What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (13 Viewers)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am 100% interested in that Imprint Noir Collection with those four movies, but with Kino's deal with Paramount, they may have the same titles. I hope by August 31st Kino will shed some light aka announce / deny titles from that Noir collection. This is where it gets conflicting. I usually wait on importing movies just in case a US label has the same movie. Imprints Noir set is limited to 1,000 so I cant wait too long! Please let us know KL ASAP :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I’d take that and something that rhymes with “Pondo”.

I don't likely see John Wayne's Paramount years being released by anyone else but them. John's too much of cash cow to let go.
Except that Hondo was a WB release back in the day, and a rather excellent 3D DCP already exists. I don’t think Paramount would describe its 2D Blu-ray as a “cash cow”; it sold moderately well, but not massively well.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I sincerely hope the new deal with Paramount will result in first time releases of My Six Loves and The Pleasure of His Company.
I second The Pleasure of His Company, featuring exquisite performances from Debbie Reynolds and Fred Astaire. A joyful and exuberant movie. Blue Hawaii is LONG overdue for a Blu-ray release. But Paramount won't let it go or release it themselves. Hmmmm. Don't buy the music rights issue as Paramount had no problem releasing lackluster DVD's of their entire Elvis catalog, repackaged multiple times.

My impression of Kino's output in general is this: when the studio supplying them with the digital files has done their due diligence the results are well worth the effort. When otherwise, the transfers are not worth the cost of the disc they've been stamped on.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
There's one Paramount I'd love to see - Henry Winkler's "The One and Only" (1978) directed by Carl Reiner (Between "Oh, God" and "The Jerk") - I don't think it ever got a DVD release...and come to think of it, was it ever on VHS/Beta?
It's available on Blu-ray, DVD and to rent or purchase on Amazon Prime. The DVD (from Olive) is only a little over 5 bucks.

Attachments

• one 1.jpg
    one 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 16
  • one 2.jpg
    one 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 20

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
A previous poster mentioned "Mambo", Had no idea this one was with Paramount. It's a steamy (by 50's standards) and very entertaining Italian melodrama with a great international cast (Silvana Mangano, Michael Rennie, Shelley Winters and Vittorio Gassman). I'd snap this one up pronto.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Blu-ray releases on some of the A.C. Lyles westerns from the 60's. There were thirteen of them produced between 1964 and 1968 (all in color). And each one serves as a nostalgic round-up of faces familiar from the 40's and 50's, Including Dana Andrews, Jane Russell, Howard Keel, Linda Darnell, Dale Robertson, Virginia Mayo, George Montgomery and Yvonne De Carlo. Not to mention venerable western icons like Don "Red" Barry, Bob Steele and Fuzzy Knight. My favorite's "Apache Trail" from '65 with Rory Calhoun, John Russell and Corinne Calvet, all still in great form.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's one Paramount I'd love to see - Henry Winkler's "The One and Only" (1978) directed by Carl Reiner (Between "Oh, God" and "The Jerk") - I don't think it ever got a DVD release...and come to think of it, was it ever on VHS/Beta?
Olive released a BD of that one:

And there are at least 2 DVD releases - one from Legend and another from Olive.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Except that Hondo was a WB release back in the day, and a rather excellent 3D DCP already exists. I don’t think Paramount would describe its 2D Blu-ray as a “cash cow”; it sold moderately well, but not massively well.

John Wayne Films over all are a cash cows though. He along with Audrey Hepburn's Paramount films normally sell well or they're wouldn't be X amount releases of the their films on DVD and Blu as there are.

Cash Cows don't necessarily have to sell millions each time there re-released, as long as they sell well enough that's all the studio cares about.

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
Looking for Mr. Goodbar music clearance tab is in the six figures.
Do you know if this is just because of the amount of music in the film, or is there a particular hold-out (whether or not you could say who that might be)? So many films have had music complicated rights issues cleared up for dvd release that I'm surprised when there is a title like this one and Little Darlings that, at this point, are going to be niche releases but have such high music clearance costs.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I'd suspect Music clearances on those would be costly! Sure, they'd sell well 'cause they are Elvis, but still...
The situation with music rights is not always the same for all music. Paramount may hold the rights for the music In the Elvis films because the music most likely was written for these movies and includes the use of the music everywhere. This is different from something like "Looking For Mr. Goodbar" which licensed existing music for use in a movie theater and possibly for broadcast TV but not home video use. I believe "Looking For Mr. Goodbar " was released on VHS with music substitutions.

One thing notice now that I wouldn't have noticed years ago was where an MGM movie didn't have an original score and the movie had background music, the music was always from MGM movies because they owned the music. A movie like "The Reluctant Debutante" is an example of this .

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
John Wayne Films over all are a cash cows though. He along with Audrey Hepburn's Paramount films normally sell well or they're wouldn't be X amount releases of the their films on DVD and Blu as there are.

Cash Cows don't necessarily have to sell millions each time there re-released, as long as they sell well enough that's all the studio cares about.
Fair points, but I don't think Paramount [like nearly every other studio] has any confidence that a Hondo 3D disc will sell in numbers justifying them releasing it themselves; after all, the 2D disc released in 2012 is still available for under $10 at Amazon, and 3D is such a niche market now, that even Sony is licencing 3D releases of recent hits [Spider-Man: No Way Home] in other regions. i say this as a hardcore 3D fan who is anticipating purchasing a 3D capable projector for when my Panny plasma finally dies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
i say this as a hardcore 3D fan who is anticipating purchasing a 3D capable projector for when my Panny plasma finally dies.

Probably don't wait too long, if you want a good 3D, 4K PJ (at least in the <=$5K range). Not clear how much longer they'll remain available (w/out paying huge premium or possibly being relegated to non-4K and/or inferior options) given what might become a new trend at Epson and JVC...

_Man_

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
One thing notice now that I wouldn't have noticed years ago was where an MGM movie didn't have an original score and the movie had background music, the music was always from MGM movies because they owned the music. A movie like "The Reluctant Debutante" is an example of this .
Columbia is another studio that often recycled its scores. An example is Screaming Mimi (1958) with Anita Ekberg which doesn't have a credited score but uses Leonard Bernstein's score to On The Waterfront. Reputedly, this was why Bernstein never again composed a film score after OTW. He didn't own the rights to his music, the studio did.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably don't wait too long, if you want a good 3D, 4K PJ (at least in the <=$5K range). Not clear how much longer they'll remain available (w/out paying huge premium or possibly being relegated to non-4K and/or inferior options) given what might become a new trend at Epson and JVC...

_Man_
There's also the option of doing a jury-rig with 2 projectors and polarising or colour interference filters.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Columbia is another studio that often recycled its scores. An example is Screaming Mimi (1958) with Anita Ekberg which doesn't have a credited score but uses Leonard Bernstein's score to On The Waterfront. Reputedly, this was why Bernstein never again composed a film score after OTW. He didn't own the rights to his music, the studio did.
In "North By Northwest" they play "It's A Most Unusual Day" at the Plaza when Cary Grant enters and gets kidnapped .

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Seems like when Hondo was released on 2D Blu-ray, it was mentioned that the movie was controlled by the John Wayne estate who have in its possession a fine 3D master of the movie and deliberately chose not to release it (maybe thinking the costs wouldn't be recouped by the release). It could have been put on the regular release as a bonus feature, but I guess no one considered that.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Very excited about the Paramount deal. But I hope that most of the titles aren't just upgrades from previous DVD releases, you know, the usual suspects but instead movies making their R1 disc debuts:

About Mrs. Leslie (1954)
Alaska Seas (1954)
Amorous Adventures Of Moll Flanders (1965)
Beau James (1957)
Birds And The Bees (1956)
Black Spurs (1965)
Bliss Of Mrs. Blossom (1968)
Botany Bay (1953)
Buster Keaton Story (1957)
Five Branded Women (1960)
Girl Rush (1955)
Hell's Island (1955)
Here Come The Girls (1953)
Hostile Guns (1967)
Hot Spell (1958)
Joker Is Wild (1957)
Judith (1966)
Kid Rodelo (1966)
Let's Dance (1950)
Lucy Gallant (1955)
Mambo (1955)
Mating Season (1951)
My Six Loves (1963)
Oh Dad Poor Dad Mama's Hung You In The Closet (1967)
Omar Khayyam (1957)
Peking Express (1951)
Pleasure Of His Company (1961)
Proud And The Profane (1956)
Rat Race (1960)
Sad Sack (1957)
Sebastian (1968)
Secret Of The Incas (1954)
September Affair (1950)
St. Louis Blues (1958)
Sylvia (1965)
Tempest (1959)
That Certain Feeling (1956)
That Kind Of Woman (1959)
3 Ring Circus (1954)
Thunder In The Sun (1959)
Touch Of Larceny (1960)
Wild Is The Wind (1957)
Wives And Lovers (1963)
Terrific list, Thomas; I hope all or at least a majority of them get released. My top three hopes for titles to be released from this most recent Paramount deal and they are long shots by any measure:

Omar Khayyam (1957) - I have the VHS release and had long hoped for a DVD release that never materialized

Secrets of the Incas (1954)

St. Louis Blue (1958)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks