What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Well, that's going to disappoint some people. With only two 1940's films I guess there is a little hope for "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" (1946). However, I think there is more hope for "No Man of Her Own" (1950), "The Turning Point" (1952) and "The Desperate Hours" (1955). The same for "The World of Suzie Wong" (1962), "Secret of the Incas" (1954) and "The Scarlet Hour" (1956).

With those parameters, I hope "Lucy Gallant" (1955) makes the cut as it's another of my "holy grails" that I've been waiting on for many years to be released on any home video format. Many years ago, it was one of the first movies I ever streamed on Amazon and it looked awful as an SD digital with some buffering and 1.33 ratio. Perhaps some westerns like "The Tin Star" or "The Lonely Man". I'm afraid "Joker is Wild" won't make the cut due to some right's issues.
The Joker is Wild was on TCM a few months ago. It had never been on before.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
16 titles on UHD is interesting. Let the speculation begin. I would love to see "Sleepy Hollow" or "We Were Soldiers" on UHD. The same with "Chinatown", but perhaps Paramount is doing that one themselves. Anyhow, some other Blu-ray possibilities:

• The Naked Jungle
  • Sorry, Wrong Number
  • The Bridges at Toko-Ri
  • Hell is for Heroes
  • Nevada Smith
  • Five Card Stud
  • Will Penny
  • The Carpetbaggers
  • The Bad News Bears
  • The Longest Yard
  • Dragonslayer
  • Hud
  • The Counterfeit Traitor
  • The Country Girl
  • The Rose Tatoo
  • Comeback, Little Sheba
  • Detective Story
Robert, I can only assume that You mean the two sequel films on blu as Paramount put out a decent Blu of the Matthau, film. Unless if it was to be included as a UHD. Again another great list of titles, that if Paramount hadn't sat out for a long chunk of time, from releasing anything should have already been released. And any would be a welcomed addition. And since Mychal did a Tom Petty on this (Breakdown). Now that we have a better idea at what we are looking at.

So assumptions being what they are, i am assuming one of the 50's tiles is the 3D, and the other a coin toss. The one on your list that will make a lot, LOT! of people happy if it happens would be Dragonslayer.

This is just gonna make watching the announcements all the more interesting.... maybe,:D they need to increase that number of Noir sets past what they thought they were going to do.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, I can only assume that You mean the two sequel films on blu as Paramount put out a decent Blu of the Matthau, film. Unless if it was to be included as a UHD. Again another great list of titles, that if Paramount hadn't sat out for a long chunk of time, from releasing anything should have already been released. And any would be a welcomed addition. And since Mychal did a Tom Petty on this (Breakdown). Now that we have a better idea at what we are looking at.

So assumptions being what they are, i am assuming one of the 50's tiles is the 3D, and the other a coin toss. The one on your list that will make a lot, LOT! of people happy if it happens would be Dragonslayer.

This is just gonna make watching the announcements all the more interesting.... maybe,:D they need to increase that number of Noir sets past what they thought they were going to do.
Due to my sleep deprivation from last night, I totally forgot about that March, 2021 release. However, that's not really an excuse either because I never bought it and I don't remember why that's the case. Was their a PQ issue with that BD release. Anyhow, I'll be rectifying that missed opportunity.

Dick

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I will keep asking for...

BRIDGES AT TOKI-RI, THE
BUCCANEER, THE
CATCH-22
CIVIL ACTION, A
COUNTRY GIRL, THE
DESPERATE HOURS, THE (1955)
DISORDERLY ORDERLY, THE
DRAGONSLAYER
FAIRY TALE: A TRUE STORY
FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY
FEAR STRIKES OUT
FIVE PENNIES, THE
GIFT, THE
GOODBYE COLUMBUS
HOLLYWOOD OR BUST
HONDO (3-D)
HOUSEBOAT
HUD
IF...
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE
KNOCK ON WOOD
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
LIL ABNER
LITTLE PRINCE, THE
LONGEST YARD, THE
LIVING IT UP
LONGEST YARD
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
MURPHY'S WAR
NAKED JUNGLE, THE
NEVADA SMITH
NORTH DALLAS FORTY
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY
NUN'S STORY, THE
ON THE DOUBLE
PAPER MOON
PATSY, THE
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM
POSSE
PRESIDENT'S ANALYST, THE
PRETTY BABY
RACING WITH THE MOON
REAL LIFE
RED TENT, THE
ROMEO AND JULIET (1968)
SEARCHING FOR BOBY FISHER
SIMPLE PLAN, A
SORRY, WRONG NUMBER
SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES
STOOGE, THE
TESTAMENT
TIN STAR, THE
VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
WHITE DOG
WILL PENNY
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

Just a small part of their Paramount's back catalog that has never seen the light of Blu-ray in this country, but it is my own personal 60-title wish list. Just have to wait and see how many of these will turn up in Kino's release announcements.

So, another studio realizes how efficiently Kino's business model works toward filling back catalog titles no one else wants to bother with.

Great news, Kino!
16 titles on UHD is interesting. Let the speculation begin. I would love to see "Sleepy Hollow" or "We Were Soldiers" on UHD. The same with "Chinatown", but perhaps Paramount is doing that one themselves. Anyhow, some other Blu-ray possibilities:

• The Naked Jungle
  • Sorry, Wrong Number
  • The Bridges at Toko-Ri
  • Hell is for Heroes
  • Nevada Smith
  • Five Card Stud
  • Will Penny
  • The Carpetbaggers
  • The Bad News Bears
  • The Longest Yard
  • Dragonslayer
  • Hud
  • The Country Girl
  • The Rose Tatoo
  • Comeback, Little Sheba
  • Detective Story

You had me at DRAGONSLAYER. Would appreciate behind-the-scenes footage and commentary, also. An awful lot of us have been pining for this one, so please make it special!

Dick

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

• The Naked Jungle
  • Sorry, Wrong Number
  • The Bridges at Toko-Ri
  • Hell is for Heroes
  • Nevada Smith
  • Five Card Stud
  • Will Penny
  • The Carpetbaggers
  • The Bad News Bears
  • The Longest Yard
  • Dragonslayer
  • Hud
  • The Country Girl
  • The Rose Tatoo
  • Comeback, Little Sheba
  • Detective Story

You had me at DRAGONSLAYER. Would appreciate behind-the-scenes footage and commentary, also. An awful lot of us have been pining for this one, so please make it special!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

CATCH-22
HONDO (3-D)
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE

OK, after news broke about the new Kino/Paramount deal, I gathered up some details posted by the Kino Insider across different message boards posting about this and I'd thought I'd like to summarize some of the details known so far:

Breakdown
71 titles are in this deal, with 3 renewed titles from the previous deal from both Paramount and CBS apiece
43 titles are making their US Blu-ray debut
8 titles are making their home video debut
16 titles are being released on UHD Blu-ray
At least one 3-D movie is part of the deal
Some of the titles were previously released by Imprint Films
A couple titles are from the Republic Pictures library
A few titles are in the film noir genre

Breakdown of the deal by decade
1940's - 2
1950's - 14
1960's - 12
1970's - 17
1980's - 9
1990's - 8
2000's - 3

Confirmed as NOT part of this deal
Any John Wayne, Elvis Presley, Miramax or TV movies
Any movies previously released on DVD or Blu-ray by Olive Films
Any movies previously released by Paramount on MOD Blu-ray
Any movie serials
Any Silent era movies (even renewals, as the breakdown makes clear)
Any movie currently entangled in some sort of legal rights quagmire (Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Little Darlings, Sunburn, etc.)
Beau James
Borsalino
Catch-22 (confirmed as licensed out to another label)
Compromising Positions (licensed to another label)
Fighting Back (licensed to another label)
Gunn
The Keep (the reason is pretty obvious)
When Worlds Collide (the only title the Insider would confirm as Kino asked for, but was denied)

Hope that helps. I can't wait to see what's coming from Kino in this deal!

No Way To Treat A Lady was just released by Shout Factory/Scream Factory last December.

1653148370422.png

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Another vote here for a Henry Aldrich set. Also some neglected musicals such as LADY IN THE DARK and THE JOKER IS WILD. Finally, an all but forgotten 1940 film ... THE WAY OF ALL FLESH ... and the Bob Hope Oscar bid BEAU JAMES.
I would love Aldrich too but they are with Universal NOT Paramount I know of a firm that offered a price for a deal on them and so far Univesarl has not approved

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Would hope opens classics from Republic like all those great serials and maybe Terrytoons! 1940's Mighty Mouse! Okay see no serials in the dealio -------VCI c'mon contact Paramount!

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Robert as soon as the deal with Paramount was announced, other than a few select titles i started thinking of the seriously overlooked Paramount output of cartoons, no they don't have the same name recognition as Loony Tunes, or the following of MGM, but what they do have is Max and Dave Fleisher, and later Famous Studios.

Also, from what the Insider has said in the past, outside some very serious Animation Aficionados, animation even in complete sets didn't move as well, I am thankful that the went the distance with the DePatie / Freling Collections, but don't know if they would be willing to invest the time and effort into that again.

this is where it gets sticky, because like music issues, cartoons can be their own special issue, Max and Dave's Popeye is under license to another entity. Same for Betty Boop, Casper got grabbed up by Shout because of Harvey Comics. The George Pal Puppetoons are in great hands with Arnold Leibovit Entertainment, and i might add, as close to perfect as can be.

would gladly accept the Terrytoons and possibly what remains of the Fleisher that is available to release, as an aside note, The Fleisher Estate in conjunction with Paramount is currently working to restore the entire Fleischer Studios collection of shorts.

for more on that https://www.fleischerstudios.com/filmography.html

the one caveat in all of this would be one very specific Popeye and/or Casper cartoon, if it was at all possible, with the possibility of a 1950's 3D title, I could see the combined efforts of both Kino and 3D Film Archive trying to get

1653153542230.png
or
1653153746393.png

that is if either one of those would be available??? Only time and announcements will tell.

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Robert as soon as the deal with Paramount was announced, other than a few select titles i started thinking of the seriously overlooked Paramount output of cartoons, no they don't have the same name recognition as Loony Tunes, or the following of MGM, but what they do have is Max and Dave Fleisher, and later Famous Studios.

Also, from what the Insider has said in the past, outside some very serious Animation Aficionados, animation even in complete sets didn't move as well, I am thankful that the went the distance with the DePatie / Freling Collections, but don't know if they would be willing to invest the time and effort into that again.

this is where it gets sticky, because like music issues, cartoons can be their own special issue, Max and Dave's Popeye is under license to another entity. Same for Betty Boop, Casper got grabbed up by Shout because of Harvey Comics. The George Pal Puppetoons are in great hands with Arnold Leibovit Entertainment, and i might add, as close to perfect as can be.

would gladly accept the Terrytoons and possibly what remains of the Fleisher that is available to release, as an aside note, The Fleisher Estate in conjunction with Paramount is currently working to restore the entire Fleischer Studios collection of shorts.

for more on that https://www.fleischerstudios.com/filmography.html

the one caveat in all of this would be one very specific Popeye and/or Casper cartoon, if it was at all possible, with the possibility of a 1950's 3D title, I could see the combined efforts of both Kino and 3D Film Archive trying to get

View attachment 139370 or View attachment 139371

that is if either one of those would be available??? Only time and announcements will tell.
GREAT POST Dana! VCI would release Terrytoons in a heartbeat! No one at CBS/Paramount seems to realize they own them and when I was assisting FOX do their Miracle on 34th St 1947 dvd the head honcho their told me they knew FOX had them theatrically and would have loved to have vid rights!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

BRIDGES AT TOKI-RI, THE
BUCCANEER, THE
CATCH-22
CIVIL ACTION, A
COUNTRY GIRL, THE
DESPERATE HOURS, THE (1955)
DISORDERLY ORDERLY, THE
DRAGONSLAYER
FAIRY TALE: A TRUE STORY
FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY
FEAR STRIKES OUT
FIVE PENNIES, THE
GIFT, THE
GOODBYE COLUMBUS
HOLLYWOOD OR BUST
HONDO (3-D)
HOUSEBOAT
HUD
IF...
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE
KNOCK ON WOOD
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
LIL ABNER
LITTLE PRINCE, THE
LONGEST YARD, THE
LIVING IT UP
LONGEST YARD
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
MURPHY'S WAR
NAKED JUNGLE, THE
NEVADA SMITH
NORTH DALLAS FORTY
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY
NUN'S STORY, THE
ON THE DOUBLE
PAPER MOON
PATSY, THE
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM
POSSE
PRESIDENT'S ANALYST, THE
PRETTY BABY
RACING WITH THE MOON
REAL LIFE
RED TENT, THE
ROMEO AND JULIET (1968)
SEARCHING FOR BOBY FISHER
SIMPLE PLAN, A
SORRY, WRONG NUMBER
SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES
STOOGE, THE
TESTAMENT
TIN STAR, THE
VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET
WAITING FOR SUPERMAN
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
WHITE DOG
WILL PENNY
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

Just a small part of their Paramount's back catalog that has never seen the light of Blu-ray in this country, but it is my own personal 60-title wish list. Just have to wait and see how many of these will turn up in Kino's release announcements.

So, another studio realizes how efficiently Kino's business model works toward filling back catalog titles no one else wants to bother with.

Great news, Kino!

Assuming "this country" is the USA, and you mean the Heston/Brynner remake of THE BUCCANEER, it was released on Blu-Ray by Olive Films.
1653157108471.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RGG
    Recent bookmarks