales went up significantly. Speculation is that it's from people who have DVD players but didn't really want to stream, or what they wanted to was just wasn't available to stream, so they broke out their "stagnant" DVD players and purchased a few new discs to watch. Overall, sales of all physical media has been declining steadily for years.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Upgrading from DVD to a HD format (either blu or UHD) is a personal thing. I still have many titles on DVD that I'm satisfied with the picture quality and don't have the inclination to upgrade. I'm living on a fixed income and don't have deep pockets so when I'm upgrading there are factors I take into account: the cost (easy if it's $9.99 and on sale, questionable if it's $24.99), is the DVD quality adequate (in most cases, yes), how much do I really need/want the movie, are there features (commentaries, making of docs, interviews etc.) on the HD disc that aren't on the DVD, etc. For example, I still have the DVD of Die Hard and have no desire to upgrade. Would it look "better" in an HD format. I'm sure it would but I'm not as enamored of the film as others are and honestly, it's not that great a movie. On the other hand, I'm one of those who are doing black flips for the upcoming blu of Back To The Beach!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I've noticed, the HTF members are usually more excited about older films, especially pre-code ones. We usually look at the response we get on Facebook and Twitter, both of those were very positive, I'm sure this will be a big seller for us.
I know I am. My collection pretty much runs from the early 30s to the mid to late 60s. I generally don't care for too many (with some exceptions) later because I don't personally care for graphic violence, profanity, etc. Everyone though has their tastes.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
All the people I know that buy DVDs have Blu-ray or UHD players. They bought whatever player was on sale, even though they use them for DVDs only. They buy the DVDs because they're cheaper, look as good as streaming movies to them, or both.

To each his own.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks